Cork underlay on inclines

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
kingmi53

Cork underlay on inclines

Post by kingmi53 »

I've just installed the Woodland Scenics 3% inclines. Fixing them to the base cork was easy enough but when it came to fixing the cork track underlay (I'm using 1mm cork sheet) my gluing method was obviously wrong as I tried pva and it didn't work. The Woodland Scenics Foam Tack Glue is recommended but is £23 a bottle! Can anyone recommend a tried and test alternative adhesive. Thanks.
Ironduke

Re: Cork underlay on inclines

Post by Ironduke »

Water-based construction adhesive (Liquid Nails) is about the only thing I've found that will reliably stick Styrofoam without melting it. Read the label to check it specifically mentions Styrofoam or polystyrene foam as one of the things it can be used for.
Regards
Rob
RAF96

Re: Cork underlay on inclines

Post by RAF96 »

I have used a modern foaming PVA adhesive to secure a variety of normally difficult materials but It is not cheap (16 euro for 750G bottle). A word of warning though - you do not need much as it is like 'silly' foam - it grows and grows as it absorbs moisture from the air and can displace component parts if not held securely in place. Sets like concrete.

I have even used it to stick outdoor patio tiles down again, where a bulky cement cannot be used.

The sort I used is indoor-outdoor and even sea-waterproof and sticks wood to anything, therefore most things to most other things.
Name of - Bison PU-Max, Polyurethane Wood Adhesive D4.

Back to the OP - I would have thought bog standard Copydex (latex based glue ) would have been ideal for a polystyrene to cork joint.
Rob
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester