New N Gauge build - advice needed

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
YorkRail

New N Gauge build - advice needed

Postby YorkRail » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:27 pm

Hi all,

I've had a 00 gauge layout for a while which I've enjoyed but I've hit a wall with it - some of you might recall I'm the guy with a layout running on a dado/shelf near the ceiling of my living room! The thread for that layout is here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=40837&p=610226&hilit=ainsty#p610226

The biggest problem with it is because of the design, it's very difficult to take apart so it can be brought down to clean....one section is 9ft which is virtually impossible to disconnect, take down, clean, then reconnect smoothly. So now a lot of the track is very dusty and things no longer run smoothly. Plus it can't be extended and I've long had an ambition to have it able to run in a loop, rather than end to end.

So N gauge it is. My plan is to take the old 00 gauge layout down, sell everything bit by bit, and that should fund a new N gauge layout.

It's still in the planning, I won't bore you with details and why I've decided on not having electrics etc for now:

- Baseboards in smaller section so I can take them apart easily.
- Points controlled by hand.
- Will just run 1 train at a time.
- Scenery such as ballast can be kept to a minimum because you can't view it anyway.
- Will have 2 stations, a tunnel, a cricket pitch, a goods yard, a carriage shed, a brewery and possibly a coastal scene.
- Needs a continuous loop.
- Will follow a similar theme to my old layout, with it being loosely based on the North Yorks Moors Heritage Railway.

Can you have a look at this layout which is horribly out of scale (it's just a guide for now), and tell me if there's likely to be any power issues, assuming I put the power in where the red circle is. I'd only run a train on one section at a time e.g. in the loop, or going from one end to the other.

Thankyou

19489378_10155456297374920_345122439_n.jpg
19489378_10155456297374920_345122439_n.jpg (170.75 KiB) Viewed 389 times

Thanks in advance

TimberSurf

Re: New N Gauge build - advice needed

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:46 pm

Looks like the right position to me.
I would suggest you consider a box section construction, to keep the boards light. Say a 19x19mm ladder frame sandwiched between two sheets of 3mm ply.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Emettman

Re: New N Gauge build - advice needed

Postby Emettman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:50 pm

Thoughts:

For N, having double track takes up not much more space, and would allow two trains to circulate while attending to shunting elsewhere.
A good space-saving place to have stations and sidings can be inside the end pear-shaped loops.

with 11" + 12" curves (probably hidden) as a minimum, baseboards need to be just over 2ft wide but only at those ends.

For minimal ballasting Kato, Tomix and Fleischmann all do pre-ballasted N gauge track, including flexible (at least for Fleischmann): just blend in the shoulders.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Return to “Track/Layout Design”