What can I build on a 6ft board

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
jackshepherd

What can I build on a 6ft board

Postby jackshepherd » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:20 am

Hi fellow forum members, I'm in need of some advice, would anyone be able to show me what kind of track plan I could fit onto a 6ft by 1 1/2 ft board, i know it seems very small, but I don't have the space in my bedroom for anything bigger, plus as I don't have the technology to create a track plan myself i was wondering if anyone could help me please. The only points I need to make is that the scenic area is 4 ft long with the other 2 ft being fiddle yard, I'd like it to be a branch terminus with a few Sidings if able, and I'd like the platform to be straight. I look forward to seeing your ideas. Thank you :D :D
Modelling a railway is a form of art, which means there's no such thing as perfection....

Emettman

Re: What can I build on a 6ft board

Postby Emettman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:52 am

On a 6ft by 1 1/2 ft board, a lot of things can be built.
It's about choices and compromises.

Does it have to be OO? The space might seem more suitable for N or OO9, though something interesting could be done in industrial 0:16.5, too.

Any particular preference for the style/mechanics of the fiddle yard?
I suspect cassettes will serve best here.

I will see if I can sketch something.
Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

jackshepherd

Postby jackshepherd » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:05 pm

Emettman wrote:On a 6ft by 1 1/2 ft board, a lot of things can be built.
It's about choices and compromises.

Does it have to be OO? The space might seem more suitable for N or OO9, though something interesting could be done in industrial 0:16.5, too.

Any particular preference for the style/mechanics of the fiddle yard?
I suspect cassettes will serve best here.

I will see if I can sketch something.
Chris

Thank you Chris, yes it will be 00 gauge, as I have a few items of stock, and if possible could it be a 2 road fiddle yard please, I would use cassettes but as the layout as only staying in my bedroom i will just put the stock on by hand. Look forward to seeing your idea. Plus need to mention id like to have a run round loop too please if possible.
Modelling a railway is a form of art, which means there's no such thing as perfection....

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:45 pm

Let's see.

The biggest constraint here was the priority for a straight platform, which meant using Peco small electrofrog R & L points rather than the small elecrofrog Y, shown separately.
As is, the run round will cope with 2 9" (57ft) coaches, and a small tank engine, or one full-length coach with a push-pull loco.
Three 23" lines are in the fiddle yard, to match.

Using the Y's (and probably trimming a couple) a lens shaped island platform could be made with two usable platform faces and a little more siding length achieved.
Anything more would need the unusual, such as a sector plate loco release (as at Bembridge)

Space being tight, the saving of five inches, or even half an inch several times, can make a difference.
Two of the short Y's "as new" and "as trimmed"

[URL=http://s644.photobucket.com/user/Emettman/media/DSC00809_zpsyzuum1ia.jpg.html]Image[/URL

20mm saved. Enough, sometimes, to move just impossible to just possible.

Chris

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:53 pm

I'm currently building an Inglenook Shunting Puzzle.
Just under 50" long and 18" wide. With space for just
11 wagons, if you work with 9 wagons getting into a
specific order can take ages and much thought. It only
needs 2 points ........

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

jackshepherd

Postby jackshepherd » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:16 pm

Emettman wrote:Let's see.

The biggest constraint here was the priority for a straight platform, which meant using Peco small electrofrog R & L points rather than the small elecrofrog Y, shown separately.
As is, the run round will cope with 2 9" (57ft) coaches, and a small tank engine, or one full-length coach with a push-pull loco.
Three 23" lines are in the fiddle yard, to match.

Using the Y's (and probably trimming a couple) a lens shaped island platform could be made with two usable platform faces and a little more siding length achieved.
Anything more would need the unusual, such as a sector plate loco release (as at Bembridge)

Space being tight, the saving of five inches, or even half an inch several times, can make a difference.
Two of the short Y's "as new" and "as trimmed"

[URL=http://s644.photobucket.com/user/Emettman/media/DSC00809_zpsyzuum1ia.jpg.html]Image[/URL

20mm saved. Enough, sometimes, to move just impossible to just possible.

Chris

Thanks for that Chris, i just need to wait for my baseboard and I'll get started

Richard Lee

Postby Richard Lee » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:03 pm

My plan is a variation of my favourite branch line terminus plan. Although I have shown it on an 18" wide board, you could fit it in a narrower baseboard. It doesn't look as nice as Emettman's, though. :oops:

I used a 25" length of track between the 2 sets of small radius Peco Streamline Code 75 points for the straight platform. Because the points are the short ones, I have set the minimum radius for curves as 2'. The loco release is 7", which should be plenty for something like a Terrier or a former LSWR O2. You would use either a couple of short bogie coaches or a small number of (about 4) 4 wheel coaches for passenger traffic. I think that you need the two goods sidings, if everything is that short. You would have to use the cassette fiddle yard for shunting, I am afraid, as if it is a one engine in steam branch line.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:32 pm

Dave wrote:As the builder of quite a few small layouts I would say you can get quite a lot in 6'.

Your fiddle yard doesn't need to fill the full width of the board. It is quite easy to use just the back half of the board for fiddle purposes and have the front scenic.

In this example the four tracks on the traverser at the rear are hidden behind a backscene created across the middle of the board:

I agree with that as a definite possibility. since It adds significant siding and scenic space,
but it makes access to the fiddle yard that bit more awkward for lifting locos. Choices, choices!

Chris

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:11 pm

I did a quick sketch with Y's (untrimmed) and there certainly seems room for an extra siding.
The curved "run round" seems to give more of light railway feel contrasting with what a bigger, more orderly railway might be expected to have.

As with the first sketch, shunting does not normally need to use the fiddle yard.

Chris

jackshepherd

Postby jackshepherd » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:34 am

Thank you for the advice guys, and thank you Chris for the track plans, i will try and mimic your design in some way, plus I like the Idea of having small trains. The reason I'm building such a small layout is because I don't have much spare time to build a larger layout, so something this small will be lovely to build.

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:53 am

You don't need to get the whole loop on the scenic bit, have two lines running offstage and use the fiddle yard as the other end of the run-round. That gets you a bit more space. My first layout was 6' plus removable fiddle yard - could you extend if the fiddle yard was only up for running sessions ? For cassettes it needn't be much more than a bare 2 foot board.

Portwilliam original.jpg
Portwilliam original.jpg (19.1 KiB) Viewed 1864 times
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

jackshepherd

Postby jackshepherd » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:22 am

if I didn't have a curve at the entrance to the station, and the line went straight along the baseboard, what kind of track plan could I get. Id like the run round loop to be able to hold a jinty size locomotive, ive seen some layouts there the station track plan basically starts as soon as the fiddle yard ends, with enough track for a loco to stand without going into the fiddle yard.

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:31 am

Slightly less, Jack, by putting the station at an angle to the board it give you a little more space, just like using the Y points... I know it sounds counter-intuitive but it does work not running everything parallel with the baseboard edge... And, in my view, it makes it look more interesting as well having more angles...

jackshepherd

Postby jackshepherd » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:52 am

b308 wrote:Slightly less, Jack, by putting the station at an angle to the board it give you a little more space, just like using the Y points... I know it sounds counter-intuitive but it does work not running everything parallel with the baseboard edge... And, in my view, it makes it look more interesting as well having more angles...

That's fair enough, so with the size of the loop, what size train will I be able to run.

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:08 am

That depends on the stock you are using! Not very long, though... I'd be tempted to use either 4 or 6 wheeled stock rather than bogie stock, though short bogie stock may fit... Forget BRMk1s though!

Return to “Track/Layout Design”