What can I build on a 6ft board

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Emettman

Re: What can I build on a 6ft board

Postby Emettman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:42 pm

About 50 sheets of paper is right to settle on a whole "blank canvas" design.

Raliway museum...
Offers flexibility.
First thought Turntable, or not? A good way of getting a lot of locos on display and still be able to move them.
Some railway museums and centres that have expanded have ended up with very model-railway like appearances.

Options for a second gauge of track: a narrow gauge, miniature railway or narrow gauge tram service to take visitors around the site.
(Or fetch them from the local town, offstage.)

A long diagonal line would be the obvious start point, and develop from there.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

jackshepherd

Postby jackshepherd » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:26 pm

Emettman wrote:About 50 sheets of paper is right to settle on a whole "blank canvas" design.

Raliway museum...
Offers flexibility.
First thought Turntable, or not? A good way of getting a lot of locos on display and still be able to move them.
Some railway museums and centres that have expanded have ended up with very model-railway like appearances.

Options for a second gauge of track: a narrow gauge, miniature railway or narrow gauge tram service to take visitors around the site.
(Or fetch them from the local town, offstage.)

A long diagonal line would be the obvious start point, and develop from there.

Chris

thanks chris, not really a turntable based one as I hope to run some rolling stock too, more a dead end branch line, i.e small station and short running line, plus collection on sidings.
Modelling a railway is a form of art, which means there's no such thing as perfection....

jackshepherd

Postby jackshepherd » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:11 pm

What i am thinking of doing is a new railway kind of layout, have the whole board scenic and imagine that the branch station is a recently set up railway with a short running line, but off scene is a disused track bed which the railway are planning on building on, but to bring money in they run trains out of the station on the short line.
Modelling a railway is a form of art, which means there's no such thing as perfection....

Return to “Track/Layout Design”