What can I build on a 6ft board

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
jackshepherd

Re: What can I build on a 6ft board

Postby jackshepherd » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:10 am

b308 wrote:That depends on the stock you are using! Not very long, though... I'd be tempted to use either 4 or 6 wheeled stock rather than bogie stock, though short bogie stock may fit... Forget BRMk1s though!

so wouldn't a single br mk1 fit in the loop?
Modelling a railway is a form of art, which means there's no such thing as perfection....

jackshepherd

Postby jackshepherd » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:37 am

Dave wrote:Jack,

Turn the question on its head...

Rather than what can you build in 6ft, ask yourself what you want to build, a station, goods yard, coal merchant etc, and then look how you can squeeze it into the available space.

The world of building micro layouts can be very rewarding, and six feet can be massive.

Have a look on this web site: http://www.carendt.com

That's true dave, I have a few ideas now. I would like to eventually be able to take it to exhibitions.
Modelling a railway is a form of art, which means there's no such thing as perfection....

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:43 am

It'll probably fit a single Mk1 but would it look realistic?

That sort of layout is based on a small branchline/light railway practice and for the majority of such lines you wouldn't normally see a Mk1. You may get "cascaded" stock such as the old pre nationalization 57 footers or suburban stock but often you would get even older stuff like I mentioned earlier.

I agree with Dave, you need to step back and think on it for a while. I don't know what stock you have but in that space you have two alternatives, a suburban station which will handle (short) mainline trains or a branchline which is really only suitable for small short trains of older stock, not mainline stuff.

Either way operation is fairly limited, though if you like shunting then the branchline is a better bet as Chris has shown...

Out of interest what stock have you already got? Perhaps we could try to think of something more suitable for you if we knew that...

jackshepherd

Postby jackshepherd » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:31 pm

b308 wrote:It'll probably fit a single Mk1 but would it look realistic?

That sort of layout is based on a small branchline/light railway practice and for the majority of such lines you wouldn't normally see a Mk1. You may get "cascaded" stock such as the old pre nationalization 57 footers or suburban stock but often you would get even older stuff like I mentioned earlier.

I agree with Dave, you need to step back and think on it for a while. I don't know what stock you have but in that space you have two alternatives, a suburban station which will handle (short) mainline trains or a branchline which is really only suitable for small short trains of older stock, not mainline stuff.

Either way operation is fairly limited, though if you like shunting then the branchline is a better bet as Chris has shown...

Out of interest what stock have you already got? Perhaps we could try to think of something more suitable for you if we knew that...

well I only have a br blue class 105 dmu, a Hornby pug and a sentinel shunter in red, no rolling stock as of yet.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:01 pm

jackshepherd wrote:
That's fair enough, so with the size of the loop, what size train will I be able to run.

My sketches allowed for two 57' (9 inch) coaches plus a small 0-6-0 (giving a 23" fiddle yard with definitely no room for a pointwork "ladder")
Push-pull services might be likely. A 15xx plus autocoach, for example.

stuartp is right: putting part of the loop off-stage can give more room to the station area, but it does mean a lot more work for the fiddle yard.

Other options: do the whole area as a loco depot, and have big(ger) engines, but no coaches except perhaps for a decrepit workmans' one at shift changes. A small yard loco would push coal, ash and the occasional van of stores and spares.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:13 pm

jackshepherd wrote:
well I only have a br blue class 105 dmu, a Hornby pug and a sentinel shunter in red, no rolling stock as of yet.

Now that has some odd possibilities
The 105 pair would work on the layouts I've drawn, but if we go to stuart's "part hidden" station idea, then a bay platform would be possible.
If that was "BR" and serviced the DMU, the other platform face and sidings would be for a preserved railway, which could run just about any combination of anything
If the Bay <=> Fiddle Yard was a separate line, the DMU could operate on a shuttle, independent of the rest of the layout.
I'm not sure if there would be room (width) in the fiddle yard for that. To be examined if the idea appeals.

Chris.

jackshepherd

Postby jackshepherd » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:18 pm

Emettman wrote:
jackshepherd wrote:
That's fair enough, so with the size of the loop, what size train will I be able to run.

My sketches allowed for two 57' (9 inch) coaches plus a small 0-6-0 (giving a 23" fiddle yard with definitely no room for a pointwork "ladder")
Push-pull services might be likely. A 15xx plus autocoach, for example.

stuartp is right: putting part of the loop off-stage can give more room to the station area, but it does mean a lot more work for the fiddle yard.

Other options: do the whole area as a loco depot, and have big(ger) engines, but no coaches except perhaps for a decrepit workmans' one at shift changes. A small yard loco would push coal, ash and the occasional van of stores and spares.

Chris

I would do a loco yard but I don't run dcc, so wouldn't be able to hold all those locos, I like the idea of a small branch line, small trains etc. unfortunaly I am one of many modellers that get temped by all the fancy locomotives and stock that you can find, so if I have a small layout and think about the sort of trains I want to run, it means I wont be temped to buy everything I see.

jackshepherd

Postby jackshepherd » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:19 pm

Emettman wrote:
jackshepherd wrote:

Now that has some odd possibilities
The 105 pair would work on the layouts I've drawn, but if we go to stuart's "part hidden" station idea, then a bay platform would be possible.
If that was "BR" and serviced the DMU, the other platform face and sidings would be for a preserved railway, which could run just about any combination of anything
If the Bay <=> Fiddle Yard was a separate line, the DMU could operate on a shuttle, independent of the rest of the layout.
I'm not sure if there would be room (width) in the fiddle yard for that. To be examined if the idea appeals.

Chris.

that is a good idea, have a shuttle mainline and a small preserved line in the front, that's a possibility

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:43 pm

New variant(s), then.

As in the drawing, my first thought was that it would just be possible to model the DMU line as a through station, with enough station building/waiting rooms on the platform. Yes, but just.
A terminal bay for the DMU wouldn't need the buildings to hide behind.

The terminus side has slightly increased capacity, but *looks* considerably less cramped.
In return for that, the sector plate has to work overtime.
(personal preference, no rule: I find sector plates easier to engineer and align than parallel traversers.
I've found a lazy way of doing it, no real accuracy required.)

Again, only personal feel: whether through or terminus,the single DMU line seemed a little improbable, and a matching line beyond it, out-of-use to derelict, would add a sense of a station reduced from better days.
This might be too much of a challenge for the 18" width.
That might have to be played with using full size track and temporary platforms to see what would work (only if the idea appeals.)

Chris.

jackshepherd

Postby jackshepherd » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:47 am

Thank you chris, I think I will stick with the branch line design, I plan to have all the sidings running the same way, as i'll be running dc so the power supply will come from the entrance track.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:11 pm

jackshepherd wrote:Thank you chris, I think I will stick with the branch line design, I plan to have all the sidings running the same way, as i'll be running dc so the power supply will come from the entrance track.

First, a reminder of rule 1: it's your railway and you have it how YOU want it.

You might find reversing that short (loco?) siding is awkward on width, but there's no electrical problem: it only needs two isolated joiners between it and the first, entrance, point, and jumper wires from the main feed to the toe of the point to supply that siding and everything left of it.

With live-frog points you'd need another section anyway, to feed the loco run-round end and its associated point.
Three sections (+3 in fiddle yard) each with a simple on-off switch for isolation would be standard, so that a loco can stand *anywhere* while another is moving.

Chris

jackshepherd

Postby jackshepherd » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:52 pm

Emettman wrote:
jackshepherd wrote:Thank you chris, I think I will stick with the branch line design, I plan to have all the sidings running the same way, as i'll be running dc so the power supply will come from the entrance track.

First, a reminder of rule 1: it's your railway and you have it how YOU want it.

You might find reversing that short (loco?) siding is awkward on width, but there's no electrical problem: it only needs two isolated joiners between it and the first, entrance, point, and jumper wires from the main feed to the toe of the point to supply that siding and everything left of it.

With live-frog points you'd need another section anyway, to feed the loco run-round end and its associated point.
Three sections (+3 in fiddle yard) each with a simple on-off switch for isolation would be standard, so that a loco can stand *anywhere* while another is moving.

Chris

I don't use live frogs personally, as i'll be using Hornby settrack, so they will be dead frogs, but thank you for the advice.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:28 pm

jackshepherd wrote:
I don't use live frogs personally, as i'll be using Hornby settrack, so they will be dead frogs, but thank you for the advice.

Ah, OK.
The Y points i used (available dead or live frog) are shorter (5.83") than the Hornby/Peco Setrack points (6.61") whereas the L & R turnouts are longer at 7.24".
You will find the Hornby points give you that bit less and bit more room, respectively, in comparison.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:27 pm

This little layout is well under six feet in length even with its plug in fiddle yard on the end.
The "baseboard" is an upturned poly-foam tray that held some car parts the front face and the backscene are foam core mountboard.
The backscene is a panoramic view I shot in the Lake District slightly photo shopped to introduce a light dusting of snow. The frosted hedges on the road are Green Scene ones that they picked out for me before they received their foliage. The loco shed is home brewed, the station building an Alphgraphics kit. Stock is borrowed from my collection of four wheeled locos, coaches and wagons. By the use of some switchable end sections it's possible to work with two locos at a time, the biggest used being an 0-6-0 Terrier, the smallest the 0-4-0 Sentinel. Two diodes can be switched in to the end sections along with a shuttle module to allow a railcar to be used unattended. There's a backstory woven around the stationmaster figure who stands in the his doorway, and the sequence of moves takes about 15 minutes, quite long enough for an exhibition crowd. Used at home it forms a quite complex shunting puzzle.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

jackshepherd

Postby jackshepherd » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:32 pm

Right I have a idea in my head now, as it will be a home layout, I was thinking about the idea of a railway centre kind of layout, similar to a depot layout, so there would be no hidden track, so its like the east Anglian railway museum, a small running line, and sidings for stock and locomotives. I have 2 dc controllers so have more power supply, does anyone have some suggestions. I do apologize about going on about different plans, its just I want it to be a test track kind of layout, as I do like collecting stock, its just I am always busy with work etc I don't have much time or the room to build a big layout.

Return to “Track/Layout Design”