Sound deadening under track?

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
shezza2

Sound deadening under track?

Postby shezza2 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi all, if I were to put some sort of sound insulation under track to quieten the engine wheels would it cut down on the sound from the DCC module?

smeghead28

Re: Sound deadening under track?

Postby smeghead28 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:38 pm

Track laid onto a bare board does make more noise that track laid on something such as cork or foam underlay.
Are you asking if it would effect a sound chip or the mechanical/electrical noise from the loco, couldn't quite understand what you meant?
In a sound equipped DCC loco with a downward facing speaker and foam under the track some of the sound might be absorbed by the foam I suppose.

shezza2

Postby shezza2 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:44 pm

smeghead28 wrote:Track laid onto a bare board does make more noise that track laid on something such as cork or foam underlay.
Are you asking if it would effect a sound chip or the mechanical/electrical noise from the loco, couldn't quite understand what you meant?
In a sound equipped DCC loco with a downward facing speaker and foam under the track some of the sound might be absorbed by the foam I suppose.

Just wondered if it would affect the sound's from the chip.

smeghead28

Postby smeghead28 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:50 pm

shezza2 wrote:
smeghead28 wrote:Track laid onto a bare board does make more noise that track laid on something such as cork or foam underlay.

Just wondered if it would affect the sound's from the chip.

Well like I said foam under the track might absorb some sound if there is a downward facing speaker in the base of the loco but other than that I cant for the life of me see how it would be affected.
The only reason underlay under the track deadens the sound is there is just an additional layer between the track and board that separates the two and reduces resonance,that wont magically have the same effect on a sound equipped loco though.

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:58 pm

It's worth bearing in mind that it's not just the underlay that causes the noise, baseboard construction does as well. If you make it like a box then it will amplify the noise of the train on the track. If you can get some sound deadening that actually works then you'll be able to hear the DCC sound better, that's about it...

If you ballast using chippings and PVA glue (i.e. solid) then I've yet to find any underlay that quietens things down substantially. Putting foam or similar under the trackbed may help, though as I don't use sound I have never bothered.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:04 pm

b308 got his reply in first, but we seam to be in tune.
Gluing track on top of foam will deaden mechanically generated noise (usually unwanted) with little effect on speaker output. Unfortunately, putting in pins to hold the track down and covering it with well glued ballast both couple the mechanical noise back to the baseboard negating the sound deadening properties of the foam. A thicker board surface or gluing patches of heavier board to the underside should dampen the amplifying effect of a thinner top surface, like the stuff they stick on the underside of car boots and bonnets, unfortunately that stuff has no effect on the vibrations in wood it only works on the flimsy metal used in many car panels.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Track/Layout Design”