19ftx17ft new layout ideas and feedback

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
dmclachlan1977

19ftx17ft new layout ideas and feedback

Postby dmclachlan1977 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:49 pm

Hi, having worked on a 16x9 layout for 9 years, a move of house has meant a new layout is required.
Lucky for me I have been able to convert a double garage into a proper man cave. New size layout is 19ft x17ft round room. Baseboards have been built all 3ft wide, running 00 gauge. Looking for ideas as to whether to have 4 main line tracks joined by gradient or all on one level. Main aim is running trains to keep my kids interested.

I initially thought of one main side being a shed shunting yard, another with main line station and perhaps hidden lines below the top track thus loosing need for fiddle yard. I have looked for inspiration online but struggle to find, anyone have any ideas on views on what would be best suited?

Also looking at steam era as large collection dating back 50 years,.

I will put photos together showing progress but at the moment need to get the track plan sorted!! :roll:
Last edited by dmclachlan1977 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmclachlan1977

Re: 19ftx17ft new layout ideas and feedback

Postby dmclachlan1977 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:49 pm

Ok so it seems that I can't add attachments from ipad, sitting by pool on holiday so that will have to wait.
The aim of this project is to create a traditional steam era set, dc, too many trains to convert to dcc. Any ideas or inspiration people could share?

TimberSurf

Re: 19ftx17ft new layout ideas and feedback

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:54 pm

We need to know if we need to deal with any doors!
Certainly a room drawing would help.
If it's to be a roundy round, then you could have a large 3/4 platform station on one side, If end to end, then a terminus.
Consider scenic on the corners and features on each straight side, examples being:- Station, TMD, second station, oil refinery, coal pit, grain loading, general goods, port, container depot, i.e. define the features (it's a big layout, so you can have a few!), then that will dictate the track plan.
Bear in mind a second level/ramp will bring far more interest and possibilities, but also involves far more work/skills and planning and will inevitable prolong the build.
By all means look at my site plans, and you tube for inspiration, then give us some ideas, there a few on here that will definitely help, we just need a bit more scope input from you and an idea of how ambitious you want to be!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Return to “Track/Layout Design”