Peco 00 track confusion

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
muggins

Peco 00 track confusion

Postby muggins » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:35 am

I've just spent a while on the Peco website in an attempt to get together the details I need in order to start sketching 00 layout ideas, but I'm stuck. Maybe it's just me, but I have to say it's definitely not the most user-friendly site I've ever been on!

I know I can download the templates, but before I get that far I need measurements, and what is currently beyond my understanding is minimum rad points. They do "No 2 turnout" which is 17.25" radius, and "Small turnout" which is 24", so "small " is bigger than "No 2"????

Is there a No 1 turnout, or is the 17.25" rad one the smallest in 00? And am I right that "1st radius" curves are 14.625" rad?

Flashbang

Re: Peco 00 track confusion

Postby Flashbang » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:11 am

Hi
I think you're confusing the two distinct types of track and points that Peco make?
They make Setrack (STxx prefix) which matches Hornby and Bachmann UK track items. This has natural parallel track centres of 67mm when two points form a cross-over.
They also produce Streamline points and flexible track (Prefixed SLxx). Streamline has a different track spacing of 50mm between two parallel tracks. Note: Streamline points in OO comes in two variations too! Insulated frog (Like all Setrack and all Hornby points) or Elecrofrog which need a little more installation work. Those with Electrofrogs are prefixed as SL-Exx., Then there are two rail heights in Streamline OO track. Code 100 (This is the same as Setrack and Hornby etc) or Code 75 which has a smaller rail height. Code xx is the height of the rail in thousandths of an inch. Code 75 is considered to be more fine scale rail then Code 100, but older rolling stock (say pre 1995ish) wont run well on code 75 track as the wheel flanges touch the rail fixing car tops!

For matching with Hornby OO track look for ST prefixed items. If you want to use larger radius points then use the Streamline range SL prefixed but if its to fit into Hornby or Peco Setrack geometry then you will need to add a short piece of track to increase the track spacing to 67mm where a cross over or other point work is used.
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:16 am

Flashbang nipped in whilst I was typing this, the website I refer to is his.

There are two separate ranges of Peco track in 00. Set track which is identical in geometry to Hornby track, is only available in code100 rail and points have plastic crossings(frogs). The curves and points conform to radius 1-2-3 etc. The other range is called Streamline flexible track which is available in code 100 and code75(finescale), rail heights. Streamline points are available in insulating (plastic crossing) and electrofrog (all metal crossing), They all have a common angle of diversion at the exit, and come in short medium or long length. If you try to calculate a radius the straight entry and exit sections increase the overall radius. Electrofrog points are identifiable by the "E" in their number.
If you want to run older coarse scale wheels (Triang and early Triangle Hornby) you need code100 to prevent the flanges bumping over the sleepers. Almost all wheels produced after the Hornby buyout, and wheels from other recent manufacturers, with the exception of Lima, are OK on code 75.
Set track and insulting points require no special wiring, but are troublesome for 0-4-0s and 0-6-0s without pickups on centre wheels, especially at low speeds, so the recommendation is to use electrofrog and find out how to wire them. There's a diagram packed with the points but it doesn't go into the why's and wherefores. For a good explanation have a look at this website.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

muggins

Postby muggins » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:20 am

Flashbang wrote:I think your confusing the two distinct types of track and points Peco make.

Thanks, Flashbang. Given the way they present information on their site, it's no wonder I'm confused! OK for you guys who know your stuff, but ...

Anyhow, I'm re-starting from square one after a 30 year break, so nothing has to be compatible with anything else: all that matters to me right now is working out what I can get into a given space using Peco track. And to do that, I need to know the minimum radius ready-made curve they do in 00, and the smallest radius of point, mainly so I can work out the approach to a fiddle yard.

ETA - thanks for that, Bufferstop! Wonder why Peco can't explain that on their site ...

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:25 am

The smallest pre curved track section Peco Setrack (and Hornby too) produce is Radius 1 (371mm). The largest they produce is radius 4 (572mm).
These geometry links may provide some further information... http://www.hornby.com/_assets/files/Track-Geometry-PDF.pdf and http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1999_1_106717291.html
Hornby and Peco points are to radius 2 turnout except the Hornby Express point (Peco do not make an express point in their Setrack range)

Note: Peco Setrack is a direct replacement for Hornby track. IMO Peco is the better track system and their points are normally better too.

When track planning do not expect any locos other than small 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 types to negotiate radius 1 curves. Some larger locos will struggle on radius 2 too!
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

muggins

Postby muggins » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:30 am

Thank you gentlemen. I am no longer confused about that. Polenty of other stuff for sure, but not now about minimum radii :D

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:32 am

muggins wrote: - thanks for that, Bufferstop! Wonder why Peco can't explain that on their site ...

This internet thing took a long time to percolate south of Exeter. It took ages for them to realise all you had to do was stick the points on the scanner to put the templates on line.

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:59 am

Funny enough I was using our very own NRM track conversion table again only yesterday for Peco track numbers. :)
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/tr ... ersion.htm
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:59 pm

Just to confuse matters further, if you look at their product listings on their website rather than the templates, the Setrack, Steamline and Code 83 ranges are all jumbled in together. Their Code 83 track is their US market product and is the one with the #1, #2....#6 etc turnouts in it.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

muggins

Postby muggins » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:06 pm

stuartp wrote:... if you look at their product listings on their website ...

... you start losing the will to live ... :roll:

Sails

Postby Sails » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:26 am

Is there any way you can mix Hornby and Peco streamlined tracks?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:21 pm

No poblem both Hornby and Peco settrack use code 100 rail, Peco Streamline code 100 track and points connect OK. I used to use sections of settrack curves at the centre of a curve in Streamline to ensure I didn't go tighter than intended. Used that way locos that didn't like going from straight to second radius were quite happy if lead into the curve by an easier radius. Once it's ballasted it's difficult to spot the settrack.

Sails

Postby Sails » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:54 pm

Bufferstop wrote:No poblem both Hornby and Peco settrack use code 100 rail, Peco Streamline code 100 track and points connect OK. I used to use sections of settrack curves at the centre of a curve in Streamline to ensure I didn't go tighter than intended. Used that way locos that didn't like going from straight to second radius were quite happy if lead into the curve by an easier radius. Once it's ballasted it's difficult to spot the settrack.

Thats good to hea, I have a load of Hornby track but moving house next year so once sorted I'd like to get my layour down using Peco, esceipially electrofog points

Return to “Track/Layout Design”