Hornby Dublo 3 Rail plans

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Wolseley

Hornby Dublo 3 Rail plans

Postby Wolseley » Mon May 23, 2016 4:26 pm

When I purchased my "Bristolian" set, it came with a few extras, one of which was a Hornby Dublo Rail Layouts booklet (price 6d!). The booklet makes interesting reading, however to my mind, the layout plans all seem to have either shortcomings or defects, and I would welcome comments on them.

Let me add though, that I am not particularly interested in constructing a complex layout but rather just have something to run what locomotives and rolling stock I may have on. I can't see that I would want to run more than one train at a time - or, at most, have two operating at one time.

The first plan is for a simple oval. Pretty much what I have at the moment, with the addition of a couple of straights and very basic. What more is there to say.
1.jpg
1.jpg (611.03 KiB) Viewed 5609 times

The second plan adds a siding - rather reminiscent of what I had when I was 12 years old - all of 50 years ago......
2.jpg
2.jpg (482.54 KiB) Viewed 5608 times

The third one is not too bad, but rather simple:
3.jpg
3.jpg (269.41 KiB) Viewed 5608 times

The fourth one seems pretty good at first sight, as it offers the opportunity of reversing direction, but if your train leaves the siding on the start of its journey, all it can do is just keep going around.
4.jpg
4.jpg (496.23 KiB) Viewed 5608 times

The fifth one, on the face of it, looks good, but you can't go from one station to the other without reversing:
13.jpg
13.jpg (351.15 KiB) Viewed 5608 times

Wolseley

Re: Hornby Dublo 3 Rail plans

Postby Wolseley » Mon May 23, 2016 4:52 pm

The sixth one has the same problem:
15.jpg
15.jpg (247.13 KiB) Viewed 5606 times

As does the seventh one:
16.jpg
16.jpg (293.67 KiB) Viewed 5606 times

And the eight one, although at least it offers quite a few opportunities for shunting:
17.jpg
17.jpg (331.15 KiB) Viewed 5606 times

The ninth one is better but it seems to be designed for just watching the trains go around (not that there's really anything wrong with that):
18.jpg
18.jpg (388.47 KiB) Viewed 5606 times

The tenth one is just a variation on the ninth:
19.jpg
19.jpg (431.83 KiB) Viewed 5606 times

Wolseley

Postby Wolseley » Mon May 23, 2016 5:05 pm

the eleventh is an end to end layout, which I'm not sure is what I want:
20.jpg
20.jpg (364.7 KiB) Viewed 5605 times

The twelfth one just looks a bit messy and a waste of space:
21.jpg
21.jpg (364.37 KiB) Viewed 5605 times

The thirteenth one is also just for watching trains go around, albeit with the addition of a turntable with, somewhat unrealistically, a through line going across it:
22.jpg
22.jpg (327.22 KiB) Viewed 5605 times

The fourteenth one also has the problem of having to reverse the train into the terminal, depending on the direction of travel. This is perhaps the most interesting layout but the operational possibilities are, to put it mildly, somewhat limited:
23.jpg
23.jpg (317.1 KiB) Viewed 5605 times

I'm not so sure if the fifteenth one is any improvement on what went before:
24.jpg
24.jpg (688.77 KiB) Viewed 5605 times

Wolseley

Postby Wolseley » Mon May 23, 2016 5:08 pm

And the last one looks like a good way to show off your collection, but seems to have the same problem of having to reverse your train into the terminus at the end of its journey.....
26.jpg
26.jpg (592.52 KiB) Viewed 5604 times

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon May 23, 2016 6:36 pm

Hello Wolseley, and a warm welcome.

For thinking about track design, here are some key questions:

How much space have you got, for a temporary or permanent layout?
Or how about one that can go off to exhibitions?

What is the longest train you'd want to run? that will determine passing loop and siding lengths.

The ability to do return loops was one of the definite features of 3-rail, but it's of limited use unless there can be room for two return loops, or an arrangement of tracks that can be worked as a proper terminus (and big express locos would like to have a turntable, or their own return loop, to get them the right way round.)

These two Anyrail sketches are for 3.possibly 4 coaches plus an express loco, with a return loop,
and terminus platforms worked by a pilot engine rather than a loco run-round.

One longer and thinner, the other shorter and fatter.

Chris

edit: on both the pilot engine position/headshunt should be longer to give room to draw carriages out. On the second plan that will need 2"-3 " more layout length.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon May 23, 2016 7:24 pm

Manufacturer's track plans were never very hot on realistic operation. Tri-ang had a similar set, minus the reverse loops and HD 2 rail (when they eventually accepted the inevitable) were just as bad. Not to mention the dog's breakfast they made of point switching. Most of them were devised as a way to incorporate various accessories, all those sidings with a level crossing at their centre :roll: They would all now be totally impractical as finer standards and more accurate locos make first radius curves a no go zone for rigid wheelbase locos and scale length stock.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Wolseley

Postby Wolseley » Tue May 24, 2016 9:10 am

I'm not really thinking of setting up anything permanent at the moment, it was more a case of me looking through a track plan booklet that came in the box with the set and realising that there were so many operational problems with the plans - and also I thought that, given that they are around 60 years old, a significant number of forum members may have never seen them, and it might be worthwhile posting the plans as a curiosity and reminder of times past, not because I thought that they were necessarily worth building.

They are certainly not realistic, but neither is Dublo three rail track so, to my way of thinking, if you have a collection of Dublo three rail equipment (not that I have a great deal of it - just two locomotives, six carriages and four goods wagons at the moment) a layout in the spirit of those from the 1950s would be an ideal way of displaying it. That said, at present I have just been watching the trains run in circles (well, oval actually) around the dining room table on the odd occasion and I have no immediate plans for anything grander, although I do intend to get some points and some more track (and who knows, maybe a level crossing to put in the middle where no road vehicles can access it!).

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue May 24, 2016 9:21 am

No worries.
By your critique.I thought you might be trying to plan something better. It's certainly quite possible.

I have all the editions of C J Freezer's "60 plans for small railways" (1st edition 1958) and associated track plan books, and it is entertaining and informative to see how ideas changed over time, and which plans were long-term survivors and which got culled after one appearance.

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Wolseley

Postby Wolseley » Tue May 24, 2016 1:13 pm

Emettman wrote:By your critique.I thought you might be trying to plan something better. It's certainly quite possible.

Ultimately, probably yes. But for now, probably not. And, yes, I recall C J Freezer's track plans from the pages of the Railway Modeller, and they were rather good ones.

Wolseley

Postby Wolseley » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:36 am

For the time being all I am doing is assembling some track on the dining room table for when our grandson comes over. He's only 16 months old, so something fairly simple will interest him for some time yet. I settled on plan number 4 for now, partly because it fits nicely on the table and partly because it's the sort of plan that I currently have more than enough track for at the moment. If you are prepared to do some non-prototypical reversing from time to time, it offers a few more operational opportunities than I thought at first. Small beginnings I know but, given a bit more time, hopefully something bigger, better and more permanent will arise. I have started accumulating locomotives and a bit of rolling stock for when that eventuates.

Dublo 1.jpg
Dublo 1.jpg (104.48 KiB) Viewed 5324 times

Dublo 2.jpg
Dublo 2.jpg (75.94 KiB) Viewed 5324 times

Return to “Track/Layout Design”