Seep point motor alignment tool

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
smoothdude3

Seep point motor alignment tool

Postby smoothdude3 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:22 am

As some of you may be aware, the fitting of a Seep point motor can sometimes be a little tricky especially with regards to alignment. For those of you who have not seen this video which I made on YouTube, here it is now.

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5T8q16EUcs
. I hope you find it useful.
Admin Edit
hope you don't mind my addition, but getting your link into the address field on some devices can be difficult. Most cope well if it is presented as a URL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5T8q16EUcs

smoothdude3

Re: Seep point motor alignment tool

Postby smoothdude3 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:57 am

Sorry, I am not the best with computers, but I will try and make this link easier to find.

Try this and see if this is any better..........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5T8q16EUcs

No, I don't think that works either. I've tried to find out how to do this on your website, but cannot find relevant information. Can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks.
John

smoothdude3

Postby smoothdude3 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:01 am

Yes it is working! It didn't work when I tried it on preview mode. Oh me, the vagaries of high technology!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:15 am

Highlight the address that you can see when the page/picture/video you want to link to is displayed use Ctrl/C to copy the address. It must be the address of what you want your reader to see not your own account address.
In your post press the url button to get a start and end tag and with the cursor between them then press Ctrl/v.

If you want to hide a long address edit the line to look like this

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=26687] link to my layout [/url]

it will look like this link to my layout in preview.
If you want to see how I did that bit click quote, but don't click submit
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

smoothdude3

Postby smoothdude3 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:28 am

Okay, thanks for that. I think I have got it. Fingers crossed!
John

End2end

Re: Seep point motor alignment tool LOAN OR BUY

Postby End2end » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:20 pm

I really want to get my seep pm1 motors installed accuratly and correctly but have neither the confidence or skill to do so, so I am looking to either lend or buy one of these tools to fit them all with but unfortunatly these are out of production.
Please does any member have one they are willing either part with or lend to a struggling fellow modeller?
My tool / woodworking skills are rubbish to say the least so without one i'm afraid I will end up with hand operated points. NOT ideal as half the track is hidden.
I do not have a workshop or workshop tools to make one nor the skills to use workshop tools either. :?

Fitting them is holding up the progress of the layout at the moment as after around 20 minutes of running (as it is an end to end style layout), getting up every run to hand change the points on my 8 foot long layout is monotonous, least to say, boring and usually results in me walking away from it.

If only a lend of the tool is available of course I will pay all postage on both trips.
Can you save my sanity? :cry:
Thanks
End2end

EDIT: I did watch the orignal video @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5T8q16EUcs
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:51 pm

Quick bump :)
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:28 pm

Another bump
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

lenht1951

Postby lenht1951 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:51 pm

Hi end2end, although not the tool you requested I have a way of installing the seep point motors very easily.
If you are interested pm me with your email address and I will forward as an attachment, I have tried to attach it to this reply but without success. :roll:

Forfarian

Postby Forfarian » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:45 am

I made my own from some 0.5 mm alluminium sheet, the centre of an old sol point motor and a bent bit of wire.
I don't screw mine on from below the board but fix wit 6BA countersunk brass bolts and nuts through the baseboard. It takes about 5 minutes to fit each one
Tim
aka Forfarian

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:34 am

I have always used the converted clothes peg for Seep alignment.

Before fixing the Seep and with the point temporarily in its final position I drill 2 x 1mm dia holes at the exact middle outer edge of the points moving tie bar (Stretcher bar) each hole marks the position of the points tie bar centre line underneath. A third hole is drilled with the point blades held central through the tie bars drive pin hole. Remove point draw a line linking the two outer holes which should also pass through the drive pin marked hole hole, then from the top using the central drive pin marked hole and pencil line drill two 4mm dia holes side by side each side of the central hole. Elongate the two 4mm holes into a slot and ensure any wood burs are smoothed away both on top and underneath the baseboard. Refit point into its final position ensuring its positioned exactly where the 2 x 1mm holes were drilled on the outer tie bar edges. Secure the point blades mid position. I use on Peco OO points a U shaped piece of 16/0.2mm equipment wire between the open blades as this is a reasonable tight fit and doesn't over strain the blades. It can be held in place with a strip of masking tape if wished.

On the underside of the baseboard locate the two x 1mm holes and using a straight edge and pencil draw a line connecting the two 1mm holes and extend that line out beyond each hole by about 20mm on each side. The line should also pass through the slots middle too. Fit wooden clothes peg to Seep which holds the Seep motors drive pin central. Place Seep into position and engage the drive pin into the points tie bar hole above. Aline the Seeps circuit board middle with the pencil line.
Mark the two fixing places and drill fine pilot holes where marked and then screw the Seep in place ensuring the point blades are still held central and Seep circuit board is still central on the pencil line.
Remove peg and wire holding blades central.
By hand move the underside of the drive pin left and right and the point above should follow. Cut off surplus drive pin and job is done. BTW I use an 8" inch pair of cheap wire cutters to cut drive pins and I never use an electric mini drill with slitting disc, as the heat generated can cause the plastic of the tie bar to melt!

The above reads as though its a lot of work, but in fact its relatively simple and virtually fool proof!

How to make a Seep holding peg is here... http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=53&showentry=998
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:44 am

Ahh! Just to make it clearer.
My points are already laid and have a 10mm hole drilled under them through the basebaord ready to take the motor. It's the alignment of fitting that is causing me problems.

My layout can flip up on its side rather than working from underneth and this, I envisioned was how I would fit them.??
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:39 pm

End2end wrote:Ahh! Just to make it clearer.
My points are already laid and have a 10mm hole drilled under them through the basebaord ready to take the motor. It's the alignment of fitting that is causing me problems.

My layout can flip up on its side rather than working from underneth and this, I envisioned was how I would fit them.??
Thanks
End2end

Simply follow above, just ignore the drill 4mm holes as you already have them. Still drill two 1mm holes each side of tie bar and then work underneath as described. It works well as fitted about 50-60 plus Seep PM1s both on my own and club layouts.

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:25 pm

My baseboard is 11mm thick so the length of the screws I need to attach the point motors with must not exceed this thickness.
But can I ask what size and type of screws should I use?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:28 pm

End2end wrote:My baseboard is 11mm thick so the length of the screws I need to attach the point motors with must not exceed this thickness.
But can I ask what size and type of screws should I use?
Thanks
End2end

I would use 12mm x 3mm perhaps?

Return to “Track/Layout Design”