N Scale Code 55 Flexitrack

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
LittleReggie

N Scale Code 55 Flexitrack

Postby LittleReggie » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi folks,

I've almost made up my mind now to go with Peco Code 55 track if I ever get round to building a layout. But is it true that code 55 flexitrack can (or should) only be curved one way? So this means that to create a gentle kink or flowing S bend in the track requires two sections of flexitrack? This seems a little counterintuitive to me. Is it true of all track scales/codes?

Regards.

SouthernBoy

Re: N Scale Code 55 Flexitrack

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:20 pm

Apparently yes.

When I laid the track on my layout I found some of it didn't seem to want to bend quite how I would expect it to, and I had to force it to stay flat. It was only afterwards that someone posted the fact that it's supposed to bend one-way only (I later discovered there are really miniscule, almost imperceptible arrows underneath indicating the direction of curve - although very annoyingly the packaging / catalogues / product website / retailer websites never mention this :shock: )

I don't have 'S' curves on my layout - but would guess that yes, you are probably best to use separate sections of track for this.

I can't speak for other scales or codes.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:42 pm

SouthernBoy wrote:
I can't speak for other scales or codes.

I can certainly speak for 00 gauge where it is possible (on both Codes 75 & 100) to bend the track either way, and removing the webbing between selected sleepers always helps in tight spots.

I know nothing of N gauge but I would have automatically thought that you could cut the webbing as in OO (?)

Do you already have some track and can you afford to sacrifice a small section of track in the cause of "science" and try cutting the webbing LittleReggie?

LittleReggie

Postby LittleReggie » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:29 am

I spent quite a lot of time googling the pros and cons of the different code N scale track and nearly everyone advocates the use of code 55 (notwithstanding the extra cost). I only found the one mention of this particular issue that apparently only affects code 55 flexitrack, not code 80. It may not even be that big a problem for me, but it just seems strange! Unfortunately, I don't have any track to experiment with, I haven't bought any yet. :D

Reg.

Jimmy77

Postby Jimmy77 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:55 am

At work so I don't have the track in front of me... but from memory the sleeper webbing is different on each side. As SouthernBoy says, there are tiny arrows pointing in the direction of curve. On that side there are more cuts/spaces in the sleeper webbing so they can compress better when being bent. The track will bend both ways, but the sleeper spacing goes a bit wonky when you go the wrong way.

Cheers,

Jimmy
My N gauge layout in the workshop
Layout

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:55 pm

Jimmy77 wrote: but the sleeper spacing goes a bit wonky when you go the wrong way.

Cheers,

Jimmy

Adds to the realism perhaps?

Return to “Track/Layout Design”