Woodland Scenics inclines

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
klaatu

Woodland Scenics inclines

Postby klaatu » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:50 pm

I have a couple of 1:50 inclines on the layout I'm building, and I wanted to make sure I got a good even slope, so I used Woodland Scenics 2% incline sets. I'd used these before on a previous layout with good results.

In the same place on each incline (between the third and fourth section, going up), there was a noticeable drop in height between the sections (I was definitely using the pieces in the right order). I know I should have just returned them, but I decided that as I was putting foam underlay on top, that the imperfection would be smoothed out. And of course, now I have the track down for testing, it's total pants and the train slips on the uneven incline, which is exactly what I was trying to avoid in the first place.

I'm unsure what to do now. Rip them up and buy new ones, hoping to get good ones this time? Try to fix them using plaster cloth or something? Has anyone else experienced the same thing with these inclines?

Steve
Just playing trains - not a "proper modeller"

thebritfarmer

Re: Woodland Scenics inclines

Postby thebritfarmer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:49 pm

Have you tried contacting Woodland Scenics to see f they can offer a solution?
All Aboooooard !!

klaatu

Postby klaatu » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:11 pm

Well, no, because they only seem to have contact details for 'sales', 'marketing', and 'webmaster'. I guess I could try 'sales'...

Steve
Just playing trains - not a "proper modeller"

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:17 pm

Hi klaatu,

I'm interested in your experience with this product - as I'm considering using it too - see http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43993

I'm only planning on using the first 2 section of a 3% incline so hopefully won't experience your issue with the product . . . ?

How did you lay your track on top of the foam?

Thanks
PnP

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:04 pm

If it was me, I would lay some plywood strips or other suitable baseboard material over the top of whatever I was using for incline supports. The plywood spreads the load and should even out any irregular height increases. Relying on the supports to take the track and weight of a loco and train isn't a very good idea IMHO.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:37 pm

I've handled some of the foam and it's rigid enough to support flexi or settrack with nothing between but might prove difficult to ballast. The thin ply used by aircraft modellers may be what you need.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:19 pm

Bufferstop wrote:...with nothing between but might prove difficult to ballast. The thin ply used by aircraft modellers may be what you need.

Thanks Bufferstop. Or thin plastic sheet? Which do you think would work best? I see you can get ply as thin as 0.4mm which would certainly keep the 'step' at the start of the ply to a minimum. Sounds quite strong too, but not cheap (mind you I don't need much)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:09 pm

I think there has only been one posting on here about it, and that was using it for road base rather than track. There are two fairly common ways of making the transition from level base to incline. The track base for the incline can be sanded away on the underside until it's as thin as possible then a filler (plaster, plastic wood) is used to smooth the step. The alternative is to cut the baseboard top on either side of the track at the side of the incline and across at the start of the incline's trackbed, to form a tongue and a wedge is pushed between the tongue and cross batten, so that the tongue bends up to meet the incline.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Track/Layout Design”