Smoothing out the joins in flexitrack?

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
DonnyRailMan

Re: Smoothing out the joins in flexitrack?

Postby DonnyRailMan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:49 pm

Richey1977 wrote:Right, so I've been laying flexitrack (Peco code 55) all day. I didn't get as far as I wanted to, but it's trickier than it looks.

Try as I might, I'm ending up with a very slightly uneven join between track sections. It's not enough to derail a train, I don't think. That is, I don't have a power supply to test it, but I shoved a BR Mk2 carriage up the line with reasonable force, and it didn't fall off. The track height is maintained across the join (and I'll go over it with a file at the end anyway) , but I'm finding that as I bed the track round to make curves, the starting point of the curve wants to wander off. I've done it slowly, and carefully, and minimised the gap, but it's never quite perfect, although I'm satisfied that it's OK.

I'm a bit concerned that the track joins will lead to problems later on though. Is there a technique for filling a small gap, or smoothing out the join?

Cheers.

Have a look at www.intercity82.com he as video tips about things like that in his collection .

royhancock

Re: Smoothing out the joins in flexitrack?

Postby royhancock » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:36 am

Hi, hope this not too late to be of use.

A tip I picked up from somewhere a while ago to achive nice smooth joins on fexitrack curves was to first join the straight to the laid curved track with fishplates (joiners) and solder them together before you attempt to curve the track.

I have found that this way it is easy to get nice joins on curves.

But I am looking for a solution to another track laying problem which I have posted separately.

Return to “Track/Layout Design”