Beginner

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
jonny51977

Beginner

Postby jonny51977 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:01 am

Hi Everybody,

I am starting out in this great hobby and am looking some help/advice /tips about how to go about my idea layout. The size of my base board is in the shape of an L, with the long side being 16ft x 4ft and the return being 8ft x 4ft. I am starting with the return and hoping t have a harbour, warehouse area and a large hub for my trains including sheds water towers coal dump and turn tables etc etc. Any help will be very much needed. I know this is a large plan but i'm not getting any younger.

klaatu

Re: Beginner

Postby klaatu » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:28 am

Is it in the middle of a room, with access from all sides, or against a wall/in a corner? If you don't have access to all sides, have you thought about how you will reach the back, particularly the corner, which will be over 5 ft away?

Steve
Just playing trains - not a "proper modeller"

jonny51977

Postby jonny51977 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:41 am

Hi,

It will be in the roof space of my garage with room all around it.

jcm@gwr

Postby jcm@gwr » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:17 pm

Hi Johnny,
Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like a good sized layout you are planning there.
Good luck and keep us posted [photos are always nice!]
Cheers, Jeff

craw607

Postby craw607 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:19 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.
I have am in building a U shape layout which is against wall I agree it is a stretch
to reach corners but I think one of those long hand grabs might do the trick or
wonder how much to have an arm like inspector gadget fitted.
John

robhar

Postby robhar » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:16 pm

Welcome to the forum! I don't mean to pour cold water on your enthusiasm, but my advice would be to start with something a bit less ambitious. It sounds as though the space you have available would be the envy of many much more experienced modellers, but to fill all that at your first attempt at a layout is likely to be quite challenging. Many beginners in this hobby start off with ambitious plans and yes, some manage to complete them, but I also see a number of starter layouts on this forum that I suspect are never completed and end in disappointment and perhaps people leaving the hobby after one attempt :( . I speak from experience because all my early layout attempts have failed because they were simply unrealistic and too ambitious. Given the space you have available my advice would be to divide it up into sections and just start with one section to a) develop your modelling skills, b) build your confidence, c) give you something that you are more likely to complete and therefore get more pleasure from, and d) keep your budget reasonable. You could always design it so that your 'starter' section can be linked to the next section when it is complete, so that you build the size and complexity of layout that you have in mind bit-by-bit rather than all at the same time.

But of course the main thing is that, whatever you do, enjoy it! :wink:

Return to “Track/Layout Design”