first try @ my own layout

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
jeffmasson

first try @ my own layout

Postby jeffmasson » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:31 pm

hello all

i am bulding a new layout this is my first try at desining my own (last time used horby track plan)

any ideas or probems you can spot

space is 4m by 1.2m will be based on last days of br 80's 90's

thanks

Tiddles

Re: first try @ my own layout

Postby Tiddles » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:41 pm

Looks good :)

I always try to use the largest radius curve I can. Ideally a minimum of 4th radius but then I am running big American steam locos. Looking at you plan it looks like you could go bigger, try 3rd radius 8)
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, “Linking 13 Great States With The Nation.”

jeffmasson

Postby jeffmasson » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Tiddles wrote:Looks good :)

I always try to use the largest radius curve I can. Ideally a minimum of 4th radius but then I am running big American steam locos. Looking at you plan it looks like you could go bigger, try 3rd radius 8)

i allready had 1st and 2nd radius from my first layout. i dont mind bining the 1st radius stuff but dont want to have to buy all new as money is abit tight so thats why i went with 2nd and 3rd.

i also wanted to leave space for a third track in the future if i get extra money for locos :lol:

jus

Postby jus » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:06 pm

Some modern locos struggle with 2nd radius curves, hence tiddles comment. Anything larger than a 4-4-0 tender steam loco might not make it. Some might make it with modification.
Anything we learn today, may be unlearned tomorrow

Please feel free to visit my layout pages SYVR

jeffmasson

Postby jeffmasson » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:47 am

I have change the point to peco electrofrog but I don't know weather to keep the setrack spacing or go to streamline spacing on the station side the far side will be hidden. https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XQ2TNeZyWAo/Tz61iivek9I/AAAAAAAAAII/EF0wdX1DT3Y/s838/loft+peco.jpg

mjrennie

Postby mjrennie » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:12 am

You could move it all down a bit and then get a single or double straight to break up the curves. Minor thought, but maybe worth it. Otherwise, looks good. I like your station ideas.

Ark Royal

Postby Ark Royal » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:21 am

if you are trying to be prototypical, the crossover on the right (the one with a red dot on) is facing (a train driving on the left can go over it without reversing)
Facing points were avoided where on the prototype, because they were more complex and expensive, but you can still use it if you want.
the best solution would be to flip it round so it is trailing, but you would have to slightly re-work the approach to the platforms

on the other hand, you could do what many of us do and just turn a blind eye!!!

Chris
If you have found the above helpful, please read my layout thread and offer a comment
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36868
Chris
Aka Ark Royal Aka HMS Ark Royal V (on other forums)

Return to “Track/Layout Design”