6 by 4 n gauge track plan, comments?

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
z7o

6 by 4 n gauge track plan, comments?

Postby z7o » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:56 pm

hoping you could all have a look at my tack plan and tell me your opinions and how to make it better, darker green is higher level lighter is lower, and the reddish brown is terraced housing that will form the back scene. the 4th line on the lower level (the dotted one) will be a closed line so the slow line will run bi-directional.
Last edited by z7o on Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

baldrickbr

Re: my track plan

Postby baldrickbr » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:06 pm

It would help to know the scale of the trains, and of the plan

Cheers Baldrick

z7o

Re: my track plan

Postby z7o » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:12 pm

baldrickbr

Re: 6 by 4 n gauge track plan, comments?

Postby baldrickbr » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:35 pm

Looks like it could be very nice, if a bit limited from an operational side.

Is there enough room for the gradient? I'm trying to convert to OO and it looks tight.

It would be nice to see what you are planning for the hidden lower level.

Baldrick

z7o

Postby z7o » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:41 pm

not sure about the gradient, might have to fiddle that one around abit, any info you could give on the best way to work would be very appreciated :)
as for the hidden storage loops, they will be kept quite simple, nothing extravagent.

baldrickbr

Postby baldrickbr » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:47 pm

I'm not the best person for this, modelling in "OO". But I understand that the "hand in the sky" is the same size in "N" and don't really understand how much depth you will require.

Doing in in OO on a 12' by 8' layout, I would change the outside point to a double slip and start the incline going down the left hand side, bearing in mind that curves and gradients don't mix too well.

As it is a through station, I would put in a passing/overtaking loop, and personally make there a hidden reversing loop for the branch line.

Baldrick

z7o

Postby z7o » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:15 pm

changed the plan abit, thanks for the ideas of the reversing loop and passing loop, i would have included them but anyrail wont let me. bit more complex now, with a line running for the mainline storage loops, under the branch line fiddle yard, to join the brach line (hope that makes sense) ive also added another station were the line comes out from under the fiddle yard, the type which is half underground with only the end of the platform visable and the station building above.

thanks baldrick for all the help, sorry i could put your ideas in the plan but i did listen to them and would deffinatly include them.

z7o

Postby z7o » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:16 pm

would also include more siding around the branch station... again maximum of 50 pieces in anyrail

AlanBrady

Postby AlanBrady » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:40 am

Try Scarm. This is the link to the thread on this forum, if you wish to have a read through what others think about it. I think it's fantastic. You can work out levels and view your design in 3D. I'll have a better look at your plan tomorrow.

Alan.

Return to “Track/Layout Design”