Adding A Tunnel to a TrakMat Layout

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Disco21

Adding A Tunnel to a TrakMat Layout

Postby Disco21 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:41 am

Hi all

We bought the mixed freight DCC set which came with the TrakMat R8217.

The little one really wants a tunnel and I am just wondering where this could go? .... I was looking at the bottom left, or bottom right of the trackmat on the curve, unless anyone else has any better ideas?

Would I just buy a ready made tunnel, or are these easy to made/model?

TK421

Re: Adding A Tunnel to a TrakMat Layout

Postby TK421 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:05 pm

Hello there

Looking at the track mat I reckon the best place to put the tunnel would be the bottom right hand corner if you where to at the matt from the level crossing side. There are ready made tunnels put this tend to be single track and rather ugly and unrealistic. Making your own tunnel wouldn't be very hard and you'd get a more satisfying result. There are different methods to tunnel making but i'd suggest creating the basic shape with polystyrene and then covering with something like mod-rock or for something cheaper cover with a massive batch of polyfiller to form the shape.

As the tunnel is on the corner use your longest piece of rolling stock to check for clearance in the same method you would do when laying flexi track or building your own station. If that method is not for you I'm sure others would more than willing to suggest alternative methods.
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

AlanBrady

Postby AlanBrady » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:41 pm

You should have a look -here- for some ideas (or one anyway) on tunnel building.

Assuming that -this- is the trackmat you have, then I'd think anywhere on the left (top or bottom or both) would work. TK, sorry if that's what you said. Obviously it depends on which way round you look at it.

Alan.

TK421

Postby TK421 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:38 am

your right alan i've got my left and rights muddled up woops I meant left as well, d'oh
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

Disco21

Postby Disco21 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:21 pm

AlanBrady wrote:You should have a look -here- for some ideas (or one anyway) on tunnel building.

Assuming that -this- is the trackmat you have, then I'd think anywhere on the left (top or bottom or both) would work. TK, sorry if that's what you said. Obviously it depends on which way round you look at it.

Alan.

Yip Alan, thats the one.

So a left hang tunnel would work best in your opinion? I'll get to looking at plans/diagrams etc and hopefully have this in place for Christmas Day. If you can give anymore pointers, what would be great? Would you build yourself (and if so want type of wood, would you use!), or would you by pre-design tunnels?

Return to “Track/Layout Design”