The 00 6'x4' trackplans thread

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
NEvans

Re: The 00 6'x4' trackplans thread

Postby NEvans » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:07 pm

I may be missing the obvious, but does it have a continous loop?

I would find one for times when you want to sit back and watch the trains go by as a good investment.
First foray into N Gauge: SimpleTown 4'x2'

GarrettTheThief

Postby GarrettTheThief » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:35 pm

Yeah, the upper two thirds consists of a small oval circuit.
"Thanks for taking that personality test for me."
"I'm not sure you'll find it useful. I answered everything with a joke."
"Oh, it told me a lot. For instance, you're not funny."

NEvans

Postby NEvans » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:23 pm

GarrettTheThief wrote:Yeah, the upper two thirds consists of a small oval circuit.
http://imageshack.us/a/img269/7700/sp12modified.jpg

This is a modification of plan SP12 from Cyril J Freezer's "60 Plans for Small Spaces". "Small Spaces". Heh. Anyway, this was 8'x4' and shortened to 6'x4' (or just a bit over).

Are we looking at the same trackplan, if its this one then I can't see one for looking. Either tell me I'm blind or stupid and looking at the wrong one.

GarrettTheThief

Postby GarrettTheThief » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:02 pm

Silly me, I thought you were talking about the one I linked in the post-before-last, rather than the first one I linked. Thanks for clarifying.

No, you're not being stupid. It's understandably difficult to tell, but no, I'm afraid there aren't any continuous runs on this. It would be difficult to fit a return loop to the track beneath the upper station too.

GarrettTheThief

Postby GarrettTheThief » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:24 pm

Now for an additional plan. This is based on plan SP19 from CJ Freezer's "60 Plans For Small Locations". In fact, it's almost exactly like that plan. I've uploaded it here: http://imageshack.us/a/img820/4639/capturerfp.jpg

The leftmost polygon is a sector plate/fiddle yard and the uppermost track red. it's difficult to make out the underground track since tunnelled lines are only a shade of grey,

Pros:
End-to-end and single-line continuous run
Plenty of operational potential
No 1st radius curves

Cons:
Reliance on curved points to allow for longer straight sections, and use of a three-way point/double slip. These are prone to derailments. May be a non-issue.

Another - http://imageshack.us/a/img208/5003/capturesau.jpg
This is based on plan number 30 in Peco's Setrack Plans Book. Was originally a bigger EtE which I made continuous. I also created this shorter 6x4 version based on that initial modification.

Pros:
Largely as with the above layout

Cons:
Largely as with the above layout

Finally for this post - http://imageshack.us/a/img837/8205/captureup.jpg
This is based on plan number 24 in Peco's Setrack Plans Book. This plan was originally just a branch terminus module based on Watlington in 1948. I turned it into an EtE layout with as fiddle yard.

Pros:
Plenty of operational value, with the capacity to run a variety of trains
Based on a real station
EtE nature allows for more realistic running
Plenty of space for scenary

Cons:
Some might consider the lack of a continuous run a bad thing
The space could be used for additional track

NOTE: I do NOT take any credit for these, only CJF and the author of the Peco Setrack Plans Book. They are not direct copies, only close reproductions that make use of larger radius curves and various space saving measures.

kebang

Postby kebang » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:28 am

A few months ago on another forum a newcomer asked for a 6 x 4 layout with a continious run. The layout had to be able to accomodate 4 coach DMU's, Voyagers etc. I came up with this. It needs an extra inch all the way round, but the min rad is 2nd. deg curves. (Redrawn with Ist deg. curves it could fit comfortably).
jam6a.png
jam6a.png (164.81 KiB) Viewed 2764 times

Its advantages is its a flat layout, making it simple to build. It comprises entirely of sectional set track with the exception of one piece of straight 2" track. It provides 3 continious ovals, allowing 3 trains to circle at once.

Its disadvantages is that it is VERY overcrowded with little room for scenic development & IMO will not look very realistic

AngusDe

Postby AngusDe » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:47 pm

All,

I've just joined the forum to join in the debate on this thread, with a plan I've previously posted on another forum, lol!

This plan is not strictly a 6'x4' plan, but a 6x4 sheet cut into 4 bits to give you a 7'x4'6" board with a operating well. In reality this might not take up any more room than a 6x4 and might be easier to handle than a solid 6x4 if you make it as a solid board. The pieces would be 2 x 6'x1'6", and the remaining 6'x1' cut into 2 x 3'x1' pieces.

7x4ft6inMIset.jpg
7x4ft6inMIset.jpg (145.59 KiB) Viewed 2582 times

It is drawn using Peco setrack, with min rad2 curves but the open mainline is r3 and r4. I think it offers relatively realistic mainline operation, virtually no reverse curves through pointwork (the only one is the 2nd siding in the yard) and given a urban scenic treatment the chance of something that would pass muster with grander layouts, or at least I think so.

Hope it helps,

Angus

whistlehead

Postby whistlehead » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:25 pm

@angusDe - that's certainly an ingenious approach! I like how much it fits into a small storage space. And the basic design is flexible, too - you could forego the large station to create a rural location, or you could design the two straight sections to fit together into the scenic component of an end-to-end as well as being two sides of a roundy roundy. I like it.

NEvans

Postby NEvans » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:54 pm

That is a nice looking layout for the size Angus, with lots of operating potential.

GarrettTheThief

Postby GarrettTheThief » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:35 am

What Evans said. I like the creative manner in which you approached the issue.

Zoso

Postby Zoso » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:02 pm

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, I have a fair bit of oo kit that has been in the attic for years and years, I'm looking to do a 6x4 layout and google bought me to this thread.

Obviously its an old thread, but there seem to be some 6x4 plans that were well thought of, however, I am not able to access the images I'm assuming due to photobucket..
Is there anyone who has the images available? I was particularly keen to see whistlehead's split level plan!

Thanks very much, this looks like a great forum!

Simon

roganty

Postby roganty » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:24 pm

Zoso wrote:Obviously its an old thread, but there seem to be some 6x4 plans that were well thought of, however, I am not able to access the images I'm assuming due to photobucket..
Is there anyone who has the images available? I was particularly keen to see whistlehead's split level plan!

Hi and welcome to the forums.

This is an old thread, and many of the earlier photo's were hosted by imageshack, the track plan you were after included.

But, Whistlehead did do a mock up, and used photobucket. By digging around in his photobucket profile I did manage to retrieve this:
01_urban_sketchup_01.jpg

That's the best you will get, unless Whistlehead visits, and still has the original.

Note: If there is any copyright infringement, let me know and I'll take it down.
Main Layout: Planning | The Build

Erikslund - a small shunting layout

Zoso

Postby Zoso » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:57 am

Hi,

Thanks very much for digging that out! Very interesting indeed! I'm in the early stages of planning right now so I could go in any direction!

I have had a re-mesure, and may be able to run to 8 x 4, which would obviously open more options up.

I'll keep digging for more inspiration! I would like to have something with an elevated section, with perhaps a tunnel underneath and a few sidings in the center to have some fun shunting trucks about. I'll search o see what's feasible!

Thanks again.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:18 am

Zoso

Postby Zoso » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:58 am

Thanks for that link, looks very nice indeed!

Return to “Track/Layout Design”