Signals How And Where

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Dwarfboysim

Signals How And Where

Postby Dwarfboysim » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:51 am

Hi,
I am currently building a model layout. I wouid like to put some signals in my layout but I am confused but what each mean and where they should go. Does anyone have any pictures of some in their layouts along with descriptions of what they are for, 2 lines 1 etc etc etc.

Thanks,
Dwarfboysim
Cinders And Ashes I'm Stuck, And He Was!!
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page

Roger (RJ)

Re: Signals How And Where

Postby Roger (RJ) » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:21 am

There is a very good Website all about signalling.

poliss

Postby poliss » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:03 pm

This website covers signalling on model railways. http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~rdmur ... clinic.htm

Dwarfboysim

Postby Dwarfboysim » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:00 pm

Hi all,
Thanks for the tips so far but I am still a bit confused. I am wanting to use the Hornby signals R169, R170, R171 and R172 but I still am not sure where to place them etc, how many. If anyone could have a look at the attached track plan and offer some guidance or even show me on the plan that would be great. The plan is taken from the Hornby 2009 Track Plan book.

Thanks,
Dwarfboysim
Attachments
Model Train Layout.jpg
Scan From Track Plan Book
Model Train Layout.jpg (108.25 KiB) Viewed 1587 times
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Bending prototype principles to a fully visible roundy roundy and being limited to only using Hornby signals means taking an awful lot of liberties, but I'll have a go:

Model%20Train%20Layout.jpg
Model%20Train%20Layout.jpg (54.18 KiB) Viewed 1554 times

I have only used R169 and R171 signals, distants will just get in the way on such a busy layout. I've also taken the plan 'as drawn' even though the arrangement of the lower platform is slightly odd, there's no way of getting a clockwise train in or out without a lot of wrong-direction running (personally I'd ditch the lower platform and use these as anti-clockwise goods loops). I've assumed conventional left-hand running.

I have not shown block sections as such ( a major departure from the prototype) but there isn't really room. But I have made sure that every facing junction has a junction signal, and every trailing connection is protected by a signal (even if some of them are quite a way back and protecting other things too). I have not shown any ground signals for shunting as Hornby don't do them, and the two signals controlling the exit from the goods yard and the loco sheds could be ground signals too in some locations. There is no signalling in the loco shed complex or in the goods yards. The signal marked 'X' can be omitted if you want, in which case the level crossing is protected by signals 3 and 4 for clockwise trains.

[Edit] - There is no signal numbered 1 or 2, I've deleted them !

Basic rules - on junction signals the taller post indicates the primary route (main or higher speed etc); only one train in between each pair of consecutive signal at one time.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Dwarfboysim

Postby Dwarfboysim » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:07 pm

Hi,
Does anyone know of anyway to automate these signals? Can you use some kind of point motor or something similar? If not can you buy automated signals?

Thanks,
Dwarfboysim
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page

gppsoftware

Postby gppsoftware » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:32 am

Dwarfboysim wrote:Hi,
I am currently building a model layout. I wouid like to put some signals in my layout but I am confused but what each mean and where they should go. Does anyone have any pictures of some in their layouts along with descriptions of what they are for, 2 lines 1 etc etc etc.

Thanks,
Dwarfboysim

We have a very comprehensive article here which takes an example layout and signals it prototypically: http://www.mrol.com.au/Articles/Signalling%20And%20Interlocking/SignallingAndInterlocking.aspx

Graham Plowman

Return to “Track/Layout Design”