SCARM - Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
combatkev

Re: SCARM - Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller

Postby combatkev » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:43 pm

Hello Mixy

I have been using Scarm again to further to design my layout,

I really like the incline feature :lol:

However I would like to add a few requests if possible.

The ability to set the baseboard size, I have already designed part of my layout in the loft and have restricted space and board sizes, I would like to set these on the track plan.
I would like to be able to set a series of small boards rather that just one large one.

When I zoom in and out of the track plan I would like it to zoom to the mouse point and not just the screen top left, it annoying that I have to zoom then move to the correct point.

The last one is with the accessories, I would like to be able to position my station platforms and other key items on the layout, just blocks would be good for now.

Once again thank you for all of your hard work in making this program, and responding to the forums.

Regards Kevin

Mixy

Postby Mixy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:52 am

Hi Kevin,

Happy New Year to you and to all forum readers! I wish you all the best during the year, good health and wonderful moments with our hobby :)

All of your requests are planned and will be ready in some of the next versions of SCARM. The “zoom to mouse” and “zoom during flex-track modeling” features will come first. Baseboard shaping and fixing will follow :)

Regards,

Mixy
from Bulgaria
Last edited by Mixy on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam_UK

Postby Adam_UK » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:59 am

Hi!

I have a question about terrain planning on SCARM:

I haven't used it yet, and am researching the various layout planning software options... Is it possible to plan/design layout landscaping at various heights? Or is it necessary to design them as if they are flat? I'm looking for something that will allow me to accurately plan the heights of hills / track. I don't necessarily need it to be rendered in 3d, providing it can be seen on a print out.

Cheers,

Adam, Midlands, UK

Mixy

Postby Mixy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:19 pm

Hi Adam,

At the present, is possible to set track heights in SCARM and to see them in 2D and 3D, but not terrain, such as hills and valleys. However, I am working over terrain planning and rendering engine and it will appear in some of the next major versions of SCARM.

Regards,

Mixy,
from Bulgaria

combatkev

Postby combatkev » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:56 pm

Hello.

Would it be possible for you to explain a bit about adding track and accessories to the libaries

I have managed to define my baseboards as accessories so that I can see my actual layout better
This was done with a lot of trial and error. But I think that with a bit of info
We could make our our mods to the libaries and help you by giving you the feedback.

I basically used the hornby isolated track accessory and extended the grey bits to resemble my baseboards.

Regards Kevin

Mixy

Postby Mixy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:25 am

Hi Kevin,

The most important parameter in Accessories is the offsets array at the end of declaration. It describes points coordinates (as offsets in millimetres), starting from track basepoint. First digit in each coordinate is the offset to the left (-) or right (-) from track direction, and second digit is offset along direction (-) or opposite to direction (+). Zero values will keep the directions. First coordinate offset is accessory starting point. Last coordinate point is automatically connected with line to accessory starting point. Isolation tracks are not suitable for experiments – my suggestion is try with Tillig-TT-Std lib and track #6510 – remove subaccessory declarations and then play with array to make different shapes then base rectangle.
Track accessories are intended for turnouts mechanisms, connection pins, bumpers and other stuff like this. They can be used also for train stations platforms, signals or even marking of depots and other buildings. But creating baseboard shape as track accessory may be difficult, because every time when it is clicked with the mouse, it will be selected. So you must place it as first track, and then select other tracks directly with pointing them instead of using selection rectangle.
See sample library with parameter descriptions at http://www.scarm.info/temp/BTTB-TT.lib for more information.
Please note that if you create new tracks or accessories, program may not handle correctly some errors, such as missing separators or wrong or missing values in parameter declarations and can crash.

Regards,

Mixy
from Bulgaria

Mixy

Postby Mixy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:13 am

New version 0.5.0 of SCARM is released :)

The new features are Baseboard drawing, Continuous flex-track modelling (using repeat function with Spacebar), Zoom-to-mouse and Recent files list. See Version history and FAQ section at http://www.scarm.info for more details.

Mixy,
from Bulgaria

combatkev

Postby combatkev » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:35 pm

Hello Mixy,

Thank you for the added baseboard support,

Just one quick question, is it possible to have a cutout in the baseboard? as I have an around the loft layout

Regards Kevin

Mixy

Postby Mixy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:01 am

Hi Kevin,

Yes, it is possible. See the sample baseboard below:

To create something like this, you need to create each side, starting from red dot and following the path showed below:

The baseboard support is very simple for now. I need some time to make more tests with different baseboards and then I will decide how to improve it if necessary.

Regards,

Mixy,
from Bulgaria

dman-lewis

Postby dman-lewis » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:11 pm

It's all looking good.

Well done so far.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39259141@N05/ Mostly photos of railway surroundings in my life.
http://whitwellstation.com/

Mixy

Postby Mixy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:48 pm

Thank you, dman-lewis :)

New version 0.6.0 of SCARM is ready and released on http://www.scarm.info/index_en.html.

New features are Parts list, Libraries grouping, Extended multilanguage support, new track libraries and some other minor improvements.

Mixy,
from Bulgaria

nf3996

Postby nf3996 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:31 am

Will you be adding Kato N gauge Unitrack to the library? You can find details of the N gauge track lengths and radii here - http://www.nscalesupply.com/KAT/KAT-UniTrack.html (the measurements used are all in millimetres).

Many thanks,

Alan

Mixy

Postby Mixy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:46 am

Hi Alan,

Thank you for the link. Yes, I will try to add Kato N Unitrack library till end of the next week.

Regards,

Mixy,
from Bulgaria

Mixy

Postby Mixy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:12 pm

Kato N Unitrack is now available in the new version 0.6.2 of SCARM :)

There are some issues with double straight and double curved tracks in the Kato N library (no directions in selection buttons, slopes can’t cover more than one doubled section at a time), as missing bridge and viaduct tracks, but I will try to fix them in the next versions of SCARM.

Mixy,
from Bulgaria

Mixy

Postby Mixy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:19 pm

Version 0.7.0 of SCARM is released.

The most important new features are Print and Print preview mode for WYSIWYG layout printouts. See how below:

To print the whole layout in SCARM, just press "Print" button from the toolbar – the program will automatically fit the track route onto the page and will print it on the default printer.

If you want to see the page with your layout before printing, press "Print Preview" button from the toolbar – this will activate Print Preview mode.

If you wish to print given part from the track route, make sure that Print Preview mode is active ("View" > "Show as Print Preview" must be checked), move and/or resize the drawing to get desired layout part into view and then press "Print" button - SCARM will print the page exactly as it is viewed on the screen. Remember that you can edit your project and make all other things no matter whether you are working in normal mode or in Print Preview mode.

If you make changes while working in Print Preview mode, so layout orientation is no longer optimal, toggle off and then on again "View" > "Show as Print Preview" – SCARM will set the page orientation according to current layout orientation. Press "Fit to Page" button from the toolbar if you wish to fit the layout on the page. Actually, switching off and on the "Print Preview" button does the same thing for you.

If you wish precise control over the printing process, select "File" > "Print" and set desired options in the print dialog box.

Note: If the layout has a baseboard defined and there are tracks outside baseboard contours, those tracks will not be taken into account when SCARM calculates layout position and size in the printable area.

I hope that print features in SCARM will be very useful, but if you have suggestions or other ideas about better printing, please let me know.

Mixy,
from Bulgaria

Return to “Track/Layout Design”