Blown CDU

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
guinnesskid

Blown CDU

Postby guinnesskid » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:52 am

I wired up the final sets of points on my layout yesterday and all were working fine with unsoldered connections. Once I had checked the operation I soldered everything up and everything worked. Went to run a loco round the track and none of the points worked. I've looked under the baseboard and there isn't a light showing on my CDU. All the wiring appears to be in place, have I wrecked the CDU?
I'm thinking of becoming an alcoholic - It's cheaper than N gauging and not quite as taxing on my brain.

dan lane

Re: Blown CDU

Postby dan lane » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:46 am

might seem simple, but always worth checking...is it plugged in?

RAILWAY INSTRUCTOR

Postby RAILWAY INSTRUCTOR » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 am

As Dan has just said....is it plugged in, what is the light that doesnt illuminate, is it power light or output ready light and what make of CDU is it ?

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:45 pm

I might be mis-understanding something here, but why & where have you a light connected to your CDU module ?

As I remember on my old layout points & CDU set up, if I connected a 12v test lamp bulb would momentary light up then dim out while still connected , as CDU circuit is only a momentary pulse & cdu cannot re-set untill test light is removed,... so I'm thinking maybe one of the point switches is at fault by making a permanent contact somewhere ?

Either that, or the power feeds in & out of the CDU have been mixed up as once happened to me :oops: ., I've also encountered an intermitant fault due to a broken wire which was'nt obvious & hard to find as no damage to outer covering of wire.

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

RAILWAY INSTRUCTOR

Postby RAILWAY INSTRUCTOR » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:47 pm

Dave
Just a quick answer to your query about lights on CDU units, some do have output/input lights (normally the built in ones, like morley controllers etc,) perhaps its one of those.
Howard

guinnesskid

Postby guinnesskid » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:09 pm

Thanks for your replies guys. The CDU is by Ontrack and there is a permanent red led to show when it is wired correctly. Until yesterday this was working but now nada/zilch/zippo. It is still connected to my HM2000 and the tracks are still powered, just no points moving. I think I might have to backtrack and maybe Desolder/unsolder and start again. As I said in my op everything was working fine but small area- big solder I could maybe have a short.
I'm thinking of becoming an alcoholic - It's cheaper than N gauging and not quite as taxing on my brain.

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:03 am

Make sure you've got input to the cdu. Disconnect the output and switch on. Of no light then there must be a problem with the cdu. If there is a light, then you probably do have either a short or a closed circuit where it should be open. If there's no short to be found, reconnect the point solenoids one at a time until the fault occurs.
Pete.

Return to “Track/Layout Design”