New Layout - Track Choice Help

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Petepot

New Layout - Track Choice Help

Postby Petepot » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:43 pm

Hi all,
I am in the VERY early stages of planning a DCC layout. Will I be able to achieve a decent layout planned at 11feet x 5 feet max - using Peco Streamline points such as SL96 medium radius ? What about the longer SL89 type ?
I would hope to use about 13 points plus some crossings. Maybe even a slip point.
A pal advised that I should stick to Hornby set track, as Streamline geometry would cause problems in this size of layout.
However, I have been collecting some new track, so far:-
2 full ovals of Hornby 2nd and 3rd radius curves.
14 off R621 97cm long flex track.
3 off Hornby set track points (only 1 has the M after the number !), and 3 new type Hornby surface motors.
I have also collected some Insulfrog Peco points :
2 off set track straight points,
5 off SL95/96 type meduim radius straight points.
10 off SL 88/89 long straight points.
9 off SL 86/87 long curved points.
1 off 3 way point, 1 off double slip, and 2 off x long crossings.
I obtained all the Peco points from a friend, most are new and still boxed, and I was going to sell them all and buy Hornby set track instead, but it seems such a pity because, A. I have them, and B. the Peco points seem better quality !
So, what if any can I use from the above on an 11 x 5 layout?
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Petepot.
Hornby Elite, Railmaster, Touchscreen.

phil sabin

Re: New Layout - Track Choice Help

Postby phil sabin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:44 pm

As I dont model in OO I wouldn't like to say.
But the one off ones may cause an issue due to not knowing the turn out angles.

Have you thought about trying Anyrail or Xtrakcad demo's to see what you can design on that size layout using peco and hornby options?

Hope this helps
My N gauge layout Milton Grove TMD viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27781

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:45 pm

well why don't you count all your track and draw a layout in XtrkCad! Its your decission what your layout is going to be like.

Andrew
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

Julia

Postby Julia » Sat May 01, 2010 3:42 am

Peco stream line should be no problem in that amount of space. I am using peco code 75 stream line track and pointwork on my desk layout, which is 5ft long, and am even managing to use peco long points in there.

HTH

J

Petepot

Postby Petepot » Sun May 02, 2010 12:27 am

Hi,
Many thanks for your help. I guessed that as many of the folks on this site prefer Peco, then it follows that at some early stage they had to choose to use medium radius or large radius turnouts (or both?). I was led to believe that the layout dimensions would dictate this, hence my concern in planning my 11x 5 effort.
From the assistance above, I am encouraged that long turnouts have been used in a smaller layout, so I will see if they can fit in well.
I have downloaded a free Xtrakcad (seems complicated...) and I will try this out for planning.
Thanks again,
Peter...
Hornby Elite, Railmaster, Touchscreen.

Julia

Postby Julia » Sun May 02, 2010 1:27 am

Petepot wrote:Hi,
Many thanks for your help. I guessed that as many of the folks on this site prefer Peco, then it follows that at some early stage they had to choose to use medium radius or large radius turnouts (or both?). I was led to believe that the layout dimensions would dictate this, hence my concern in planning my 11x 5 effort.
From the assistance above, I am encouraged that long turnouts have been used in a smaller layout, so I will see if they can fit in well.
I have downloaded a free Xtrakcad (seems complicated...) and I will try this out for planning.
Thanks again,
Peter...

You can mix the turnouts quite happily, the layout I mention above is 5ft long, by 20" wide, and has a mix of large, medium, and small radius points. You aren't constrained to just one size for a layout.

Xtrkcad is a powerful peice of software, but it is not the simplest thing to learn. Follow the tutorials, and have a play, but don't expect to be an expert in the first hour or so. Any questions, just ask.

J

Return to “Track/Layout Design”