Layout Help

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
josh29

Layout Help

Postby josh29 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:04 pm

G'day!
I'm planning to make a small desk layout, but I'm not sure if it's workable with DC, as I'm not using DCC.

I've added an attachment of my layout plan, so any comments would be welcome!

Thanks!
Attachments
Layout Plan.jpg
Layout Plan.jpg (14.79 KiB) Viewed 1221 times

Brianetta

Re: Layout Help

Postby Brianetta » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:36 am

You might need more than just that one power track. You could use DCC electro-clips in the points (yes, even for DC) if you intend to run only one train. If you plan to have more than one, then you'll need to provide power to several places on the track, and think about how you'll go about isolating things.

Flakmunky

Postby Flakmunky » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:23 am

As Brianetta says, if you are running only one train then you can wire it up so that the whole thing is live, otherwise you will need to add some switches.

Son-1

Postby Son-1 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:14 am

Station will be inaccessible even with clips. By putting power to the station as well, it will also be possible to have 2 locos on the layout and select one to run with via points if no clips are fitted.
Stephen T

Brianetta

Postby Brianetta » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:54 am

Son-1 wrote:Station will be inaccessible even with clips.

Clips would direct power to the entire track, without any trouble, including the station track that's parallel to the power track.

josh29

Postby josh29 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:56 am

Thanks for the info everyone. So how would I go about wiring it up so that the whole thing is live and getting power to the Station ?

josh29

Postby josh29 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:02 am

Brianetta wrote:

Clips would direct power to the entire track, without any trouble, including the station track that's parallel to the power track.

So clips would work ? I'd need to put clips on each point, is that right ? I've never used clips before.

Brianetta

Postby Brianetta » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:05 pm

josh29 wrote:
Brianetta wrote:

So clips would work ? I'd need to put clips on each point, is that right ? I've never used clips before.

Yes, they'd work, with the very, very important caveat that you can only have one train on the layout at once. If you have more than one, they will all move and stop together. The clips are designed for DCC, where all the trains share a circuit and move independently on live track. You'll be using them for DC, where you will be applying power to every train on every part of every track.

Also, clips are tiny little staple-like things, that can work loose and become intermittent from time to time. I'd recommend you do it right, from the start. Don't use just the one power track, but connect power to several parts of the track such that you can turn them on and off independently (this usually needs you to use plastic rail joiners in places, instead of the metal ones you will already have). The points already can act as electrical switches to provide or deprive track of power, depending on their position (electro-clips override this feature). If you can deprive a part of track of power, on demand, then you can let a train remain motionless there whilst another moves elsewhere. If you only want one train to be moving at a time, you still only need one controller, but you will need some way to switch off other trains.

If you bought your points new, they came with a leaflet describing how they work electrically. Have a look around the Track/Layout Design forum and the Electronics forum for more info; there's a wealth of advice there already, although of course you can ask questions directly. (-:

josh29

Postby josh29 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:13 pm

Thanks very much for the info and help, this is just what I needed to know! I'm only planning on using one train, so this sounds like it'll work great for me. I haven't bought my track yet, I'm planning on buying it from ehattons, so when I get the points I'll take a look at that leaflet.

Thanks again!

Return to “Track/Layout Design”