Layout considerations and space.

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
centenary

Layout considerations and space.

Post by centenary »

When I first found this forum and started drawing up some layouts, I thought it would be quite easy to make a decision on what I liked. But, having read a few threads where others had said how difficult it was to make the final decison, Im inclined to agree!

I bought AnyRail and can only say the new V4 is really, really good. But, the point about any layout software is it brings home to you what you can and cant do in the available space with your selected scale. When you draw, you can 'cheat' and get that curve or extra siding in. Its only when you use dedicated software that you can see that curve of siding wont fit.

I''ve done a few layouts with AnyRail now and while I like a couple more than the others, I still havent done one Im totally happy with.

I've an area approximately 5.3m by 2.6m in which to plan \ build a layout. But I keep coming back to everything being on one level when I'd like some high level track that doesnt obscure low level track when viewed from the centre controlling position. I want some sidings I can get stock in to from both directions (up \ down) and be capable of parking rolling stock when not in use. At least one station capable of accommodating a loco and 6 carriages is wanted too.

am I expecting too much for the area in OO scale? I dont want to go N scale as although a lot more track could be included, N's just too small for my taste.

Below are 3 layouts which have been progressed from other ideas. The Master is the most preferred at the moment follwed by Station. The Crossover is very much a work in progress.

I like elements from all three. None have a high level line. Is it possible to get a meaningful high level line in a space of 5.3m by 2.6m? any suggested improvements?

TIA
Attachments
Crossover Layout
Crossover Layout
Crossover.jpg (220.19 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
Station Layout
Station Layout
Station Layout.jpg (240.7 KiB) Viewed 1908 times
Master Layout
Master Layout
Master.jpg (252.41 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
RFS

Re: Layout considerations and space.

Post by RFS »

Having just decided to redesign my layout to make it simpler to operate, I would have thought the North Crossing on your Master plan will be an operational nightmare. You basically have a 4-track mainline, but you won't be able to run 4 trains simultaneously due to the crossing. Two would be OK but any more will require constant vigilance.....
Robert Smith
craw607

Post by craw607 »

Hi centenary.
If I was deciding which to build I would opt for the master/first design.
I think it has more option for train movements which would need more
attention to have trains running successfully.

John
Julia

Post by Julia »

craw607 wrote:Hi centenary.
If I was deciding which to build I would opt for the master/first design.
I think it has more option for train movements which would need more
attention to have trains running successfully.
I disagree, I would go for the bottom one, but simplify it abit. If you aren't careful the layout will end up as a cramped collection of curves, rather than a beautiful work of modelling art.

J
egroeg93

Post by egroeg93 »

I'd go for a combination of 1 and 3. I hope you realise the mammoth wiring task that you give yourself in #1. #3 is nice, I like it, but comes across a little cramped. You'd have to try it in the flesh.