Help with my design..what do you think??? check my plan....

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
goosestar5

Help with my design..what do you think??? check my plan....

Postby goosestar5 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:58 pm

hi all

just spent about 6 mths trying to build my layout, been doing it "Freehand" without track plans or design programs, not looking bad just, trial and error.
and not to sure if ive added the pic to the post correctly
board is 5'3 x 9'0

GREEN = tunnel and countryside
BLUE = small town area
RED = Stations
with a small shunting area in the middle of the design.
Any help and tips would be greatful....if this has worked then will post some pics of the layout.
cheers guys.

http://picasaweb.google.com/105115396647812208285/TrackLayout#5451105107656458626
Last edited by goosestar5 on Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Son-1

Re: Help with design and how to up load pics

Postby Son-1 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Not possible to look at.
Oops... there's nothing to see here. Either you do not have access to these photos, or they don't exist at this web address. Please contact the owner directly to gain access.
Stephen T

goosestar5

Re: Help with design and how to up load pics

Postby goosestar5 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:14 pm

sorry try now.....think ive now added it to a public album........ can you tell im new to this!!!!! :oops:

Zunnan

Re: Help with my design..what do you think??? check my plan....

Postby Zunnan » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:17 pm

The main thing I noticed is that the plan as drawn only provides a single circuit, meaning that only one train can be operated on the main line (unless you use DCC, but then you'll have the chance of collisions at the crossing on the bottom edge). If you remove that crossing, and allow the lines to slew across together you will have a double track circuit, and by providing a crossover in the inner line you can also operate that as a third loop. I altered your plan to reflect these changes, as below.

It should fit the space you have, the inner line will be a little restricted, but I think you should still manage to fit it in using up to 3rd radius with the inner of the double track loops safely being able to use 3rd radius or larger meaning you'll have no problems running the latest locomotives.

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:27 pm

I can see three separate circuits :P - The small inner circuit (assuming that thin line is a section of track) and a double track main line. I'd use a single slip where the top left station joins the main line, instead of a crossover. That way a train can leave the station onto the outer track, and enter from the inner one.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

goosestar5

Postby goosestar5 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:41 pm

hi all
them thin lines were someone elses idea check out the link for my original plan..........
down in the celler trying these ideas as we speek, please keep um coming as im a complete novice at this but enjoying every minute of it!!
p.s. will be converting to DCC "when i can afford it" :(
cheers guys

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:33 pm

I think its good,

If it were me, I'd make the part where it spirals in to the station, convered by a hill (tunnel)

Flakmunky

Postby Flakmunky » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:10 pm

Is that a double slip at the top on the outer line?

goosestar5

Postby goosestar5 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:57 pm

it could be , i originally have just a cross over but now (with advise) will be butting points in so trains can leave the station on 1 line and enter on another......if that makes sense??

will have to post some pics to make it easier.... just will have to look at them through the the picasa link for now, not to sure how to attach pics yet..... :?

Return to “Track/Layout Design”