Points de railing loco one direction.

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
steveb

Points de railing loco one direction.

Postby steveb » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:29 am

hi all,
I know this is probably a daft question but here goes.
Have just finished my first layout,and I read somewhere that as a general rule trains should travel in a clockwise direction.
Well I forgot this,and found my Hornby Cadbury Castle was derailing when I sent it over the points in an anti-clockwise direction.I tried everything-checked for loose ballast and anything else i could think of and was just about to rip the points up and replace them,but went to bed instead.
The following day I ran the loco in a clockwise direction-no problem -no derailing-why?
A small tank engine I have runs either way with no problem.
Is there a differece-is one direction more likely to give problems
Told you it was a daft question-but its got me stumped

Regards
Steve

nickbrad

Re: Points de railing loco one direction.

Postby nickbrad » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:53 am

I've never heard that trains should be run in a clockwise direction before and that is kind of defeated for everyone with end to end layouts, lol. It does seem strange though, have you got another tender engine you could try over the same points?

bike2steam

Postby bike2steam » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:57 am

If one loco is running ok don't rip the point up. Where exactly on the point is the derailing loco coming off ? If it's a check rail, I would suspect a wrong 'back to back' wheel set on the derailing loco.Also check that the 'switch rails' (the rails that move) in the point are sitting in place correctly when closed.
Where did you get this clockwise nonsense from ?? Should run ok either way.
Paul

steveb

Postby steveb » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:32 am

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your reply,can't remember where I read this about trains preferably going in a clockwise direction,I wish I could.If I do find it I'll post it.
Having watched the de-railing more closely it seems to be to front bogies that are being the cause.They do seem very loose.Perhaps that is the problem.I see there is a brass screw holding them on,should that be reasonably tight or very loose?
I don't have another tender engine at present.

Regards
Steve

slackbladder

Postby slackbladder » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:39 am

I have had this problem, I found sometimes an easy quick solution was to glue a thin piece of plastic (something like a strip cut from some blister pack) glue it to the side of the check rail make it slightly longer than the checkrail and bend the ends outward a tad.. I will try to get a pic for you later.
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:26 am

First up, what track are you using ? If it's set track and the points are also set track, it could be that the Loco' doesn't like the small radius of the points. If it's something like Peco streamline with medium or large radius points, then the back to back measurements could be wrong. I usually set mine (with Peco code 75 track) to 14.7 mm. The measurement that's usually given is 14.5 mm, but the extra 0.2 seems to make all my stock and Loco's run nicely through points and crossings.

On the other hand, it could be a combination of set track points and back to back measurements.

Confused ? I ain't finished yet. :)

Whatever track you're using, try setting the back to backs at 14.5 mm on the bogie of the Loco' in question. If it still derails, then run it really slowly over the points so you can see where the wheels are lifting off the rails. It could well be the check rail as bike2steam and slackbladder have mentioned, so that's your next step.

To set the back to backs, you'll need something to set it with. You can buy B to B gauges, or use a vernier caliper, which is what I use.

One more thing. You could try gluing a small piece of lead on top of the bogie to give it a bit extra weight.

Let us know if you're not confused yet, we're always willing to help. :)
Pete.

steveb

Postby steveb » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:05 pm

Hi everybody,
Firstly a big thank you to everybody who replied to my problem of my loco de-railing when traveling anti clockwise over points but not when traveling clockwise.
I think I've found the problem and do I feel stupid?
Having run my finger along the track I found a track pin had raised up.
I don't know if this was the cause but since I removed it,the loco has run without de-railing in both directions.
Why it only de-railed over this pin when going anti-clockwise(if that was the cause)I don't know,but I aren't going to lose any sleep trying to work it out.It runs fine and stays on the rails.
Thanks to everyone who tried to help and in the meantime I have posted a problem on the DCC section about creeping locos so if I don't get any replies I'll presume everyone wil think I'm thickie.

Cheers
Steve

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:35 pm

Did you check for track pins sticking up. I just thought I'd ask. :wink:
Pete.

steveb

Postby steveb » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:02 pm

Hi Peterm
Say no more.(see previous message)
Steve

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:57 pm

British trains generally run on the left, so, if you have a double track oval, the outside one will go clockwise and the inner one anticlockwise (up and down from wherever). if your track is single...well, it doesn't matter. Because Britain developed railways and railway rules and customs early in history these were copied in many countries, even where they later decided to drive cart on the right.
rocketman.

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:58 pm

steveb wrote:Hi Peterm
Say no more.(see previous message)
Steve

Yeah I've seen it. I was just being a smart arse. :)
Pete.

steveb

Postby steveb » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:46 am

Hello Rocketman,
I think you've solved it.
I bet that's what I read,so not completely imagined it after all.
Cheers,
Steve

phonebook

Postby phonebook » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:43 pm

would make it a bugger getting from Euston Square to Great Portland Street tho

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:58 pm

either accept the running rules...
or walk!
Rocketman

Return to “Track/Layout Design”