Storage yards..........

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
bigbob

Storage yards..........

Postby bigbob » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:45 am

I want to build a storage yard for storing rolling stock, i don`t want to hide it so want to make it realistic if possible. However as i have little knowledge of railways need some help!!!
I have room to extend my layout and was thinking of having one line into the yard going into several sidings but i don`t want to have to reverse in so that the loco then drives back out. Came up with a plan but just wondered if it would work and be a realistic solution??? :D

Did a quick plan with any-rail using set track but i will be using streamline points but you get the idea!

Bob
Growing old is compulsary, growing up is optional!

ALL CLASS 50`S SHOULD BE CUT UP INTO SMALL PIECES AND USED FOR SOMETHING MORE USEFUL LIKE A PAPER-WEIGHT

bigbob

Re: Storage yards..........

Postby bigbob » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:34 pm

Bit of a tweak!!

Bob

ALL CLASS 50`S SHOULD BE CUT UP INTO SMALL PIECES AND USED FOR SOMETHING MORE USEFUL LIKE A PAPER-WEIGHT

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:55 pm

Thats a typical marshalling yard layout basically, the only thing I would alter is the angle of the points so as to reduce the unused space between sidings which in turn will allow for more sidings in the same space; if you have room for the pointwork. If you are going to use Streamline, then make use of 3-way points where possible as these will greatly help in reducing the space taken up by the required pointwork.

bigbob

Postby bigbob » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:06 pm

Thanks for that! I was wondering how i could close the gaps. Does anyone do a curved 3 way point as that would help? Can`t find a peco 3 way one in streamline. Do they do one?? Probably should have said it`s N Gauge!

Bob

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:16 pm

By that I assume you're working in N Gauge then :)

Peco have a 3-way in the pipeline for Code 55, it is a straight asymetrical point, it's been mooted for quite some time now so shouldn't be too far away. It will be the same as their OO code 75 3-way. However, I would think that like the other points in their code 55 range that it should be possible to bend if you are careful and use the right amount of heat to soften the plastic. I've done this myself to several points and crossings and they proved every bit as reliable as non modified pointwork.

bigbob

Postby bigbob » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:55 pm

This will tighten things up abit! Not perfect but can`t get used to playing with flexi!!

Bob

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:39 pm

I've drawn up a couple of quick plans for basic marshalling yards using Setrack (using OO for clarity).

The first is a modification of your current plans where the approach lines are at a steep angle. The positioning of another set of points to replace the curved sections after the initial set of points gives this plan the ability to add an extra siding in between the original sidings in your plan. The points on the approach and departure roads do need spacing apart slightly to accomodate the extra siding in the otherwise unused space.

This plan shows the more conventional layout for the plan you have drawn up. The points are at a shallower angle and as can be seen, the 6 sidings in this plan fit into a space over a foot narrower than the 7 sidings in the original, but are actually of very similar useful length with a similar overall length. Boosting this plan to 7 sidings would only add an extra 2 inches to the overall width.

The third is a different design of a typical layout for a marshalling yard, it is also the more commonly modelled type. The only disadvantage this has over the initial two designs is that the siding length varies, ie: the sidings shorten the further away from the centre road they are. However, this is offset by it being easier to fit into a loop on account of the entry and exit tracks being more or less on the centre of the board rather than to one side or the other. Again, the overall width is considerably narrower due to the shallower angle at which the points sit.

bigbob

Postby bigbob » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:45 pm

Thanks for taking the time to do that, i appreciate it :D Certainly give me a few more ideas to think about!

Bob

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:48 am

Another idea could be to use Google maps to zoom over real life yards.
One such example would be March, Cambs with both Whitemoor to look at and also a second yard to the east of the station. The second yard does require trains to reverse in though, however if this option is taken at least you can say that it isn't prototypical. To the west of March station, there's even a triangle if you want to model a real location with plenty of interest. :wink:

bigbob

Postby bigbob » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:36 am

Been playing about and with the space i have available i think this is the best i can get... As an after thought just wondering if i should add some extra tracks to help with shunting? Any ideas welcome!!!

The storage is for rolling stock only and shortest is about 4ft which in N should give me enough, i hope!

Bob

bigbob

Postby bigbob » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:40 pm

My head hurts now, not playing any more!! This is it, after playing most of the day and pinching a bit more room this is the plan.
If you see any problems please tell me or it`s getting built this weekend!!

(some feedback please :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Bob

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:02 pm

At first glance the scissors crossing by the loco shed seems over-complicated, but I can't think of a better way of arranging the tracks so It's probably about right. With DC control the wiring in this area will be slightly more complicated but nothing too stressful. For an older layout, the short sidings could be used for brake van storage after they've been detached from trains. In this case I'd change the upper short siding so access was from the other end. This would make shunting trains travelling left-> right slightly easier. The points leading to the lower short siding should be moved to the right hand end of that track, so you can access it even when the loop is full of wagons.

Depending on the time period you choose, the lower siding could be part of a transshipment area between road and rail. In the modern era it would most likely involve a container crane transferring containers to trucks. For an older setting, a simple goods shed or covered platform for unloading and loading by hand would be more appropriate, with perhaps an end loading dock for vehicles and a small trackside crane.

All in all, looks like a good fun layout. I could spend hours shunting a yard like this one :D

Pete
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

bigbob

Postby bigbob » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:10 pm

Cheers Pete, this is an extension of my existing layout where the locos will enter from the bottom right. The idea is that they drive into the storage, dump their wagons then drive out down the track joined to the "no idea" one (like the idea of a container/crane idea though, thanks for that!!)

And it`s DCC so should be straight forward for wiring!

Bob

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:17 pm

I did some planning before building mine
I had considered using points after points, but it doesn't actually create any increase in storage space, so a conventional ladder is best

I agree the scissors crossing is over comlicating the depot, equally I have never seen one used in a depot, the track work is usually kept as simple as possible (also allowing staff to see where a train is going in advance)
A simple pair of crossings is all that is required, but this does mean a loco from the lower track need to reverse
Equally, the fuel depot would have priority over the depot, so I would swap them round
Place the fuel depot on the lower track, and this would allow locos to/from the depot clear access to reverse in what would effectively become a kickback siding

One final note, don't always think in two dimensions!
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

bigbob

Postby bigbob » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:48 pm

Swapped the fuel depot and loco shed over, done away with scissor crossing for normal points. Better???

Bob

Return to “Track/Layout Design”