OO layout size

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
locoworks

Re: OO layout size

Postby locoworks » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:54 pm

klaatu wrote:
egroeg93 wrote:Is going round the whole room possible?

Unfortunately not. One possible alternative would be to have a 10' x 5' rectangular layout, which it seems would let me have my double loop in OO, just not as long a loop as I had hoped for.

Steve

with a 5 foot wide board reaching to the rear to clean track etc is a bit awkward, assuminmg you are in a room, what about going round 3 walls and having a narrow 'bridge' between the two ends of the horse shoe with a lift out section so you can operate from in the middle. this gives the impression of more room as the loco can go out of site behind you giving an imaginary country run before it comes back into view. operating a tail chaser from the outside is like watching a scalextric race. though not the end of the world if you have to, a few hills and tunnels to break things up a bit helps avoid with the merry go round look.

klaatu

Postby klaatu » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:32 am

The Sprinter set has arrived, and I'm very pleased with it. I don't think I'll have any problems with N-scale, it's not as tiny as I'd imagined, and I think I'll give it a go - now to start on the layout design!

Many thanks for all the advice.

Steve

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:25 pm

this is always the problem...
not enough space! It tortures me always. I like OO, it has enough 'size' to seem real (to me). I can hold things and work in it and it has more choices than 'N'
as I get older it is kinder to my eyes and my fingers so I don't think I will ever change...
but I cannot say for you
"N" will give you 4x the space of OO but can you use it and do you want to buy all that extra stock?
you pays yer money and you taks yer choice
rocketman

Return to “Track/Layout Design”