Help with cutting flexi track to size

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Daci1983

Help with cutting flexi track to size

Postby Daci1983 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:45 pm

Hello all,

I have purchased some Xuron track cutters on the advice of this website which I have found very effective, however I am finding it near on impossible to get the rails to stay still once I've cut them. I am bending the track into a curve somewhere between a 2nd and 3rd radius so not too tight, and then I mark on the track where I need to cut it. As I'm not able to pin it at this point it always straightens again so I can cut it, and then when I bend it back into shape the rails are out of line again as they have moved either up and down the sleepers.

Can anyone help me out here with any advice as I am wasting loads of track by cutting it away? I hope I have made my problem clear.

What I want is to have 2 ends of the rail aligned and then when I bend the track they stay still and then its only the other end which I need to cut.

Thank you for any help as it is so frustrating.

Regards,
Rob

pete12345

Re: Help with cutting flexi track to size

Postby pete12345 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:56 pm

This is one of those jobs that really needs two pairs of hands :lol: Failing that, you could always pin the track down as you bend it (rather than trying to bend and pin the whole length in one go) then just trim the rail ends once it's down.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

Steve with the Hat

Postby Steve with the Hat » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:06 pm

As above, we pinned the track down with drawing pins and marked with a fine sharpie, then cut.

guinnesskid

Postby guinnesskid » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:11 pm

Used double sided sticky tape which I have left in place to help with ballasting
I'm thinking of becoming an alcoholic - It's cheaper than N gauging and not quite as taxing on my brain.

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:54 am

Connect one end to the next piece of track with rail joiners, make sure it's joined properly ie, both rails even, then put the heel of one palm on the two rails that you've just laid (close to the joint), and lean on it. You can then use the other hand to bend it to where you want it to go, working along bit by bit. When it's all laid as you want, cut it.
Pete.

Daci1983

Postby Daci1983 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:18 am

Hi,

Thanks for the tips. I asked the missus if she'd help but she said she'd rather suck eggs ... It can be a lonely hobby ... thankfully!

Thanks again.
Rob

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:23 pm

Another technique you could try is to pin the track lightly in position (or temporarily fix in some other way), then paint the track in your chosen colour and let it dry.
Once it's dry unfix it, and it will retain it's shape, making cutting the rails easier.

However, some suggest that on curves you 'stagger' the cut in the rails by a good few inches so that you end up feeding one rail some way through the sleepers of the next section of track and vica versa. This helps prevent the curve trying to 'spring' out of shape or a 'kink' developing.

Of course, if possible it's best to try and avoid joins on curves, or to have joins on the shallowest part of a curve. When I'm laying flexitrack I try and start from the curves and work outwards so that the sharpest point of a curve is at the centre of a length of flexitrack.

Hope the above helps rather than complicates matters for you :)

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:51 am

If Rob's luck is anything like mine, the paint won't stick when he wants it to. :cry:
Pete.

sishades

Postby sishades » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:07 pm

On my layout it was my intention to construct long sweeping curves and for this purpose I used semi flexible track. This means that when bending the rails it maintains its shape and thus far easier to cut at the required points. I pondered flexi track but anticipated the problem of maintaining a decent curve with only one pair of hands.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

matty198891

Postby matty198891 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:27 am

by a dramel or somart llike then cut it to size and 4 coverd track jpin it down to any thing wheather it be a old wood a pinbord anything and use drill to cut it and leae it there till u need it
soz if hard under stand i am dislexic any part dont get tell will retype hope u understand can respond

matty198891

Postby matty198891 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:17 pm

kk
soz if hard under stand i am dislexic any part dont get tell will retype hope u understand can respond

pmlondon

Postby pmlondon » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:47 pm

I have just tested the rotary tool option and it's simply a walk in the park.

This is a Clarke and incredibly cheap compared to a Dremel especially with all the accessories.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... ower-tools

I have used a diamond blade and the cut is neater than I would ever have imagined.

2017 : Back to the Hobby

matty198891

Postby matty198891 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:59 am

Drammel drill is the answer

Return to “Track/Layout Design”