Design Software

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
andyjt

Design Software

Postby andyjt » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:43 pm

Hi guys,

Quick question about all those design packages out there (AnyRail, SCARM, XtrkCAD etc.) - are there any that allow you to add in the electrics like bus wires, droppers etc. to check if every part of the track will be suitably powered?
I'm sure there is but I've yet to find it by googling like crazy so thought it would be quicker to ask :D

cheers,
Andy
I do N gauge... just in case I forget to mention in any posts

Bufferstop

Re: Design Software

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:40 pm

I haven't used any of them sufficiently to know but I'm sure someone will.
My planning tool of preference is a roll of lining paper, ruler and pencil and draw it all out 305mm to the foot.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:20 am

Neither Anyrail nor XtrackCad have this feature.
Regards
Rob

andyjt

Postby andyjt » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:31 am

Ironduke wrote:Neither Anyrail nor XtrackCad have this feature.

That's disappointing, I would have assumed one of them would have added it as a feature in the last decade
I do N gauge... just in case I forget to mention in any posts

aleopardstail

Postby aleopardstail » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:54 pm

it is a curious omission to say the least, even just the basics like a polarised track feed or reversible one, full and half isolated section etc

aleopardstail

Postby aleopardstail » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:56 pm

andyjt wrote:Hi guys,

Quick question about all those design packages out there (AnyRail, SCARM, XtrkCAD etc.) - are there any that allow you to add in the electrics like bus wires, droppers etc. to check if every part of the track will be suitably powered?
I'm sure there is but I've yet to find it by googling like crazy so thought it would be quicker to ask :D

cheers,
Andy

TBH for Dingleberry I used XTrkCad for the track, then knocked up a schematic in MS Paint I could use to add isolated sections, feeds, sensors etc to.

a proper plan thing that let you route the bus and shorter dropper wires, indeed markout no go areas for point motors and similar, would be very useful

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:16 pm

yeah also simulations that show the effect of throwing points and switches would be useful.
Regards
Rob

centenary

Postby centenary » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:54 pm

Ironduke wrote:Neither Anyrail nor XtrackCad have this feature.

This isnt wholly correct. You can add 'lines' to represent both your track bus and droppers in Anyrail. You can also colour them. Of course there's no current feature specifically for bus wires like Track Libraries but it's easy to represent them. Additionally, unless you're using a scale of at least 1:4, you're not really going to see droppers attached to individual pieces of track.

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:52 pm

centenary wrote:This isnt wholly correct. You can add 'lines' to represent both your track bus and droppers in Anyrail.

Yes you can do this is Xtrkcad too, and I have done it in the past, but they are only representative and they don't work like a real electrical design package should.

I've also tried pasting a plan into a basic electrical design program. At least you get the symbols that way.
Regards
Rob

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:45 am

Scarm has the facility to use layers so you can diagrammatically line in your bus/droppers, etc on the plan and allocate them to an electrical power layer if desired.
I use this for track, buildings, roads/paths, platforms, etc.
Selective selection of layers allows cluttered or less cluttered views of the plan.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

Return to “Track/Layout Design”