Industrial minimum space loop

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Emettman

Re: Industrial minimum space loop

Postby Emettman » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:28 pm

Hymirl wrote:
The main thing is coupling lock, so I run everything anti clockwise and use stock with only the hook fitted on the interior side...

Agreed. I centred the coupling hook at one end of my stock and modified the other to pivot a clear plastic flap, which gives the Hornby coupling a genuine delayed-action effect (can push a wagon to anywhere on a siding and leave it there.)
As a side benefit it also makes the single hook less likely to "bounce" uncoupled by accident.

DSC00944.JPG

DSC00946.JPG

Loco is a Triang "Nellie" style body, with a Bachmann Junior 0-6-0 chassis converted to 0-4-2.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:10 pm

Nellie looks pretty good on that chassis, and I like the disconnected coupling rods. The WCPR used that trick to get their 0-6-0s around a tight radius turn to link to the GWR line for a while.

I have a nellie on its rocket speed only chassis so may try this.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:59 am

Hymirl wrote: I like the disconnected coupling rods. The WCPR used that trick to get their 0-6-0s around a tight radius turn to link to the GWR line for a while.

Also used on the NER and probably elsewhere. Perfectly legitimate for slow speeds and very tight curves.

Here the non-driving wheel is actually smaller. A genuine (?) 0-4-2. The keeper plate has a slot cut in it, bridged over with plasticard, to allow for the marginally lower axle position.

Chris

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:56 pm

Elsewhere like a class of loco on the old Barry Railway. Can't remember the class, but they were converted to 0-4-2's for a while.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:56 pm

Emettman wrote:Also used on the NER and probably elsewhere. Perfectly legitimate for slow speeds and very tight curves.

Here the non-driving wheel is actually smaller. A genuine (?) 0-4-2. The keeper plate has a slot cut in it, bridged over with plasticard, to allow for the marginally lower axle position.

Nice. So where are you finding bachmann junior 0-6-0 chassis as fair price? I'm struggling to find it.

(If I'm buying an imported Thomas its staying Thomas!)

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:08 am

Hymirl wrote:
Emettman wrote:
Nice. So where are you finding bachmann junior 0-6-0 chassis as fair price? I'm struggling to find it.

More a "how". With patience, on eBay, especially keeping an eye on the "spares and repairs" and "non-runner" categories,
(I'm changing the motor and don't need pick ups, anyway.)

Quick look:
This doesn't seem extortionate. The UK "non Thomas" version of Thomas.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Junior-0-6-0-Red-30-900/323364646824?hash=item4b4a08efa8:g:27UAAOSwKjlbVyPD

Also
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Branchline-30-040-Stuart-0-6-0T-Locomotive/323383172878?hash=item4b4b239f0e:g:BLgAAOSwHp5bZ1kD

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BACHMANN-CHINA-MADE-0-6-0-TANK-STUART-49-DCC-FITTED-LOCOMOTIVE-EX-TRAIN-SET/223089976514?hash=item33f132e4c2:g:42EAAOSwlrxbZyzN

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:12 am

Emettman wrote:
Hymirl wrote:
Emettman wrote:

More a "how". With patience, on eBay, especially keeping an eye on the "spares and repairs" and "non-runner" categories,
(I'm changing the motor and don't need pick ups, anyway.)

Quick look:
This doesn't seem extortionate. The UK "non Thomas" version of Thomas.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Junior-0-6-0-Red-30-900/323364646824?hash=item4b4a08efa8:g:27UAAOSwKjlbVyPD

Also
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Branchline-30-040-Stuart-0-6-0T-Locomotive/323383172878?hash=item4b4b239f0e:g:BLgAAOSwHp5bZ1kD

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BACHMANN-CHINA-MADE-0-6-0-TANK-STUART-49-DCC-FITTED-LOCOMOTIVE-EX-TRAIN-SET/223089976514?hash=item33f132e4c2:g:42EAAOSwlrxbZyzN

Also a Bachmann "non-Percy" Percy
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BACHMANN-CHINA-MADE-0-4-0-TANK-GREG-31-DCC-FITTED-LOCOMOTIVE-EX-TRAIN-SET/223089955000?hash=item33f13290b8:g:fyMAAOSwGL1bZyfW

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:38 pm

Non-Percy Percy is a nice model in his own right!
Thanks for the tips I'll see what I can sneak past the missus! I have said I'm going to build more railway before buying more locos...

Board building is progressing I'll see about a construction progress thread as feedback us always good for motivation.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:34 pm

A plain clothes Percy with DCC in Maroon is Gregg, worth looking out for. They came in the DCC starter sets along with a plain clothes Thomas. There was something in the terms of the franchise about the tools not being used to produce other models. I could never understand that as Hornby were allowed to produce Thomas characters for the UK using the tooling from other models.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:57 pm

Bufferstop wrote:A plain clothes Percy with DCC in Maroon is Gregg, worth looking out for. They came in the DCC starter sets along with a plain clothes Thomas.

That's the one. Currently at £22.40 including postage.
The plain clothes Thomas, "Stuart", is also listed.

Chris

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:12 pm

Still alive!

Project is moving on rapidly into construction stage as a fine baseboard of 9mm ply and 3×1 is finally constructed. Admittedly it is somewhat heavier than I hoped but should be extremely solid. And fits in the car potentially although I don't plan to move it much

(Mk1 loop suffered from baseboard warping which has mothballed it for now)

Emettman wrote:That's the one. Currently at £22.40 including postage.
The plain clothes Thomas, "Stuart", is also listed.

Chris

I'm going to maintain resolution not to buy more locos until I can run them! Although I say this after ordering the bachmann hospital train pack... but its so nice and it was on sale!

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:07 pm

Board built, last fiddling about with track plan. Topic shortly to become an 'under construction' thread!!

Welcome to version 2!
The idea is its a branchline terminus to fiddle yard that happens to be wrapped in a circle. The spur in the top left is the fiddle yard entrace (which may just be a single cassette...).

Trains run clockwise around to the station (hornby placeholder platforms!) where passenger operations can run around for a return. Freight can run into the headshunt and drop wagons into the yard behind the engine shed, this headshunt will include small coaling facility.

The long spur leading to the placeholder station buildings will be a gentle incline up to what will be industial sidings. This raised area will link to the overbridge for the station's access. The incline doesn't need to cross tracks so is just high enough for a senic break effect.

The inside line has its own little loco and poses as a semi-independant industrial line... the goods shed will likely be replaced by suitable industrial facilities. The inside line is 1st radius, everything else uses second.

The ability to run in a circle is useful for children operators, running in locos and simply watching the trains when the mood takes me. I'm quite liking this setup now...

Oh, Does anyone have advice on how to wire in tube control old hornby points with the side turny switch? Attach a hook direct to the tie bar perhaps?

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:49 pm

I have done a home made version on my layout but it maybe a bit beyond what some are prepared to make. I enclose a few pictures of the build.

Gem do (Hopefully they still do!) a nice manual point control system. It is worth looking at.
Attachments
IMG_20171109_104129.jpg
IMG_20171111_130040.jpg
IMG_20171109_202942.jpg
IMG_20171118_165446.jpg
IMG_20171118_165426.jpg

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:53 pm

A much simpler method can be made by having a return spring at one end of the point and you can pull on the fishing line and loop it over one of those fancy notice board type drawing pins. That way when you pull the loop at the end of the fishing line off the drawing pin the spring will pull the point back in the other direction.

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:50 pm

Thats pretty clever. And not too complex for the likes of me!

Return to “Track/Layout Design”