Industrial minimum space loop

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
User avatar
Emettman
Posts: 2270
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:43 pm
Location: Cornwall UK
Contact:

Re: Industrial minimum space loop

Postby Emettman » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:28 pm

Hymirl wrote:
The main thing is coupling lock, so I run everything anti clockwise and use stock with only the hook fitted on the interior side...


Agreed. I centred the coupling hook at one end of my stock and modified the other to pivot a clear plastic flap, which gives the Hornby coupling a genuine delayed-action effect (can push a wagon to anywhere on a siding and leave it there.)
As a side benefit it also makes the single hook less likely to "bounce" uncoupled by accident.

DSC00944.JPG


DSC00946.JPG


Loco is a Triang "Nellie" style body, with a Bachmann Junior 0-6-0 chassis converted to 0-4-2.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

User avatar
Hymirl
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:35 pm
Location: UK

Re: Industrial minimum space loop

Postby Hymirl » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:10 pm

Nellie looks pretty good on that chassis, and I like the disconnected coupling rods. The WCPR used that trick to get their 0-6-0s around a tight radius turn to link to the GWR line for a while.

I have a nellie on its rocket speed only chassis so may try this.

User avatar
Emettman
Posts: 2270
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:43 pm
Location: Cornwall UK
Contact:

Re: Industrial minimum space loop

Postby Emettman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:59 am

Hymirl wrote: I like the disconnected coupling rods. The WCPR used that trick to get their 0-6-0s around a tight radius turn to link to the GWR line for a while.

Also used on the NER and probably elsewhere. Perfectly legitimate for slow speeds and very tight curves.

Here the non-driving wheel is actually smaller. A genuine (?) 0-4-2. The keeper plate has a slot cut in it, bridged over with plasticard, to allow for the marginally lower axle position.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

User avatar
Mountain
Posts: 2480
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:43 pm
Location: Somewhere in Wales, UK.

Re: Industrial minimum space loop

Postby Mountain » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:56 pm

Elsewhere like a class of loco on the old Barry Railway. Can't remember the class, but they were converted to 0-4-2's for a while.
See below ↓

User avatar
Hymirl
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:35 pm
Location: UK

Re: Industrial minimum space loop

Postby Hymirl » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:56 pm

Emettman wrote:Also used on the NER and probably elsewhere. Perfectly legitimate for slow speeds and very tight curves.

Here the non-driving wheel is actually smaller. A genuine (?) 0-4-2. The keeper plate has a slot cut in it, bridged over with plasticard, to allow for the marginally lower axle position.


Nice. So where are you finding bachmann junior 0-6-0 chassis as fair price? I'm struggling to find it.

(If I'm buying an imported Thomas its staying Thomas!)

User avatar
Emettman
Posts: 2270
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:43 pm
Location: Cornwall UK
Contact:

Re: Industrial minimum space loop

Postby Emettman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:08 am

Hymirl wrote:
Emettman wrote:
Nice. So where are you finding bachmann junior 0-6-0 chassis as fair price? I'm struggling to find it.

(If I'm buying an imported Thomas its staying Thomas!)


More a "how". With patience, on eBay, especially keeping an eye on the "spares and repairs" and "non-runner" categories,
(I'm changing the motor and don't need pick ups, anyway.)

Quick look:
This doesn't seem extortionate. The UK "non Thomas" version of Thomas.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Junior-0-6-0-Red-30-900/323364646824?hash=item4b4a08efa8:g:27UAAOSwKjlbVyPD

Also
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Branchline-30-040-Stuart-0-6-0T-Locomotive/323383172878?hash=item4b4b239f0e:g:BLgAAOSwHp5bZ1kD

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BACHMANN-CHINA-MADE-0-6-0-TANK-STUART-49-DCC-FITTED-LOCOMOTIVE-EX-TRAIN-SET/223089976514?hash=item33f132e4c2:g:42EAAOSwlrxbZyzN
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

User avatar
Emettman
Posts: 2270
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:43 pm
Location: Cornwall UK
Contact:

Re: Industrial minimum space loop

Postby Emettman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:12 am

Emettman wrote:
Hymirl wrote:
Emettman wrote:
Nice. So where are you finding bachmann junior 0-6-0 chassis as fair price? I'm struggling to find it.

(If I'm buying an imported Thomas its staying Thomas!)


More a "how". With patience, on eBay, especially keeping an eye on the "spares and repairs" and "non-runner" categories,
(I'm changing the motor and don't need pick ups, anyway.)

Quick look:
This doesn't seem extortionate. The UK "non Thomas" version of Thomas.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Junior-0-6-0-Red-30-900/323364646824?hash=item4b4a08efa8:g:27UAAOSwKjlbVyPD

Also
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Branchline-30-040-Stuart-0-6-0T-Locomotive/323383172878?hash=item4b4b239f0e:g:BLgAAOSwHp5bZ1kD

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BACHMANN-CHINA-MADE-0-6-0-TANK-STUART-49-DCC-FITTED-LOCOMOTIVE-EX-TRAIN-SET/223089976514?hash=item33f132e4c2:g:42EAAOSwlrxbZyzN


Also a Bachmann "non-Percy" Percy
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BACHMANN-CHINA-MADE-0-4-0-TANK-GREG-31-DCC-FITTED-LOCOMOTIVE-EX-TRAIN-SET/223089955000?hash=item33f13290b8:g:fyMAAOSwGL1bZyfW
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

User avatar
Hymirl
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:35 pm
Location: UK

Re: Industrial minimum space loop

Postby Hymirl » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:38 pm

Non-Percy Percy is a nice model in his own right!
Thanks for the tips I'll see what I can sneak past the missus! I have said I'm going to build more railway before buying more locos...

Board building is progressing I'll see about a construction progress thread as feedback us always good for motivation.

User avatar
Bufferstop
Posts: 10409
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:06 pm
Location: Bottom end of N. Warks line

Re: Industrial minimum space loop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:34 pm

A plain clothes Percy with DCC in Maroon is Gregg, worth looking out for. They came in the DCC starter sets along with a plain clothes Thomas. There was something in the terms of the franchise about the tools not being used to produce other models. I could never understand that as Hornby were allowed to produce Thomas characters for the UK using the tooling from other models.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

User avatar
Emettman
Posts: 2270
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:43 pm
Location: Cornwall UK
Contact:

Re: Industrial minimum space loop

Postby Emettman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:57 pm

Bufferstop wrote:A plain clothes Percy with DCC in Maroon is Gregg, worth looking out for. They came in the DCC starter sets along with a plain clothes Thomas.


That's the one. Currently at £22.40 including postage.
The plain clothes Thomas, "Stuart", is also listed.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

User avatar
Hymirl
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:35 pm
Location: UK

Re: Industrial minimum space loop

Postby Hymirl » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:12 pm

Still alive!

Project is moving on rapidly into construction stage as a fine baseboard of 9mm ply and 3×1 is finally constructed. Admittedly it is somewhat heavier than I hoped but should be extremely solid. And fits in the car potentially although I don't plan to move it much

(Mk1 loop suffered from baseboard warping which has mothballed it for now)

Emettman wrote:That's the one. Currently at £22.40 including postage.
The plain clothes Thomas, "Stuart", is also listed.

Chris


I'm going to maintain resolution not to buy more locos until I can run them! Although I say this after ordering the bachmann hospital train pack... but its so nice and it was on sale!


Return to “Track/Layout Design”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest