The Grockle Garden Railway

Discussion on OO, and O gauge garden model railway design and construction. (scenery, track laying, electronics)
thomas the plank engine

Re: The Grockle Garden Railway

Postby thomas the plank engine » Tue May 22, 2012 6:31 am

Maintanance, Maintanance, Maintanance, absolutely sick of it. Clear the tools away clean the track and run trains, exactly what happened yesterday after nearly a year. The GGR actually had trains running around. Okay a few teathing problems still where maintanance has not yet been carried out, a few dodgey fishplates needed replaceing, but apart from that and a good track clean everything worked pretty well first time. I have also moved the water cranes and footbridges on the only mainline station, at present, They just didn't look correct where I had originally sited them. Rebuilt the trackwork around the branch line station, never did look right or work properly.

Ian

norfolkcoastmodels

Postby norfolkcoastmodels » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:46 pm

Great layout wish we had the space but the house is up for sale at the moment. Outdoor layouts do require a lot of maintenance alas but they are well worth the effort.

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:31 pm

Taken last year on the GGR

Ian

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:29 am

Nothing has been done on the GGR this year apart from the boring maintenance and a couple of trains have been run but as usual the great british weather has put paid to many a running day with constant drizzle or rain.
My local model club had its open day on Saturday 8 September and I was asked to take along a small display of Thomas & Friends. Not good enough just to have them sitting there so got the running boards out as well and was able to set up a small 4ft x 9ft running area for all to play with. The paying public dictated what was run and they even got to control their set up as well. Some weird and wonderful rakes where done, but they all enjoyed it especially running them, but I did on the odd occassion have to slow them down as a few, mainly the youngsters want to race them around like F1 cars. I was kept that busy changing the stock around and operating the points that I was only able to take a couple of pictures and have posted them here for all to see. Even Underground Ernie made an apperance.

Ian

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:15 am

It is with much regret that I must announce that the GGR has finally lowered its standards and now has some of that 'Southern Muck' amongst its stock. This includes a couple of steam loco's and the necessary horrible green MK1 coachs. :(

Ian

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:55 pm

Just about half of the 'Southern Muck' coaches that is now owned by the GGR. The loco's are just one of each for now and hopefully the foreseable future.

Ian

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:41 am

"Southern Muck" dear me.. such bigotry! I ain't THAT bad!
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:01 pm

Due to the typical British weather during 2012 probably got about 12 hours of running outside on the GGR. However this hasn't stopped me from getting the paints out and i have been busy doing a few projects, mainly Thomas related. A few addition loco's have been refurbushed into Thomas characters along with some coaches as well.

Gordon and James with the respective rake of coaches. These are all Tri-ang Non-Corridor Suburban 9 inch long coaches. They have all had a new paint job and new Bahcmann MK1 bogies fitted. Now run like new. 7 coaches for Gordon in green/white and 4 coaches for James in red/white.

This Spam Can was originally 4-6-2 'Winston Churchill'. As you can see the new wheel configuration is 4-6-4T and nicknamed 'Big Girtha'. This loco made it as far as the drawing board, so a good excuse to model it. Done in Br black.

The Pink train Tri-ang class 31 with yet another rake of 12 Tri-ang 9 inch corridor stock this time. Again all have had a new paint job, matching the loco along with Bachmann MK1 bogies. This rake has a Resterant Car included and one of the three Brake/Comps has been converted to a Full Brake.

Thomas's younger brother Tom with his own rake of caoches. They all have nams as well, from behind Tom they are Ann, Nee, Clare & Bella.

Ian

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:13 pm

Double cabbed class 43

Started out as a Hornby class 25/1 and is now just awaiting numbers and name to be complete. ETHEL1. Need another Hornby class 25/1 body so that I can also do ETHEL3.

Donald and Douglas, again not done by Hornby or Bachmann. They are missing a trick or two. So this is my version of the Scots. I have given them both their respective Br numbers, and left one of them in their original Br black livery.

The A4 finished in post 1928 GWR green, named PAGEND MITH carring the headboard 'Grockle Express'

Ian

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:21 pm

GWR fans are now advised to look away. This is my own interpretation of Hornby's MURDOCK called 'MURDER'. I have used one of Swindon's so called finest loco's, their wording not mine, but thought it appropriate to use this loco. Not for Rivet Counters or Anoraks. YOU HAVE BEEN DULY WARNED

And finally this beast which is as we speek ungoing a repaint.

from the above to the nearly complete below

Any guesses what this loco was originally was before it was given the chop by its previous owner. It suited me fine for this project

Ian

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:03 am

About time I did this for all to see what and how the Grockle garden Railway, GGR, looks like planning wise.

This is the outdoor section of the GGR. Still a lot of work to be done as the left hand side has yet to be constructed along with 16ft long platforms as this is going to be the main station on the GGR. The main run is 30ft long and the shed end is 23ft wide. The straight section on the left is only 9ft long and then its a curved wall all the way up to the far end which is only 42 inches wide. Makes for an interesting build.

The shed where most of the running on the GGR is taking place irrespective of what ever the British weather throws at us outdoor modellers. As you can see only a small station put there just for the heck of it otherwise it would just be all track and pretty boring running wise. The shed is 10ft x 8ft and the layout inside sits at a height of 44 inches high inside the shed, this is due to the freezer being in the shed due to lack of space in the house..

Ian

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:21 pm

Family committtments and other normal hum drum daily issue's seem to have taken up most of this year so far. Having been only able to have one morning only attempting to run trains after the previous two years bad weather has ment that so far this year I have not been able to have a single decent running session at all. The boards and track seem to have stood up well to the lousy weather we have had, and apart from the branchline station needing yet more attention again, all seems to be as it was last time anything ran around the GGR.
A few more loco's have of course found their respective ways to the GGR via various outlets, from Cash Convertors, swap meets, toy fairs, swaps and of course my local model shop.
Diverse liveries seem to be my forte at present and there are a couple in the pipeline. These being a Purple Gronk no 08447 seen at Long Marsden back in 2008. A Merchany Navy class to be done in Br steam Express Blue and an A4 in experimential Purple. All liveries are authentic so I have to do them, just to shut up those Anoraks and River Counters.
Pictures of finished loco's will duly appear once completed.

Ian

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:21 am

thomas the plank engine wrote:
Any guesses what this loco was originally was before it was given the chop by its previous owner. It suited me fine for this project

Ian

Looks like an old Triang M7 tank loco with the cab from a "Polly" 0-4-0 tank welded to it!
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:16 am

Nearly. Its got all its original parts, including the cab. Its just missing the boiler section from the front of the side tanks to the chimney. Its all M7 including the running gear. Rear bogie chnaged from 2 axles to 1 axle so from 0-4-4 to 0-4-2.

Ian

Return to “Garden Railways”