The Grockle Garden Railway

Discussion on OO, and O gauge garden model railway design and construction. (scenery, track laying, electronics)
thomas the plank engine

The Grockle Garden Railway

Postby thomas the plank engine » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:47 am

You may have visitied my web site already, if so nothing new at present but will be updating before the end of the month as work is as we speak being done. Points and a crossover have been laid and photo's taken which will be put on the website in due course. It just remains for the track to be relaid once the new insert of timber has been treated, weather permitting

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:08 am

My website has been updated as of 1 March 2007. Enjoy the extra pictures and please sign the guest book.

thanks

Ian

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Thu May 31, 2007 8:17 am

Sorry for the delay in the latest update lads. This has been due to internet problems. All sorted now and update done. Look enjoy, have a laugh, cry, and as usual comments are always welcome.

Ian

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu May 31, 2007 1:52 pm

Hi Ian

Looks excellent mate. Love the idea of the large loop. I wishI had the space you have. Alas, I have to make do with what I've got, lol. Agree with the sentiment- "00 garden railways rule". Glad I bit the bullet even if it has been a bit of a slog :wink:

Cheers fella

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

tqboz

Postby tqboz » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:56 pm

Hi there,
if ever you would like someone to take some photos of your railway,
i would be up for it.

I have a fairly decent camera with fast macro lens and am local to you.
if you would like pics for your and your website let me know.
No cost or anything just be interested to see the layout.

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:38 pm

Update done 13 Aug 2007. As usual look, enjoy. laugh, or cry I care not which and comments if any are always welcome

Ian

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:13 pm

Hi Ian

Great to see you've made good progress with your construction plans! Beleive me, you'll feel like a ruddy god when you see a train go right round the garden (glitches notwithstanding :roll: ) for the first time!

Good thing is that the more I run mine, the less maintenance I seem to have to do each time I set up for a running session :)

How long do you reckon before you manage to get the last 14' done? Champagne corks at the ready :D

Cheers

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:49 pm

Probably by 2009 the way things are going. Car has just blown its head gasket so must get that fixed first.

Ian

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:29 pm

thomas the plank engine wrote:Probably by 2009 the way things are going. Car has just blown its head gasket so must get that fixed first.

Ian

LOL, don't let it get ya down mate ;) Still keeping the Champagne on ice...well actually, it's Tizer in the fridge: I hate Champagne :lol:

Cheers

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:22 am

Damn the champagne (Tizer) make mine a barrel of Dark Mild (Thwaites do a lovely one) when its finally completed and the first train has run around the garden.

Now got to buy some 4 inch square posted about 10 feet long, get them into the ground upright and then get the necessary supports put in to keep it all on the level. Build a trellis so as to stop the dogs from using the garden as a loo and get a bridge sorted out as well where the gate is going to be, step has already been down for over a year or two so localion of steps is not a problem.. To get the garden in the state it was before I started the build of the GGR I had to remove over 4.5 tonnes of hardcore and over 5 tonnes of topsoil and still not finished yet removing top soil and one final bit has yet to be done at that is by the Green fence where the patio has to be extended by about another 2 feet.

Ian

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:32 pm

Better late than never. An update was done on the GGR website in November 2007. Only a couple of piccies as I've not been to well for a while and am only now just getting back on my feet.

Ian

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:54 pm

Hi Ian

Sorry to hear of your problems mate. glad to hear you are back on yer feet too :)

Have you managed to finish off the circuit yet or has that had to go on hold too mate?

Cheers, good to see you back 'online'

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:50 am

Everything had to be put on hold so at present just getting back into things again. Have managed to get a few bits and bobs stock wise but no track laid or anything done as far as the last 14 feet go to get the continuos circuit done. Just hope that I am able to do it this year, but time will tell.

Jusst keep that Tizer on Ice for the time being

Ian

thomas the plank engine

Re: The Grockle Garden Railway

Postby thomas the plank engine » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:50 am

Sorry lads that I havn't been here for a while but ill health has been a major bug bear for 2008. Nothing has progressed on the GGR at all now for nearly a year and what with the weather as well I think I was lucky if I got about 8 hours total running time in the garden for the whole of 2008. Hopefuuly this year 2009 will be kinder to me and I may even be able to get some more construction work done on the GGR to enable me to possibly start laying track for the completion of the garden circuit(s). Time, money and health all have there part to play in this scenario. We have had a couple of decent days so far this year and it has enable me to have a couple of days worth of running time. About 5 hours each day for three days. The first day was mainly spent sorting out dodgy connections and the like just to get a loco to do a complete circuit with stopping. Once this had been achieved on both circuits then the serious job of trying to run proper trains was started. Minimum rake of 7 coaches is the name of the game up to a maximum of 10 coaches varying from
1. Grockle VSOE Special double headed (2 9F's)
2. 9 rake MK2 blue/grey's behind a western Class52
3. blood and custard 7 rake stopper Britannia hauled
4. brown and cream (GWR) 7 rake stopper behind a Class 35 Hymek (BR Green)
5. 8 rake LNER Teaks with 4472 running at long last
6. 9 rake GWR colletts behind King Class loco.
7. 7 rake LMS stock behind Princess class loco

Two short freights
8. one behind GWR class 5400 loco
9. the other behind BR black Pannier tank

and finally 2 branch line 3 rake sets,
10. one LMS behind red LMS Jinty
11. the other GWR behind GWR pannier tank.

That lot was run over a two day period prior to the rain starting again.

There are still the four HST sets yets to be run plus a couple of project locos still awaiting completion from last year

Ian

sheep21

Re: The Grockle Garden Railway

Postby sheep21 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:11 am

too 2009! Glad your over your ill health and back with us :)

Return to “Garden Railways”