Jules's garden railway update

Discussion on OO, and O gauge garden model railway design and construction. (scenery, track laying, electronics)
Metadyneman

Jules's garden railway update

Postby Metadyneman » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:17 am

The Bambrough garden line is still going strong and is now in its 18th year of existence. I have spent a lot of time working on it in the last three months (can't think why??!) and have replaced quite a few lengths of worn out track and some rotten woodwork holding it all up. I have also had a go at ballasting some of the track having resisted the temptation to do it for the last 18 years or so. My thinking is if the track I am replacing now has lasted 18 years, then hopefully the replacement track will last just as long so why not ballast it. So far, so good.
Here is a picture of Bachmann's latest DMU issue, the class 117, trundling towards the camera on the newly ballasted section of track and another picture of Dapol's Class 121 on the branch line station at Brinkfield. The 117 has been fitted with passengers and drivers which is dead easy to do as the bodies on this new unit are very easy to remove. It is currently running on a cheapo laisdcc decoder which is due to be exchanged for an ESU one when it arrives from Germany (I don't like Zimo decoders which Bachmann have gone for with their plux 22 interface decoders)
117 DMU.jpeg
Class 117 DMU on a service to Oxford
Attachments
121 greeenford bubble.jpg
Class 121 at Brinkfield on a service to...Greenford?? ;-)
A bargain is something you really don't need at a price that's completely irresistible!!

Buggleskelly

Re: Jules's garden railway update

Postby Buggleskelly » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:52 am

Lovely images, thanks for posting.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:28 pm

Metadyneman wrote:...My thinking is if the track I am replacing now has lasted 18 years, then hopefully the replacement track will last just as long so why not ballast it.

Ees good, ees look like real theeng (just yank out that tension lock!). Out of curiosity, how have you secured the ballast?

Metadyneman wrote:...The 117 has been fitted with passengers and drivers which is dead easy to do as the bodies on this new unit are very easy to remove...

Well there's (welcome) progress over their previous 'three hands and considerable luck required not to dislodge at least one small piece of underside detail' when getting a DMU body off. (Snot all bad news mind, large price reductions on s/h class 105s have come my way due to a handful of dislodged underside detail parts - which are easy enough to cement back in place.)

Metadyneman wrote:...I don't like Zimo decoders ...

Again, just curious, whyever not? Not required on most current RTR products, because the drive lines are sweet running enough not to need extensive cudgelling to produce refined operation: which Zimo's decoder's ample CV selection supplies. But I have never yet found anything to dislike about Zimo's decoders. Even less so now there are budget price options, rivalling that of my established faviourite Lenz Standard.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:30 pm

Bigmet wrote:Ees good, ees look like real theeng (just yank out that tension lock!). Out of curiosity, how have you secured the ballast?

I've only had the unit a couple of days so the coupling has yet to be replaced. I have another 117 on order ( the NSE version) and will need a functional coupling at one end (probably a short Kadee)
The ballast is secured with diluted builders PVA bond and so far it has withstood rain. (frost and ice will be interesting!)I have only done a 3 yard section and no more will be ballasted now for at least a year to see how this stretch fares. If it doesn't work I've only wasted 6 yards of flexi track and can relay that easily.
As far as Zimo decoders are concerned, I guess I am being a bit unfair as I have only had experience if the sound version fitted to the new Class 159 and I really don't like having to press a separate button (f2) to stop the train. I have since discovered a way to disable the brake button so might fit a Zimo to the 117 I have on order. Suffice to say, ANYTHING is better than the cheapo Laisdcc one fitted to the 117 at the moment. It has been withdrawn from service until it can be fitted with a "grown up" decoder! :lol:
As for the body being easy to remove, The principle is the same as previous Bachmann DMUs but they seem to have at last mastered the knack of making a body which releases its grip from the chassis far better than its predecessors. I think it stems from the fact that the body has no electrical connections and comes off as a shell with no lighting pcbs or electrical contacts attached . All the electrics including the lighting are attached to the chassis via the seat mouldings in the same way as the class 101.
The biggest let down with the 117 is the 14 (I think) pin inter car connections which I fear will be its Achilles heel with anyone who is rough handed or plain clumsy. The unit has two motors similar to that fitted to the new 158/159 (and incidentally the LU S Stock!) and all the coaches are surprisingly light. If the connecting couplings get damaged then it will effectively put the whole unit out of action as I can't see it pulling three coaches with one small motor and very little weight!
A bargain is something you really don't need at a price that's completely irresistible!!

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:53 pm

Very atmospheric. I could just imagine jumping on that train.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:37 am

Metadyneman wrote:...As far as Zimo decoders are concerned, I guess I am being a bit unfair as I have only had experience of the sound version fitted to the new Class 159 and I really don't like having to press a separate button (f2) to stop the train. I have since discovered a way to disable the brake button so might fit a Zimo to the 117 I have on order...
The only downside of Zimo is that they are so heavily featured with CV options that the manual is like a book, and it takes a while to find out what you want to know. But the upside is that all those CV options do enable their decoders to obtain very good performance from less than stellar mechanisms. I use them on the 'rough stuff' to make it perform; the marginally cheaper Lenz Standard is all that sweet running mechanisms require. (Save every penny possible!)

Metadyneman wrote:...As for the body being easy to remove, The principle is the same as previous Bachmann DMUs but they seem to have at last mastered the knack of making a body which releases its grip from the chassis far better than its predecessors. I think it stems from the fact that the body has no electrical connections and comes off as a shell with no lighting pcbs or electrical contacts attached . All the electrics including the lighting are attached to the chassis via the seat mouldings in the same way as the class 101.
The biggest let down with the 117 is the 14 (I think) pin inter car connections which I fear will be its Achilles heel with anyone who is rough handed or plain clumsy. The unit has two motors similar to that fitted to the new 158/159 (and incidentally the LU S Stock!) and all the coaches are surprisingly light. If the connecting couplings get damaged then it will effectively put the whole unit out of action as I can't see it pulling three coaches with one small motor and very little weight!

Thanks for posting all this information. So Bachmann really have made some progress since the pilot scheme MU's in some respects, but have also backed away from some of the good stuff on these, like the chunky motor unit able to pull about a dozen mk1s. I would have welcomed a plug in electrical connector between vehicles: but only if they came with a close coupling mechanism, still feel that not including that is the major weakness on my class 105s.

On a side note I have been steadily demotoring my class 105s as they run in semi-permanent sets. One motor unit will run an eight car set perfectly thanks to the very free running split axle pick up system. One sacrificial 'breaker for spares' set bought very cheap damaged (think it must have fallen off a layout!) has donated all its free running unmotored bogies to replace the motor units in three 105s now. Really impessively, with Kadee couplings you can propel the 3 unmotored sets with the powered set power bogie car at the rear and it is completely stable at a scale 70mph.

Lachute

Postby Lachute » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:32 am

Image Image

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:06 pm

Bigmet wrote:So Bachmann really have made some progress since the pilot scheme MU's in some respects, but have also backed away from some of the good stuff on these, like the chunky motor unit able to pull about a dozen mk1s. I would have welcomed a plug in electrical connector between vehicles: but only if they came with a close coupling mechanism, still feel that not including that is the major weakness on my class 105s.

The 117 is certainly a very good progression in terms of not having any motors that impinge on the interior space of the unit. It leaves the luggage/guards van free for the Plux22 socket which sits where the motor would have done if it had been made like previous Bachmann DMUs. The lack of weight doesn't seem to have any adverse effect on the running of the unit. The 14 pin couplings are much closer than the "loop" couplings on the 108/105 & Derby Lightweights and the electrically conducting couplings (try saying that fast after a few beers) on the 101. They are just a bit more awkward to line up and plug in and even more awkward to uncouple. I can foresee problems where someone has a layout where trains are not stored on the layout and have to be uncoupled & coupled each time they are run. Other than that, the 117 is a lovely unit and I've just placed an order for a NSE one as well now!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:34 pm

I appreciate the further update: that Bachmann are making progress on their OO product, suggests that they believe there is still a profitable market here. (Of what they have announced, it is the V2 for me: icing on the cake would be a release of their current Thompson coaches in BR maroon.)

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:25 am

Metadyneman wrote:
Bigmet wrote:Ees good, ees look like real theeng (just yank out that tension lock!). Out of curiosity, how have you secured the ballast?

As far as Zimo decoders are concerned, I guess I am being a bit unfair as I have only had experience if the sound version fitted to the new Class 159 and I really don't like having to press a separate button (f2) to stop the train. I have since discovered a way to disable the brake button so might fit a Zimo to the 117 I have on order.

Hi,
In case it helps you or others. You can put 0 into CV's 309 and 349 to disable the braking, or just put a lower value in CV 4 and ignore the F2 key
Pete.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:03 pm

Just as an update, I have since purchased another class 117 and put a Zimo decoder in it. I have successfully configured the Zimo decoder to run in tandem with the previously purchased ESU one so Zimo decoders are back on my "OK to use" list :)

mireya

Postby mireya » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:00 pm

Just awesome work! I loved the details of the rocks on the rail track. Looks like you have spent very long time making them.

Return to “Garden Railways”