garden DC or DCC

Discussion on OO, and O gauge garden model railway design and construction. (scenery, track laying, electronics)
b308

Re: garden DC or DCC

Postby b308 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:45 pm

End2end wrote:
Tom@Crewe wrote:Or Radio Controlled

This was my first thought but is this even possible in 00 gauge?
Thanks
End2end

Yes. Some people do it in 009 so it'd be a doddle in standard gauge.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:34 pm

Radio control. Deltang springs to mind.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:16 am

Mountain wrote:I wouldn't use DCC in the garden. I would want to run trains in all weathers and damp DCC decoders are not a good plan.

DCC decoders are completely unaffected by damp in my experience to date. Radio control will require identical construction small electronics assemblies in the locos. Both systems preferable to DC.

The major problem with OO outdoors using RTR is water and dirt ingress on the mechanisms, although grease lubricated centre motor twin bogie types stand up well with minimal care after operation. Steam mechanisms require more care, all the lubricant lost from outside rods after one run round outdoors in light drizzle for a start, because there was little there to begin with. I ran diesel models almost exclusively in poor weather.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:28 am

I concur with Bigmet. I have had an outdoor railway now for 18 years.. 10 of which have been using DCC. The outdoor atmosphere has had precisely zero effect on all decoders fitted to my locos, some of which are also sound fitted. I have to say that "digitalising" my outdoor layout was the best thing I ever did to it (apart from building it in the first place) and I would highly recommend it
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:57 pm

Just thought I'd add, originally planning on a normal DC controller in the garden shed, since seeing Hornby's advert for their new app controlled dc system, I'm thinking this would be a better way to go. Allowing me to sit back and relax in the garden and control the locos and points from wherever I choose to be.

Return to “Garden Railways”