00 Garden Railway

Discussion on OO, and O gauge garden model railway design and construction. (scenery, track laying, electronics)
TheTrainModeller

00 Garden Railway

Postby TheTrainModeller » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:47 am

Hi all,
I was wondering if any of you had information regarding 00 garden railways? I would like to know if it is possible. Answers would be appreciated.

Thanks
This is my website. You can go to it for more information.
http://www.allenjiang00modeltrains.weebly.com

Bigmet

Re: 00 Garden Railway

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:54 am

It is completely possible, but rather different to being indoors.

First great asset now available since I was outdoors with my OO : DCC control. The constant higher voltage AC track supply, no need for wiring any isolated sections, and ready availability of a cordless full controller (at a price) all way superior to DC. (There are yet other options, but this is what is readly commercially available.) The mains unit can be safely undercover in the house or an outbuilding, while the control handset wanders around with you.

Use Peco streamline and lay large curve radii (think in yards of radius) and gentle gradients, install as few points as possible. Peco specifically make the plastic track base to tolerate UV exposure without embrittling under UK conditions.

Wire to every length of track, don't rely on rail joiners. These start failing between three and five years, the action of frost in particular splitting them. This is one of the big differences from indoors; you have to plan on maintenance to overcome environmental degradation.

Structure. Some people will install literally tons of concrete and brick to support a load of a couple of kilos. Fine if you like the idea, but this is laborious, and will take some demolition by the next property owner. A simple assembly of posts and t shaped beams in timber can be erected in a weekend, and is both easily altered and removed, and you can have a bonfire with any of the timber beyond salvage for re-use.

Traction tyres don't work. Pick up dirt fast in the dry, don't grip in the wet. Heavy locos are what you need, then you can pull realisitic size trains.

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:09 am

There is another forum dedicated to the OO gauge garden railway. Not sure if I'm allowed to advertise it on here so if you want the address drop mea PM
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:23 am

COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

TheTrainModeller

Postby TheTrainModeller » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:55 am

Hi I have set up my deck railway now but I can't upload files. But I have a video of it on youtube.
This is my website. You can go to it for more information.
http://www.allenjiang00modeltrains.weebly.com

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:58 am

Blimey you didn't hang about!
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:20 am

this should be moved to the garden railway section me thinks.

MODERATORS

Ian

Return to “Garden Railways”