SMP Pointwork and track.

Discussion on OO, and O gauge garden model railway design and construction. (scenery, track laying, electronics)
nx4737

SMP Pointwork and track.

Postby nx4737 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:31 pm

Hi all, I have very little room inside to build a layout, so I'm thinking of venturing outside, quick question regarding track work, I've seen a few of you use SMP track, which looks excellent, however, I noticed it's nickel silver so it should be okay, but would you really recommend using it outside, or should I stick to Peco flexi-track?

Also, how difficult are the points to assemble, I notice they come in kit form...

Adam :)

Infrontcat

Re: SMP Pointwork and track.

Postby Infrontcat » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:14 am

To be honest it's all dependant on how fussed you are over accuracy. For my layout, I just used PECO Streamline points because they have generous radii to work with, you can swap them around easily if you have a change of heart in your plan plus, of course, you don't have to worry so much about making trackwork which, even if you have a smallish garden railway, will be a drain on valable time, especially as you'l have plenty of space (one assumes) to create a complex junction out of proprietory pieces. And the rest was plain old PECO Streamline flexi-track, which I think most '00' garden modellers on here used too. Obviously if you want mega-accuracy, go the SMP route. But to be honest, difference on my layout visually would be minimal really for the extra time and effort involved! :)

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:33 am

I'm a bit out of touch with OO but isn't SMP sold as "scale" track? I'd have thought that for outdoor use something more robust may be better?

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:18 pm

I wouldn't bank on longevity with the plastic SMP use. Peco's founder tested their streamline system to make sure it was good outdoors, specifically that the sleepers don't go brittle under UV.

faulcon1

Postby faulcon1 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:33 am

nx4737 wrote:Hi all, I have very little room inside to build a layout, so I'm thinking of venturing outside, quick question regarding track work, I've seen a few of you use SMP track, which looks excellent, however, I noticed it's nickel silver so it should be okay, but would you really recommend using it outside, or should I stick to Peco flexi-track?

Also, how difficult are the points to assemble, I notice they come in kit form...

Adam :)

I've always been so amused by people who wish to assemble point and track work for an outdoor railway. I would recommend that anyone contemplating an outdoor line should go for the most robust track system in the gauge they've chosen. In 00 that's the Peco set track (just for straights) and the code 100 streamline range. If outside you have a smaller length of run than inside then why go outside in the first place. Outside your usually only bound by the boundary fences on your parcel of land and how much the domestic authorities will allow you to build. ALWAYS remember that you have to deal with the weather which can be kind but does not take scale or gauge into account when doing it's worst. Whatever materials you use to construct your line always buy the best you can afford and BUILD SOLIDLY. After all we don't live in flimsy houses that blow down in a slight breeze or sag under a shower of rain and the same for your garden railway. Some say I want my railway to look realistic, well in the case build inside. Viewing distances on a garden railway can be 20 feet away and if you have a long line of mineral wagons you never going to notice that they all have the same number. I want everything to be in scale, well demolish the house, garden shed and anything that is built to 12"/1ft scale. If you want your trains to be in scale with everything else then you will have to by full size trains.

Roy.

Return to “Garden Railways”