The Bambrough Garden Railway

Discussion on OO, and O gauge garden model railway design and construction. (scenery, track laying, electronics)
Metadyneman

The Bambrough Garden Railway

Postby Metadyneman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:45 pm

Well It's been a while since I posted any updates regarding my Garden Railway which is now in it's 9th year of existence but I have now purchased a new video camera. Anyone familiar with my railway will know I have been putting films on YouTube for years now but the three I have linked below are all filmed with my new camera in High Definition.

Feel free to have a look at the three latest Videos

Here,

Here,

and Here!

Enjoy!
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

siquelme

Re: The Bambrough Garden Railway

Postby siquelme » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:56 pm

Some nice looking locomotives thier

How come you Hogwarts Express doesnt have a headboard...i didnt reconigse it at first without it
Great Western Modeller for my sins
My Blog http://brookescastle.blogspot.com/

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:53 pm

I removed the headboard from the loco for normal running. It is easy to put back on as it just plugs into two small holes above the smokebox door.
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:21 pm

Spending too many hours on You tube looking at all the vids that you have posted.
Great :D

Ian

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:03 pm

thomas the plank engine wrote:Spending too many hours on You tube looking at all the vids that you have posted.
Great :D

Ian

Don't worry Ian.. I've spent way too many hours filming it too! :wink:

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:47 am

UPDATE APRIL 2011

The new branch line construction is nearing completion. After two or three years of deliberation I have finally taken the plunge and built a new extension to my now well established garden railway. I'll be putting some film (stills) of the construction of the track base which were constructed once again with the help of my very good friend Chris Bambrough who is "good with wood!" but for now here are a few pics of progress so far. The new line is called the Brinkfield branch and is a single track line with a small terminus at the end called Brinkfield.

1. Overall view of the new station. I am using the Dapol (Ex Airfix) trackside kits for the majority of the station area. They are a bit of a trip down memory lane for me and I love the essentially British Railway look about them. They are easiy to build & paint and previous experience with them outdoors has proved very successful requiring only the odd touch up with the paint brush after a couple of years or so.

2. A view taken at dusk of the new station area. As you can see there is still a lot to do. Station lighting, canopies, people etc. I am also constructing a pub to put in front of the station (every layout needs a pub!)

3) A view looking towards the new station with the existing line running below on the left. The new line has been "toned down" since this picture was taken by using creosote on the sidewalls.

4) The point where the branch line diverges away from the main line.The picture was taken before the addition of the sidewalls It is connected to the main line via a spur connecting to one of the platforms. Trains cannot run directly on to the branch line without reversing in the station creating a realistic operational feature and making the branch line completely self contained.

5) Class 25 slows past the fixed distant signal ahead of the buffer stops at Brinkfield

So there you have it! The first major construction on the Bambrough line since it was built. It is still a work in progress so I will post another update when more work has taken place.

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:55 pm

:mrgreen:

Ian

tuxychuff

Postby tuxychuff » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:10 pm

-re-write-

Is the track ever going to be ballasted ?
If not, is there some technical reason why not that i've overlooked?
Last edited by tuxychuff on Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:25 pm

tuxychuff wrote:
Metadyneman wrote:Image

Ballast?

.. and ballast to you too! :?

Not sure of the nature of your question really so perhaps you might like to look at the good things about the line and ask a question in a more constructive way

Thank you

Jules

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:59 pm

The branchline is looking smashing! Excellent stuff you have going there. I always enjoy your videos as well, further excellent excellence!
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:44 pm

Thanks Peter. I'm working on a new video at the moment, it will illustrate the construction of the branch line. Hope to get the video uploaded by the end of this week unless it's warm & sunny, in which case I will be in the garden running trains! :lol:

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue May 10, 2011 7:35 pm

tuxychuff wrote:-re-write-

Is the track ever going to be ballasted ?
If not, is there some technical reason why not that i've overlooked?

1) No
2) No technical reason other than ballasting outdoors is not really practical in my view. I'm happy with the track unballasted and it is far easier to keep the track clean and replace sections of it when needed without carving up ballast.

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Wed May 11, 2011 6:21 am

Did try a small section ballasted on the Grockle Garden Railway but the cats used it as a litter tray so its been removed for good.

Ian

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Wed May 11, 2011 12:05 pm

I have tried ballasting outdoors in the past too. I used real granite chips and waterproof pva glue in a diluted mix. I found that the PVA glue eventually biodegraded and with it went the sleepers too.. it all olooked horrible within months so I've never bothered again. I have also tried foam ballast but this holds the damp in when it rains then dries out and turns to powder within months.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:58 pm

New video produced last week featuring Southern Electric EMUs winding their way round the garden including the new Bachmann 2-EPB unit and more.

New vid can be seen HERE

Enjoy

Return to “Garden Railways”