What to do when you move house?

Discussion on OO, and O gauge garden model railway design and construction. (scenery, track laying, electronics)
Giraffe

What to do when you move house?

Postby Giraffe » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:38 am

Looking longer term, I believe there is a slim possibility that SWMBO might possibly begin to accept the proposition that she could be persuaded to think about allowing a garden railway for <strike>me</strike> our sons.

We will be returning to the UK and our house in Spring 2012, and are thinking probably stay there for the next 5 years or so, at which point we'll be looking to move to somewhere bigger. Now that leaves the question if we make a make a garden railway in this place, what's the exit strategy in terms of selling the house. Clearly, not everyone is into model railways (the fools), so what is the conventional way of dealing with this?

How long (ballpark) does it take to take up a garden railway? I can imagine a scenario of leaving the railway down whilst people are viewing the house, making it clear that we will take it up unless a buyer would like to add it in to the negotiations... but if they decline - it would involve a fair amount of physical work to take it up at a point in time where really we could be doing without it...

I'm thinking the sort of GR that is embedded in the ground a la Heatherburn (for example), rather than wooden boards attached to the fence. However, the more I think about it I can see that starting off with a boards on fence might be better to simplify that aspect whilst I'm learning how to deal with electrics outside...

The other thought is: our oldest will only be 4.5 in summer 2012, so we might do better waiting 5 or so years anyway? (Okay, okay, this isn't really for my sons, I admit it, okay?)

Any thoughts from those at the opposite end of a Garden Railway Project would be highly appreciated. I'm sure there are others out there that are in a similar quandary to me.

[Edit: Just to clarify, I have read this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28687 but I am not talking about something temporary, I want something permanent but I'll need to present a plan of what to do when we come to sell our house in the future.]

Essex2Visuvesi

Re: What to do when you move house?

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:22 am

Im planning on a semi permanent Garden Railway, laid on railway sleepers in sections, so it can be lifted in the Autumn as I dont think the track would survive the Finnish winter
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:21 pm

Hi mate

Well, feel free to have a butchers at mine if you like(the link below). Mine is clamped to the fence rather than actually fixed to it and has supporting legs. The layout took about a year from strat to completion of the running linesd, though I didn't work on it constantly or anything, and the electrics, construction and track plan can be made much simpler if you want to keep the project easier to compete :)

Cheers fella

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

jcuknz

Postby jcuknz » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:15 am

I would suggest that it makes sense to treat the new layout as a giant 'set track' layout but with perhaps six foot modules rather than 750mm or whatever set-track comes as. Maybe even longer, say ten foot [3metres] five ply by maybe two foot. Reinforced with 100x50 timber under the track, or one track so you can cut in towards the track to permit closer garden growth. I have found 10ftx4ftx 16mm ply though as to if it comes preserved, preferably H4 standard I don't know. With a twofoot width one can get quite a nice 'S' curve effect and follow the N Gauge module practice of having short pieces of track at the joins between modules. Nguage is 100mm I think with rail connectors that slide to connect each rail rather than the problems of accurate joining with butt rail joins in small gauges. I have had G gauge jumping 20mm when a couple of lengths didn't quite measure up :-) But smaller gauges are not so tolerant.
Maybe your need would be a meld of the garden level and fence type railway with short supports under the modules but low enough to permit growth to come up and look as if level with the track etc.
My garden railway is on concrete walls about 200mm above surrounds so will need a jack-hammer to shift :-) if I get around to laying track before I depart in 10<20 years time for good :-)

Return to “Garden Railways”