Could anyone help me with some info please!!

Discussion on OO, and O gauge garden model railway design and construction. (scenery, track laying, electronics)
wilko

Could anyone help me with some info please!!

Postby wilko » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:27 pm

Hi all,

First post on here so hello to you all!

I'm after a bit of help and guidance really in building a model railway in the garden this year. I'm currently doing all the layout planning whilst we have all the bad weather and looking to make a start in the spring. Now, Other than having hornby trainsets as a child I have never really had much experience with this hobby and after trawling around the internet I've answered a fair few questions but if anyone could help me with the following I would really appreciate it.

Firstly - In terms of the track - I'm looking at using "oo" gauge. Should I be using DC or DCC? I don't fully understand what the differences are? In terms of laying the track I've heard some people solder each piece with a wire to connect and some others seem not to put several power points onto the track at equal distances. These are main concerns in terms of the track!

I think I'm pretty much ok with most other aspects but I would really like to find a website or a book that is detailed in terms of construction and techniques etc. If anyone could recommend anything for me that would be great. Once I get started I promise to post up some pics from scratch up to the finshed result and see if I can help out some other total beginners!!!

Many thanks

Wilko

Sprintex

Re: Could anyone help me with some info please!!

Postby Sprintex » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:25 pm

RosedaleIronstoneRailway wrote:train crash...

That's helpful :roll:

DC or analogue is probably the same as your old Hornby train set - connect up the track to the controller, turn the rotary knob and the loco goes faster the more power you give it. There is no way to have more than one train moving without multiple controllers with seperate, sometimes switchable, power feeds for each and isolating sections built into your layout.

DCC or digital is totally different. Power is supplied to the whole layout at all times by one controller. All locos have digital decoders fitted inside each given their own number. You select a particular loco on the controller, and control its speed by a knob or buttons. You can then leave this moving and select another loco and control that instead, the first one will keep moving until you tell it otherwise or it crashes into something :lol:

Hope that helps. As for books there's a whole plethora of them out there and everyone will probably recommend a different one, however as a starting guide I can say "Model Railways" by Cyril Freezer is a good place to start :wink:

Paul

Andy316

Postby Andy316 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:20 pm

Hi,

I'd go with DCC a the whole track has 16volts on all the time.
With DC the voltage reduces as you slow the train down.
DON"T get a Bachman Dynamis Infra-red controller though, they don't work in sunlight :cry:

I'm looking at changing to a Gaugemaster wireless in the future. I like the idea of being able to move anywhere in the garden and have control.

For the track, make sure the rails are nickle-silver not just steel as they'll just get rusty.
The idea is to solder a short wire to the end of each rail, when you lay the track, twist the two ends of wire together & solder.
You can't rely on reguler rail joiners.

Also, you need lots of "droppers", wires from the rails to thicker power cables run alongsode the track.

These are well worth the money, and explain it better than me.

&

Hope this helps,
Andy
Hey, it's my railway, I'll run what I want.

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:31 am

DC or DCC is purely a personnal preference. Will be sticking to DC on the GGR and using other means (dimmer switches) to slow the trains down at stations and the like. Will make for interesting operating as at least 2 bodies will be required to operate at any time.
Have a look through all the other garden railways on here and then any others that you can find. A lot of the ideas used in the larger scales can also be put to good use in 00 gauge.

Ian

wilko

Postby wilko » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:28 pm

Thank you all very much for those replies - I think DCC is the way to go for me - especially as been looking into that a little more and realise all the other fun stuff that comes with it such as sounds and lights etc!

I'll make a start and get hold of those books and get reading up- never done soldering in my life so may need some practice first!!

Thanks

Wilko

Beep55

Postby Beep55 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:18 pm

If I were in the garden DCC Would defiantly be for me. For me I have found DCC to favour my type of layout, I would if I did go out in the garden want a mobile controller rather than a fixed terminal, as I do enjoy going round and putting my eye next to the track level when watching trains go by. If only had a heap of cash to spare... like that person who won that £26.1M on the euro lottery, I would get my own place and have a massive garden railway! hehe... one can dream................................................................................

but neways, get DCC for your garden, individual control for lococs on the same/ all tracks, just don't crash them into each other and remember to adjust your points after making movements on your mainline.... otherwise you may end up with a mini disaster.

Return to “Garden Railways”