The Blue Line OO Garden Rail

Discussion on OO, and O gauge garden model railway design and construction. (scenery, track laying, electronics)
paulsrail

The Blue Line OO Garden Rail

Postby paulsrail » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:58 pm

The Blue Line is being constructed as a result of having a load of timber left over from a loft conversion. The first stage will consist of a double loop of approx 30 metres Image The method of construction was determined by the shear volume of timber available Image
Last edited by paulsrail on Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

glegalee

Re: The Blue Line OO Garden Rail

Postby glegalee » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:22 pm

Sweet.
Visit my layout CHOLMONDELEY PARK
ImageImageImage

Andy316

Postby Andy316 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:51 pm

Nice,
have you got any roofing felt and/or oo track left over from loft conversion as well?
:D

paulsrail

Postby paulsrail » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:58 pm

Two bridges will be conrtructed to allow access to the garden from the kitchen and consevatory [Image [Image The timber was painted with bitumen felt adhesive then covered roofing felt
Paul

paulsrail

Postby paulsrail » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:58 pm

Here are some more pics showing the timber painted with bitumen adhesive Image[[/img] [[/img]Image As you can see some of the timber was 8" x 3" the rest 6" x 2.5" or 4" x 2.5.
Paul

rb277170

Postby rb277170 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:56 pm

Really smart Paul. Please keep us up to date with your building of the garden railway. have often thought about it, so I would be very interested in hearing of your experiences

Russell

paulsrail

Postby paulsrail » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:49 pm

The next syage was to cover the Bitumen treated timber with roofing felt. The two bridge sections were covered on both top and bottom because when not in use they wil be left folded back in the open position. [[/img]Image When all the felt had been nailed on,the next step was to edge the trackbed using feather edge boarding which i purchased from Wickes in Imagepacks of 10, [[/img] [Image[/img] [[/imImageg]
Paul

Andy316

Postby Andy316 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:19 pm

That looks very nice....

Have you done all this work recently or are you drip feeding old photos?

paulsrail

Postby paulsrail » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:36 pm

All the work has been done in the last few weeks. Progress was quite rapid because all the timber was all-ready in place, and i have a well equiped workshop as a result of my other hobby which is building wooden Nelson era ship models. There is a layout in the workshop which links to the garden layout via a tunnel in the wall. Progress will slow abit now as i have to buy the track.
Paul

paulsrail

Postby paulsrail » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:52 pm

A hole was made in my workshop wall to enable a tunnel to be constructed to link the layout there with the garden layout.
[[/img]Image
An incline from the garden railway to the tunnel exit was constructed.
[[/img]Image
[[/img]Image
Paul

paulsrail

Postby paulsrail » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:10 pm

The garden railway is called the blue line because i wanted the layout to be a Railway in a garden, not bits of garden in a railway layout. In other words i wanted the Railway to blend in as much as possible, so to this end a lot of it was painted blue.
[[/img]Image
Other parts of the layout will be painted brown.
[[/img]Image
There is no track laid yet the rolling stock was iust laid on odd bits of track for the photographs
Paul

glegalee

Postby glegalee » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:10 am

So simple to build and yet such an achievement. Superbe layout, if I had the room I would be inspired. Just a question, how do you keep the track clean? It would seem to me that you would be out cleaning it all the time? Never the less, loving it!
Visit my layout CHOLMONDELEY PARK
ImageImageImage

paulsrail

Postby paulsrail » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:43 pm

I don,t know yet how the track will react to the welsh weather, but even indoors when using dcc the track needs regular cleaning. I will purchase the track which is guage-master flexi, being cheaper than peco, a few lengths at a time.
Paul

sishades

Postby sishades » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:14 pm

Would a few holes be a good idea to let rain water drain away?
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

paulsrail

Postby paulsrail » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:36 pm

I have thougt of drilling holes in the feather edge boards which are treated, as opposed to drilling straight down into the softwood which could cause problems in the long term.
Paul

Return to “Garden Railways”