The Heatherburn Garden Railway (00)

Discussion on OO, and O gauge garden model railway design and construction. (scenery, track laying, electronics)
87 101

Re: The Heatherburn Garden Railway (00)

Postby 87 101 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:29 am

Thats mint best laugh I've had in ages! :lol:

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:28 pm

Agreed.

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:04 pm

Ever feel like giving up! Took a few piccy's of the garden railway and it's not good.

The plan of attack is to transplant all the shrubs that I want to keep to the front garden then weedkiller the whole blooming lot! Once done the new pond will be sunk in place and the area landscaped including the new waterfalls under the viaducts. I hope to have it all done over the winter ready for planting next spring.

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:44 pm

Made a start on clearing the railway with the removal of railway enemy no 1 the big hebe bush! This constantly grows over the line and then drops bits over the track. It has been relocated to the front garden so I just hope it suvives the move ok. With it gone the garden looks a lot bigger....

The bridge could do with a bit of TLC! This was my first attempt at a concrete bridge and is still standing after nearly 3 years. The plan is to cover it with wills brick sheet and then pour in some resin....

Im thinking of building a wall next to the railway so that the rear bed can be raised and hopfully keep the plants away from the track.

Elsparrow

Postby Elsparrow » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:18 pm

Hmm think that's gonna need more than a bottle of Weedol.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:56 am

87 101 wrote:Im thinking of building a wall next to the railway so that the rear bed can be raised and hopfully keep the plants away from the track.

I'd say that sounds like a very good idea mate. It should certainly make life a little easier. A two to three-brick job should do it :)
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:14 am

Supose this is the biggest down fall to garden railways, loft dust is far easier, but not as nice in the summer.

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:23 am

Dav Dav Dav whatever happened. Looks like you haven't run anything outside this year at all. Mind you the weather at times has put a stop to that anyway.

Ian

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:51 pm

This afternoon work continued on clearing the undergrowth from the garden railway. With the trackbed now clear I decided to put a train on the main line so that I could use it as a visual aid.

With the area around the viaduct now clear it was time to dig a blooming big hole out of the solid clay..

With the hole dug it was time for a relaxing bath..

View from the bath!

I have some intresting plans for this area now that the pond is in place involving some resin, plexiglass sheet and some blue led strip lights from ikea. To get the idea I experemented with the lights..

I plan to embed the lights into the base of a modern waterfall that will run under both viaducts. Should be intresting!

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:18 pm

Spent too much time building Potters lane Ian. I havn't run anything out on the garden section since april ! For my birthday video I only used the top outdoor section.

Took another couple of piccys now that the ponds full of water. The reflections of the viaducts in the water look amazing. Will look even better when the landscaping is finished and a few roads and buildings should finish the look nicely.

alleras

Postby alleras » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:43 pm

Looking much better Dave! Good work with the pond, that can't have been an easy task by the look of the sides of the 'crater'. As you say, the refelections in the pond water are really going to set this apart and with the outdoor lighting you've got planned I can't wait to see how it all turns out.

Mick
For the very latest updates, additional photographs and listings of stock available

sheep21

Postby sheep21 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:40 am

looking good, always a pleasure to visit this thread, especially now you back in the garden :D

Steve with the Hat

Postby Steve with the Hat » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:11 am

I've just found this thread and your railway is great! I agree about the pond, the reflections of passing trains will look fantastic. I will keep up with your progress.

steve

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:15 pm

Haven't popped into this thread for ages... wow! Dr Beeching nearly got a hold on your railway mate! glad to see it's returning to glory. I've concentrated on running trains round the Bambrough line garden this year rather than construction. I've still got a plan up my sleeve for a single track branch off the main twin circuit but I need to plan it carefully before i can start on it. I'm going part time at work soon so hopefully I'll have more time to "play"

Keep up the good work

Jules
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:48 am

Any boats going on the pond Dav?
Like me very little work done on the outside part of the railway due to other commitments or the weather.
Here is hoping for the better summer 2010.

Ian

Return to “Garden Railways”