The Heatherburn Garden Railway (00)

Discussion on OO, and O gauge garden model railway design and construction. (scenery, track laying, electronics)
allesclar

Re: The Heatherburn Garden Railway (00)

Postby allesclar » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:32 pm

awesome update here :) really really impressive updates everytime i visit :)
My N gauge 90's Era layout - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18182

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:08 pm

Well here we go with the first update of 2009!

Before I start it would proberly be a good idea to stick up a track plan of the area being worked on so here it is....

This is the approch to st Davids station with the crossovers and junctions all squezed into a cutting roughly 1' wide! When first laid the track 18 months ago I used a lot of old hornby set track points and a dimond crossing to get the arrangement needed. Once the track was wired and test running started I suffered a lot of derailments due to the state of the track and the sharp radius of the pointwork. One of the first 'improvements' made once I got back into work was the replacement of the track. The junction with the dimond crossing was removed and replaced with a series of crossovers using the longest points that peco produce. Not contented with using very long points I also oppted to use live frogs! Needless to say that wiring has been intresting! By now most of you will be fimilar with the basic layout and opperation. As trains enter the garage thay pass a junction before crossing the canal. This junction is one end of a 'chord' that links the inner loop to the down main line. Now normaly this loop is operated as a simple oval with the station at one side and the tmd at the other but when the 'chord' is switched in it becomes a return loop to the garden. So not contented with having to deal with electrofrog points I also have a reversing loop aswell. Well I did say the wiring was 'intresting'! It has taken 12 months for me to get round to wiring the layout as I kept finding myself sutiable distractions but the time has come to bite the bullet. The answer has been to use some relays to do all the switching for me. So all the trackwork in the cutting has been lifted, loose balast removed, all the rail joiners removed and the track relayed. Now without the rail joiners every piece of track is electricaly seprated! First job was to glue four DPCO relays to the baseboard next to the crossovers. Two of the relays switch the frogs on the crossovers (one relay per set of points) while the other two are used to change over the power feeds to the track sections. The wiring between the relays and track runs on the top of the baseboard and will eventualy be hidden with the balast while the relays themselves will be covered with a building. The eventual solution has turned out neat and tidy as the next pic shows......

The wiring that disapears into the distance runs up to the other crossover and will be covered to make it look like 'cable trunking'! Here is the wiring at the other end....

Where rails need to be electricaly connected I have bridged the gaps with copper wire this having the added bonus of making the track supply reliable. The relays are switched in pairs and will be operated via the contacts on the point motors once I can afford to get them! I proberly could have used 4 pole relays but a. I didn't have any and b. this next pic shows the amount of links crammed into a small space!

The two thicker black wires are the feed from the controler to the down line. Last night I made one of those 'exectuive decisions' and decided to bin the two thirty year old hornby controlers and instead use my gaugemaster panel mount that got 'nicked' off my N gauge layout. The eagle eyed on here will notice another relay next to the four control relays. This switches the power for the section of track between the crossovers giving me someware to stable locos during shunting moves. The relay switches power to both rails ensuring that I get no short circuits between the controlers. The section of track mentioned is the new black piece in the next pic...

The pics dont realy give a sense of scale but this section of track will hold two mk2 coaches as seen here being overtaken by a class 45 test train...

This test train kept me amused for about half an hour last night just running from the buffer stops on platform 1 to the overbridge just before the canal area. The choice of loco is deliberat as it's got the longest wheelbase whilst the tanks have all been rewheeled with lower profile wheel sets so if anything will derail garanteed it will be them! This last shot shows the relays mounted in the space between the washing plant and the main line......

The two points on the left that form the crossover between the main line and the loop have had wiring added so that the points no longer provided any switching. Those working with DCC will understand as this is used to keep all the track live. Also worthy of mention here is the lower sidings just visable at the left. The scenic section that I have been working on fits to the left just out of shot whilst the traffic lights are located just off the bridge. Once the work on the electrics is finished attention will turn to the bridge itself and the embankment between the railway and the back of the houses/shops.

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:39 pm

A late night shift on the railway last night has made way for a transformation today. I refer of course to that modelers favourite balasting!! Before tackeling the dreaded task I had a go at scratchbuilding some dummy point motors. I began by looking through some railway books and noting the general design. A rumage through a box of old electronic components produced some old square capacitors. These had one leg removed and then glued next to the point with the remaining leg positioned over the tie bar. Great I thought thats the gearbox linkage sorted. Next the motor assembly itself. For this I cut some plastic tube then fitted some smaler plastic tube inside. Through the middle I pushed a length of copper wire. The motor was then glued next to the gearbox. I then added some more cable ducts made from matchsticks and ran some scrap cable from the ducts to the point motors. Then came the balast. For this I have been using fine fish tank gravel that is sold in big bags for not a lot of pennies and at the end of the day us modelers paint over the stuff anyway! The balast was laid using a clever spoon that had a tube for a handle. This was part to a set that also contained a dropper that I got from a local morisons for 99p. Once the balast was in place I decided to glue it down so out came the PVA. This was mixed the usual way and then applied using the dropper. Then at 12.45 I retired to bed and left the white goo to dry. This morning I checked and it's dry! So the trackbed had a coat of grey primer then a coat of stone effect paint. Heres the results......

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:07 pm

After the paint had dried I decided to have a go at painting the track with some brown acrilic paint. The result is as follows....

Next on the list will be scratchbuilding some ground signals!

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:26 pm

Honist opinion time now! I will be building some working ground signals. To get an idea of size I have printed off one and placed it on the layout. Feedback please.
Do you think the signal is to big or about right?

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:13 pm

Another late night again last night as I experemented with my first ground signal. Construction was simple enough and when I have perfected them I will proberly do a little tutorial. To make the signals all diffrent I decided to change the artwork on the PC slightly. So a blank panel was inserted under the signal covering the numbers and direction arrow. I then added some new arrows in diffrent directions and added new numbers so that they were all diffrent. Just a shame that when printed the numbers were in a diffrent place that they were on the screen! I then laminated the sheet before cutting out the artwork. This was then stuck onto a strip of plasticard and the holes drilled. At this point the laminating came off so note to self next time dont bother laminating! Now the frustrating bit. I first drilled down through the baseboard for the fiber optics. Once I had glued the fibers to the signal then passed them through the baseboard I tested them with a torch. No light. So next I opened the holes out and fitted extra fibers ( 3 per lamp) and drilled the baseboard at an angle. Tested again no light. When the fibers came away in my hane it occured to me that the glue had melted through the plastic fibers. DOH!!! So the last soloution was to glue the signal head in place then pass the fibers through and secure them under the baseboard with some duck tape. Sucess. Heres the proof also note the intresting paint effect on the sleepers....

Now that I have a working prototype I now have to refine it!

allesclar

Postby allesclar » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:53 pm

simply amazing, i love the ballasting workwith the brown paint, looks so realistic. Are you planning on making a plastic body for them ground signals?
My N gauge 90's Era layout - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18182

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:53 pm

Thanks. I may do when they are all in place and wired.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:13 pm

Hi Dave

The ground signals look fine to be fella. Great to see yet another interesting innovation on your fbulous lyout

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Andy316

Postby Andy316 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:32 pm

The signal looks spot-on.

If you've got time, you should do a step-by-step on the "web site article" section.

:D
Hey, it's my railway, I'll run what I want.

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:30 pm

Ok guys heres the link for the long overdue update video.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gEMh6db2_JM

Enjoy! :wink:

sheep21

Postby sheep21 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:40 am

excellent work, your layout never cease to amaze!

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:01 pm

Want to see a block of flats being built? Click the link......
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BnSig9zgRuM

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:32 am

As a form of motivation with the layout I started on the OHLE for the viaduct section yesterday. The aim is to complete a section then hopefully It will give me the final push to get this monster finished! Heres yesterdays progress.......
Taken further back.....
The mast at the left front has had the arms changed as its mounted on the side of the bridge. Origanaly it was fixed to the other side of the canal but has been made redundent by.....
The reson for the change will be apperent in the next pic....
The building was too close to allow the mast to be positioned where I wanted it so out came the refrence books and the gantry was the result. Note also the track that has now all been painted complete with black line of gunge down the centre! Today I will be adding the wires. Watch this space.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:25 pm

Hi Dave

I continue to be utterly mesmerised by your efforts. It's so unbelievably good that...well, I can scarecly believe it! :P

Cheers fella, love the block of flats. Excellent way of utilizing the surroundings :)

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Return to “Garden Railways”