Jules's garden Railway "Bambrough Town" Update

Discussion on OO, and O gauge garden model railway design and construction. (scenery, track laying, electronics)
Metadyneman

Jules's garden Railway "Bambrough Town" Update

Postby Metadyneman » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:19 pm

As many of you already know, my garden railway has been in existence now for some 14 years and it has really served me well in terms of keeping me sane in an otherwise mad world. The main station has for a long time been overdue for a complete rebuild and I have been putting it off for at least three if not four years now. I finally gave in this January when I attempted to repair the cover over the lines where it enters the shed for the 4 millionth time and basically the screwdriver went straight through the wood like a hot knife through butter. The decision was therefore made, Bambrough Town and station would have to be rebuilt.. even if it was the middle of winter! Below are some pictures of the demolished station and some more pictures of progress with the rebuild. It's not finished yet and there is still a lot to do, but I am very pleased with the results so far.
Attachments
Demol1.jpg
Looking like a scene from the aftermath of the Beeching report, Bambrough Town station is razed to the ground
Demol1.jpg (166.2 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
Demol2.jpg
The end is nigh for the old station which had served me very well
Demol2.jpg (161.09 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
Newplats.jpg
Within a week, the new platforms had been installed and gauging tests with Mk3 coaches carried out
Newplats.jpg (135.77 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
Newplats1.jpg
Transformation!!! A brand new station and brand new track on the main and branch lines through the station.
Newplats1.jpg (132.74 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
Newplats 3.jpg
All new platforms have been installed . they are Hornby platforms with Triang Hornby awnings. Full lighting has also been installed along all platforms. The whole station has been completely rewired and electrics are now all waterproofed.
Newplats 3.jpg (131.94 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

Phipps

Re: Jules's garden Railway "Bambrough Town" Update

Postby Phipps » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:16 pm

Forgive my football commentator quote but
"You have to say that's magnificent"
Truly is though & even on this silly little phone, the pics look good.
Did you abandon the subway platform sections?
The waiting rooms are great as is that cheeky little green girder canopy in front of the footbridge.
Looks straight like a station either from the Underground or suburban N London on the ECML.
Lighting just enhances it by a further 60%

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:28 am

Love the footie quote :lol:

The subway sections were moved a bit further down. They are actually under the canopy now. Your phone is telling you lies too because the cheeky little green girder canopy is blue :wink:

I wanted to achieve a the look of a busy suburban station and it would seem from your comments that I have succeeded. Bearing in mind this is all outdoors, I will be interested to see how it looks in 6 months time. I hope it weathers well without too much maintenance. I really appreciate your comments Phipps old chap because I have put a lot of effort into producing something that I hope will endure outdoor life for a while but at the same time look a bit more realistic than a couple of planks of wood made to look like a station which is what I had before. Although it served me well, It was past its time and some of the woodwork was more like paper in strength!

What you see is still a work in progress and it will continue to evolve but at a slightly slower pace than it has done in the last few weeks. Watch out for a film on YouTube in due course. Here are a couple more pics.
Attachments
Newplats 4.jpg
Newplats 4.jpg (98.71 KiB) Viewed 2141 times
Newplats2.jpg
Newplats2.jpg (124.4 KiB) Viewed 2141 times
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:15 am

Of course, I can see the blue now. I know that there are some green ones about, cos there are green girder canopies I have hidden away at my Ex's place.
Alfie is hanging on to them, a couple of station houses from the same era plus a pair of the Triang square signal boxes (you'll see those in my pics from her place).
Im sure the plastic will last but I hope the acetate in those six/eight-window canopies you have will survive anything our climate hoys our way.
Id have been so tempted to go for an East Finchley artdeco one.
Meant to ask-Im guessing the road rises up towards our POV for a bridge, instead of your level crossing?

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:01 am

Yes the road now rises up and then skews over the railway on a bridge. The level crossing to nowhere is now a bridge to nowhere :lol:

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:24 pm

Jules mi' old mucker!

Yep, ghost from NRM past here! And by 'eck, that new station looks just grand :) Great to see (What looks like) an old London Country RF bus too 8)

And I notice a new canopy...you going upmarket then mate? ;)
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

sishades

Postby sishades » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:33 pm

My god.......your alive!!!
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:41 pm

Infrontcat wrote:Jules mi' old mucker!

Yep, ghost from NRM past here! And by 'eck, that new station looks just grand :) Great to see (What looks like) an old London Country RF bus too 8)

And I notice a new canopy...you going upmarket then mate? ;)

Hello my good friend. Yes that is an LC RF. Its a concept models plastic one. They tend to fair better outdoors than others. The canopy was a bit of an afterthought but I'm pleased with it. I have devised a pretty strong anti cat cover to put over the entire station when not in use.

I am well pleased with the new station. It isn't finished yet but I'm waiting for the warmer weather to add detail to it. The Mk1s are still going strong and they have recently been joined by another 7 coach rake of NSE liveried ones.

More updates will come as I get more done.

Lol at the you re still alive comment which I presume was aimed at you Tim :lol:

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:00 pm

Just an update on Jules's garden railway... now entering year 16 of it's illustrious existence. No major construction took place in 2017 but there was a lot of train running!

Latest YouTube video can be seen by clicking HERE

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:06 pm

Ah.. I know this railway! I've seen it many times on YouTube! :D Lovely to see it here.

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:13 pm

Reminds me of Waterloo East. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:16 pm

It has given me years of pleasure, and with me having retired at the end of December I can see it getting a lot of use in 2018!

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:38 pm

Very envious of your very long trains! Thanks for the link
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

burnie

Postby burnie » Wed May 09, 2018 2:09 pm

That looks impressive, I take it you remove the vehicles etc after a running session?

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed May 09, 2018 2:35 pm

I was considering an outdoor line for running 7mm narrow gauge trains on.

Return to “Garden Railways”