Rapido OO 4-2-2 Stirling

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Chops

Rapido OO 4-2-2 Stirling

Post by Chops »

Had to pay up for this one, Out of production. One thing: it doesn't run. Instead, it regally glides, side rods symmetrically swimming, across the British landscape whilst surveying her realm. The level of detail is matched by its extraordinary mechanism. This is not a locomotive, it is an event.
IMG_20220623_155458_1.jpg
IMG_20220623_155707.jpg
IMG_20220623_155546.jpg
Nessie rocks!
Bigmet

Re: Rapido OO 4-2-2 Stirling

Post by Bigmet »

The movement on the rails is exceptional, always so lovely to watch. Enjoy!

There are good photos of these locos in action on the express work they were designed for: no suggestion of 'gliding along'! An eruption at the chimney top, immediately flattening into a long stream above the train; which explains why such a large tender was needed on a loco typically running a maximum 90 mile stint before an engine change, coal and water were consumed at a great rate.

The famous story attached to one of the class is the action of a driver seeing that a freight train was crossing the line ahead of him. He clearly had a grasp of inertia, as he put on all steam for speed, in order to 'punch through' the obstruction - successfully! (Wagons were small and light back then.)

Don't forget what I posted earlier about my experience in getting the tender top off, should that ever be necessary. https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... le#p702178
Bigmet

Re: Rapido OO 4-2-2 Stirling

Post by Bigmet »

Rapido are offering another run of these beauties, this time including a version with the small tender it was long exhibited and operated with once in preservation. (But it looks so much better with the big tender it finished with in service.)

And, not only but also, the 'Humpy'.
https://rapidotrains.co.uk/lner-j52-2-gnr-j13/

This is such excellent news I have posted it twice on this site...