H0 loco recommendations?

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Michaelaface

H0 loco recommendations?

Postby Michaelaface » Mon May 17, 2021 8:33 pm

Hello forum

I've recently gotten into H0 scale stuff, as almost every loco being BR black amazingly has gotten little boring for me to look at, and after spotting a good deal and making an impulse purchase of a Piko "hobby" taurus for ~£50, I've been impressed by what else is out there that can run on my layout, I've since bought a few other Piko items, as for this brand prices can be found that are mostly comparable with UK stuff

however my knowledge of what is good, and what is worth the money is very limited, for example I struggle to see the difference between a lot of items in the piko hobby and expert ranges, aside from price (bit like when hornby market railroad stuff under the superdetail railways branding)

and from examining pictures from the internet a lot of these really expensive models, look to have quite poor detailing (there is a kato steam loco for £300/400 and its entire cab appears to be filled with its motor, like a 1980s lima)

so to try to avoid making any expensive mistakes

what H0 locos/stock from any country, would any of you recommend? ideally reasonably priced, but if it's an outstanding model I'd still consider it! (incase ebay bargains etc can be found)

Mountain

Re: H0 loco recommendations?

Postby Mountain » Tue May 18, 2021 12:46 am

I have recently bought a little secondhand H0 US loco made by Aristocraft which traded under the brand name of "New One".
Though it is quite a small little 0-4-0T, it weighs as much as a loco a few times its size! It has impressed me so far and I have not tried it yet It is around 60 years old now though.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue May 18, 2021 9:44 am

That's too large a question to have any simple answer!

First problem, HO of European or North American prototype produced over the last 70 years is available in vast quantity and variety, and almost all of it will knock all OO made before 2000 clean out of the park!

For example I still have a Rivarossi Big Boy, impulse purchase in 1972 at Victor's on the Pentonville Road. Big motor, shaft drive to both eight coupled wheelsets, a better traction tyre than has ever been used on UK product (transparent, so invisible, and still good, hasn't needed replacement!) remains a good runner (now converted to DCC) and will pull a huge train. The first RTR OO steam loco I purchased that matched this in all of overall appearance, exterior detailing and performance was the Bachmann WD 2-8-0 of 1999.

The Big Boy was £25, when the best Triang-Hornby steam offering was the new 9F, tender driven, for about £9, much the same price as the Wrenn 8F and pacifics, and the Trix A3; and a whitemetal body kit for an 0-6-0 loco and tender was much the same money, and by the time you had bought the necessary chassis kit, wheels, motor, gearset and essential detailing like handrail knobs, you were pretty much up to £25.

Straightforwardly, just jump in on HO, the water is lovely and warm and good to swim about in.

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Fri May 21, 2021 4:26 pm

haha maybe, but if I said whats a good 00 loco to buy I could definitely name a few that I think everyone should have (bachmann D11 jumps straight to mind)

current H0 selection is looking like this

but I'd like some steam locos, and I like lots of detail, found a few "reasonably priced" roco ones on ebay, ordered one, but they all look a little on the old side

also been considering a few of the starter sets, as they can usually be found for quite low prices, but again I'm not sure if they're going to be very "toy-like" or what

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat May 22, 2021 11:07 am

Michaelaface wrote:... if I said whats a good 00 loco to buy I could definitely name a few that I think everyone should have (bachmann D11 jumps straight to mind)...

I very nearly succumbed to a Brawa KPEV S9 Atlantic if that's any help, and there's a good chance that a model of a UP FEF 4-8-4 might one day be acquired, because I have seen this mighty beast in action. (Or any of the N&W J class, NYC Niagara, AT&SF 2900, Milwaukee Hiawatha F7...)

In general release UK OO steam, Hornby's B12/3 would take a lot of beating in my opinion; of what I own only the NRM/Rapido Stirling single exceeds it, largely on technical grounds of competent traction from a completely concealed drive despite the limitations imposed by the awkward layout of a big wheel single.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat May 22, 2021 11:20 am

Bachmann class 46 is a good one, but that is 00.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat May 22, 2021 11:42 am

Is it Roco who do a nice H0 class 08?

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Sat May 22, 2021 2:25 pm

Bigmet wrote:
Michaelaface wrote:... if I said whats a good 00 loco to buy I could definitely name a few that I think everyone should have (bachmann D11 jumps straight to mind)...

I very nearly succumbed to a Brawa KPEV S9 Atlantic if that's any help, and there's a good chance that a model of a UP FEF 4-8-4 might one day be acquired, because I have seen this mighty beast in action. (Or any of the N&W J class, NYC Niagara, AT&SF 2900, Milwaukee Hiawatha F7...)

In general release UK OO steam, Hornby's B12/3 would take a lot of beating in my opinion; of what I own only the NRM/Rapido Stirling single exceeds it, largely on technical grounds of competent traction from a completely concealed drive despite the limitations imposed by the awkward layout of a big wheel single.

the new tooling of the B12? that's been on my list for a while but never gotten round to getting one, mostly due to price/spare money at the time

also a few of the US bachmann locos look quite good! but at the same time the US bachmann seem to get widely panned when I look up reviews, in contrast to european stuff which seems to be met with unanimous praise regardless

again regarding rapido, are their higher prices worth it? their pannier tank looked interesting, but I saw nothing but complaints about it

Mountain wrote:Is it Roco who do a nice H0 class 08?

yes they do the NS 500/600, but I've grown a little bored of seeing UK stuff

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat May 22, 2021 4:13 pm

Michaelaface wrote:... a few of the US bachmann locos look quite good! but at the same time the US bachmann seem to get widely panned when I look up reviews, in contrast to european stuff which seems to be met with unanimous praise regardless...

Among my friends in the USA and Canada there was some surprise 20 some years ago, when I mentioned Bachmann raising the standard of UK RTR OO. In the States Bachmann HO is a brand at the economy end of the market. When they entered that market, there was fierce competition and an overall quality standard way better than that in the UK. Remember that Athearn introduced the centre motor drive in their diesel models in the 1970s.

Side tag: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH_o5xZ8wRU
Bachmann make a model of the N&W J class 4-8-4. Or for a little more there is (or was) a Broadway Limited model. Exciting isn't it?

In short, Bachmann using the technique from HO to produce their 'Blue Riband' OO, were immediately superior to all competition in OO. That's a reflection of how poor Margate Hornby and Lima was. (The same comparison applies to European HO, the early Bachmann 'Blue Riband' product such as the WD 2-8-0 would be regarded as at baseline standard to be considered a model. Nowhere near as refined as the best, and the UK's RTR OO still has a way to go to catch up with the best of HO.)

But considering what Bachmann did to shake up RTR OO they deserve a lot of praise, not just for raising the build standard of RTR OO but for their choice of subjects, dominated by the 'ordinary' locos and stock that any realistic model railway needs in some quantity.

Michaelaface wrote:... rapido, are their higher prices worth it? their pannier tank looked interesting, but I saw nothing but complaints about it...
My sole personal experience is the NRM Stirling single produced by Rapido. For this subject, definitely worth it. Not perfect, but very, very good; and this was achieved on a difficult subject because of its design. I couldn't build that for the same money, and you would be looking somewhere near 4x the price to commission one from an expert builder and painter, to receive an equivalent model.

I know nothing about the Pannier model, but their J70 tram engine for Model Rail which a friend owns is a very nifty piece of work, and I have expended much effort in not being tempted...

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat May 22, 2021 4:50 pm

Ah. I see what you mean. You want something different.

Plenty different from prototypes abroad.

I reached the stage of boredom when I was actually in a position similar to yours but with a few differences, but to make a very long story short, changing scale and taking up freelance modelling made a difference. It was a new fresh start for me where the challenge was to make things to a very limited budget.

Yes. A change can be an entirely new start... A change can be what one is looking for!

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Mon May 24, 2021 2:37 pm

latest h0 purchase, went with the lowest priced/best condition roco steam loco I could find on eBay

apparently its from 1981-1984, incredible!

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”