Merco wagons

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Ken Shabby

Merco wagons

Postby Ken Shabby » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:13 pm

I think these date back to the 50's, I bought them for £1 each late last year. A company called Merco sold sheets with wagon sides and ends printed out , you cut them out and glued them onto thin card or wood to make wagon bodies. I assume parts where available to build your own chassis, but these 3 are fitted to 1950's Triang under frames . One of them has the paper sides glued straight on to a slightly filed down Triang body,
Very basic , but nice all the same.

Ken

cardwagons2.jpg

cardwagons1.jpg

Bigmet

Re: Merco wagons

Postby Bigmet » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:04 pm

Very neat. Hamblings handled the distribution of these, and a couple of other makes of similar printed wagon sides. They also supplied a supporting range of components from which to build the running gear. (If you had the cash to afford marquetry veneer in a suitably fine grained wood it was possible to build open wagons with a proper unpainted wood interior, suitably distressed to represent use.) The Peco 'Wonderful Wagons' range was effectively the continuation of this wagon construction method, but conveniently with all the required parts in the box.

windcutter9f

Postby windcutter9f » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:17 am

How i miss Merco smokey brick brickpaper today!.
Ray.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:55 pm

The little backstreet modelshop that was my supplier for about ten years, had this marvelous box full of printed sheets, for just about anything. I bought a sheet of PO coal waggon sides for a few pence. What amazed me was that when I got it home, they exactly fitted the Hornby Dublo tin plate open waggons that I had. Now HD weren't great on dimensional accuracy so they were obviously made that length as it was as good as any other, anyone wanting super accuracy wouldn't be buying litho printed card anyway. From time to time I've found litho covered tin plate waggons in the trays that are inevitably stored beneath the tables at trains fayres. Usually the ones that weren't applied well in the first place. Some of the old designs appear along with the likes or Bilteezi at exhibition sales stands.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

21C1

Postby 21C1 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:46 pm

You can still get Merco lithos and Bilteezi sheets from Freestone Model Accessories. http://freestonemodel.co.uk/

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:13 am

Thanks that was the exhibition stand I was thinking of.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”