Rivarossi and ACMERTren.IT Rolling Stock

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
David130880

Rivarossi and ACMERTren.IT Rolling Stock

Postby David130880 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:22 am

Good morning All.

I've recently become a member to this platform after a long absence from railway modeling. In my research of the era/region/period that I've being conducting my searches I came across a chapter on 'Named Trains' which lead me to reading up on the 'Night Ferry' that operated pre/post war between London - Paris/Brussels up until 1980.

The rolling stock in particular has fascinated me, the idea of running 'Companie Internationale des Wagon-lits or International Sleeping Car Company' rolling stock on a layout alongside more typical examples of the Southern Railway prompted me to investigate which manufacturers may still produce these coaches.

Rivarossi and ACMETreni.IT are two such manufacturers however as yet I'm to determine whether they're prototypical. I wonder whether any of the members here can shed any light on either manufacturer? have you previously purchased their rolling stock, can you recommend any UK suppliers? have you experienced any difficulties in operating the stock on a OO gauge layout?

Assuming I'd likely operate a completely authentic diagram the rolling stock would require SR traction (West Country Class or similar) adjustments will need to be made to couplings to make everything compatible.

Looking forward to hearing from you with your insight and recommendations.

Best regards,

David

Bigmet

Re: Rivarossi and ACMERTren.IT Rolling Stock

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:50 am

Welcome back to the world of model rail. Much has changed in RTR provision as you may have realised. Take some time to get acquainted with what's now on offer!

You will have no great trouble operating HO stock from these makers on an OO layout. The track gauge is exactly the same as HO, which is what continental models run on, and thanks to the widely adopted NEM coupler pocket, matching couplers can be clipped into both OO and HO.

The difference is scale. HO models are made at 3.5mm/ft, OO at 4mm/ft. The coaches will look small next to a UK locomotive or other OO rolling stock. Some folks can live with this, others find they cannot; and we have no idea how you will react!. As yet no RTR OO production of the CIWL cars has happened or been announced, although there is occasional 'rumouring'.

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”