OO Terrier from Rails of Sheffield

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Bigmet

OO Terrier from Rails of Sheffield

Postby Bigmet » Wed May 13, 2020 10:11 am

Anyone got one, or have one on order? I am as always curious about the mechanism arrangement, how well it runs, ease of fitting a decoder; if anyone cares to comment. Petite mechanisms can be very useful...

Richard Lee

Re: OO Terrier from Rails of Sheffield

Postby Richard Lee » Thu May 14, 2020 10:20 am

I have seen a favourable review from Jenny Kirk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICUJFlbZs4U

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun May 17, 2020 1:53 pm

After a couple of days roaming the net I have found what I need to know about the mechanism. Motor, drive train, DCC socket, all tidy and competent. Pick up (it now emerges following more dismantling) is conventional wipers on wheelback, so that's good too, no concern at all about split axles, steel axles, force fitted wheels.
Last edited by Bigmet on Mon May 18, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Sun May 17, 2020 8:44 pm

Also whether the split axles are reliable (i.e. as used in the old Triang / Hornby Rocket) or less so (Kader production for Mainline, Replica and Bachmann)

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon May 18, 2020 10:17 am

Turns out it has press fitted steel axle wheelsets and wiper pick up, both of which are well proven, so hurrah!

Double hurrah, as this makes it likely the D class will be arranged likewise: and that is a model I would like, quite simply the prettiest 4-4-0 ever...

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Mon May 18, 2020 7:36 pm

New photo has emerged on another forum showing it does actually have wiper pick ups - the brass bushes are actually bearings and they do not have a split chassis.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Mon May 25, 2020 7:54 pm

I wouldn't trust Jenny's video, pretty much glossed over everything that wasn't right, coal rails, cab, pipework, smokebox number plate, after all.... she is a friend of Rails of Sheffield and well you don't want to hurt that friendship now with a bad review do we....

They come factory fitted with a speaker... even dcc ready has one, its quite compact but untidy inside.

A more honest review can be found here...
https://youtu.be/M1N93fZWKY4

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue May 26, 2020 9:53 am

As ever, it's make up your own mind on the evidence of your own observations and knowledge, and never on the basis of a reviewer's opinion.

From my perspective of only being interested in the mechanism, this model is OK, but I'd probably buy the Hornby if I wanted a Terrier mech, as it is both cheaper and simpler.

(Off topic, but an example of 'Reviewery'. The well known 'Sam's Trains' review of the Heljan O2 which comes titled ''Worst Ever' if I remember correctly is a good example. Hopefully it will have warned those running a carpet railway off! But it wouldn't even for a moment affect my opinion, because I have the experience to deal with the problems, from a background of constructing models for myself. And I have 2 examples of this model performing really well on my layout and am pleased with them, and will buy the GNR versions as and when Heljan produce them.

Second only to the Hattons/Heljan Beyer-Garratt, it's the most complete 'Curate's egg' of a model: good in parts. Some aspects are excellent, fine wheel flanges, plentiful weight combined with a good drive line for excellent heavy freight pulling power. But there are also distinct weaknesses and inaccuracies. I can work around these and correct them, and it is a lot easier than building a model from a kit, so I will live with that. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone with a set track layout, or any who would consider the Bachmann WD or Hornby O1 2-8-0's too easy to knock detail parts off. By comparison to the Heljan 2-8-0, these are indestructible Titans...)

Richard Lee

Postby Richard Lee » Tue May 26, 2020 10:53 am

My new tooling Hornby Terrier runs well, and is quiet, unlike the old tooling ones. (It also looks better than the old tooling, but that doesn't seem to what you are after in this instance.)

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue May 26, 2020 11:55 am

That's just me, always looking out for suitable mechanisms! Compact and good steam mechanisms are always something that I Iike to keep informed about.

It's been pretty clear that Hornby's Terrier is a good piece, and yet better in appearance since they tweaked it after the first releases to fix some detail errors. This is a useful choice to have for what is a popular subject: Hornby's lacking one or two detail refinements but at a good price, Rails version offering several enhancements for more money. (Though to be brutally honest the poor fit of the separate chimney top on the Rails Terrier kills the claim of the 'pedigree Terrier': way off the breed standard there, like a dog with no nose!)

When it comes to sales, I would expect that Hornby have made a killing on this one; firstly got the benefit of another business' advertising their intentions, and were then a comfortable year ahead in going on sale, and able to make revisions before the competitor was available. Hopefully Rails next two will have the field to themselves, both fine choices of handsome pre-group designs never previously to be had in RTR OO.

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”