Hattons Announces 4 and 6 wheel coaches

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Alexander Court

Hattons Announces 4 and 6 wheel coaches

Postby Alexander Court » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:34 am

As part of something called Project Genesis Hattons Model Railways have announced with over 300 variations, priced roughly above the £30 these won't be available until 2021, time to get saving?

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

Alexander Court

Re: Hattons Announces 4 and 6 wheel coaches

Postby Alexander Court » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:45 am

Here is a link to the page, which details the different liveries and future ones to be released.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=594

Alexander

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:22 pm

Blimey, an impressive announcement, the sheer breadth is amazing! From my point of view £30 for a fully tooled 6-wheel chassis sounds tempting all by itself, Hopefully overall dimensions will be amenable to even more variation.
It's a shame they didn't make it accurate for at least one company but I can understand why they've done what they've done, if they'd done the 4 wheelers as square panelling and the 6-wheels as round that might have been interesting.
Also potentially insightful to look at the locos they've matched their rakes to, a couple there that don't appear to be RTR, yet...!
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:53 pm

Just what we need for the clubs West Bay layout
BUT Mar 2021 ???.............
For GWR you could always make Ratio kits at £10 each ?
Although I'm so slow with coaches, my 4 are still not
finished since starting 2010 ish

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:14 pm

The price per coach is less then I would have thought, but so many attractive liveries that it's going to be hard to narrow the wish list down to something manageable :lol:

The announcement today with such a long lead time sounds like they are 'staking their claim' and trying to scare off others who may duplicate.

The version with lights features a DCC socket which is interesting!

I have my eye on the SECR versions, but interestingly their formation guides suggest 5 coaches for the P class but their 'packs' then come as a set of 4. The guides also have a D class listed so fingers crossed that's a good sign for a release of it in RTR, although with 9 coaches suggested it's going to add up :lol:

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:23 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote:...look at the locos they've matched their rakes to, a couple there that don't appear to be RTR, yet...!

That's the aspect that caught my eye. LNWR Precedent and SECR Wainwright D class. Both of them quite possible as NRM commissions. Personally I am little surprised that the D class hasn't been seen yet. Such a beautiful example of the British 4-4-0, very successful in service, and still running in the BR period.

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:31 pm

My word! Now all we need is to see them in N gauge and I can die happy AND broke!

Firefly16

Postby Firefly16 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:39 pm

Scope for I o W fans if they produce them in SR/BR green - would go well with the Kernow O2.

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:24 pm

Very nice and very pleased these will come on the market indeed.
I never had faith in making coaches for myself but did like the look of the ratio kits so some of these will defintely be joining the fleet. :D
Thanks for the info.
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:30 pm

...and right away they miss out the full brakes/luggage vans.

Liking the LNWR versions though.
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:42 pm

Minimum radius -- Radius 2. No tight curves then.

Loving the LNWR and L & Y ones.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:27 am

glencairn wrote:Minimum radius -- Radius 2. No tight curves then...

Would you expect any different? That's the de facto standard for current OO, because the set track point has a substitution radius 2 curve, so the manufacturers quote that.

You can be confident the four wheelers will manage a smaller radius, they will work just as longer wheelbase four wheel wagons do. Although they may become 'uncooperative' if you try pushing a train of more than two or three on a small radius curve, due to unavoidable mechanical effects...

Six wheelers, there's the real fun as these are a challenge to make work well in model form, the difficulty increasing as the radius reduces. Will the designer go for a form of the Cleminson arrangement which steers the end wheelsets into the curve by using the sideways displacement of the centre wheelset? Whatever is done, these are likely to be on or near the limit at radius 2; which is already a very tight curve.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:22 am

I notice that the blurb says six wheelers will have a sliding centre axle to accommodate tighter curves and it will be easily removable. So they are obviously thinking about the possible problems.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:44 am

Bufferstop wrote:I notice that the blurb says six wheelers will have a sliding centre axle to accommodate tighter curves and it will be easily removable. So they are obviously thinking about the possible problems.

As Bigmet says, six wheelers are not easy to make to run right. If they can achieve that, they might sell some just for the chassis

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:17 pm

Great idea from Hattons, although it's odd that there are no LBSCR liveries listed seeing as there are three LBSCR livered RTR loco's available at the moment (4 if you count the many second-hand E2's out there).

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”